***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Butler is amazing, but some of those drops he's had this year cannot help him at all. If I were him, I'd only go if I were 1st round pick and maybe very early 2nd rounder. IMO he still needs to work on focusing on catching the stuff he should be catching. Tons of upside though and for sure 1st round talent, but those dropped passes are unfortunate. I'd say if he wasn't dropping some of those, he'd be a 1st rounder lock already, but I doubt he is right now. IMO he should stay another year and work on his hands.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
ISU fans have major ISU fan syndrome with Butler. If he declares he’s going to go high. DM...idk. But Butler
Butler is amazing, but some of those drops he's had this year cannot help him at all. If I were him, I'd only go if I were 1st round pick and maybe very early 2nd rounder. IMO he still needs to work on focusing on catching the stuff he should be catching. Tons of upside though and for sure 1st round talent, but those dropped passes are unfortunate. I'd say if he wasn't dropping some of those, he'd be a 1st rounder lock already, but I doubt he is right now. IMO he should stay another year and work on his hands.

I’ll probably get panned for this but imo you can either catch or you can’t by this time in your career. if you have drop issues now then you’re going to have drop issues going forward.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
There's no chance Montgomery is here next year. If he doesn't declare, I'll have serious questions about his mental state. Just watching him is a thing of beauty--it's unbelievable what he does to make people miss, break tackles, and find running lanes (which he has to do exceptionally well at ISU to get the yards he does!). Risking another year for no pay and chance of injury is complete insanity. As good as ISU's prospects are, we aren't going to be a playoff team so there's just nothing more to play for here except MAYBE a shot at the BigXII title.

Butler is a 50/50. Sometimes I just can't tell if his drops are effort or hands related. It just looks sometimes like he isn't trying all that hard to catch them. If it is just an effort thing, he could stay and improve his draft stock. He's definitely got the physical talent to excel and also runs great routes from what I can tell (not an expert so correct me if I'm wrong). If he thinks he's at his best now he's going to declare, and he'll definitely be drafted, but how far down is a crap shoot.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
ISU fans have major ISU fan syndrome with Butler. If he declares he’s going to go high. DM...idk. But Butler

I’ll probably get panned for this but imo you can either catch or you can’t by this time in your career. if you have drop issues now then you’re going to have drop issues going forward.

Butler's drops are concentration related. He needs to concentrate on routine catches like he does on the circus catches. That is correctable.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

The NFL is similar to the NBA. It's all about athleticism. Obvious flaws (not speaking about Butler specifically) are overlooked if the player is an "athletic freak". It's why guys like Fultz go #1 overall and the Monte Morris' of the world go in the 2nd round.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The NFL is similar to the NBA. It's all about athleticism. Obvious flaws (not speaking about Butler specifically) are overlooked if the player is an "athletic freak". It's why guys like Fultz go #1 overall and the Monte Morris' of the world go in the 2nd round.

Troy Williamson was drafted in the early 1st round by the Vikings. Had freakish speed. Couldn’t catch a ball to save his ass. So agree that NFL drafts on potential.

Butler is a freakish athlete. Has great upside. But he drops easy passes almost every game it seems. That will drop him. Yet it only takes one NFL team to overlook that weakness. Having Purdy at QB helps immensely. Accurate placement of throws. Butler will get drafted pretty high IMO. But most likely a Day 2 pick. Which is really good. But if he would come back and cleans up those drops then he is a sure 1st round pick IMO. It is his decision. Whatever he decides is fine with me.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

I believe the feedback he received from the NFL earlier this year was that he needed to be more consistent in catching the ball. After starting out that way, he has regressed in the past 3-4 games. I recall him dropping catchable balls in each of those games, so not sure he's answered the NFL's concerns. I don't expect both him and DM to come back next year but if they did, we would be a conference contender again.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'll be very interested to see his 40 time. He breaks a lot of tackles no doubt, but I wonder if he has the speed to get through the small creases in the nfl, and turn a 4 yard run into a 15 or 20.

I'm guessing the forty time won't be great.

Not many backs house long runs in the NFL anyway.

I think his great potential is in the passing game and short yardage situations.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I have read scouting reports and the NFL teams are very aware that our o-line sucks. In fact, the ones I have read say that this makes Montgomery even more impressive.

Yeah, as the saying goes: The good news is that the offensive line returns next year. The bad news is that the entire offensive line returns next year.

Of course, the line will improve with another year of lifting, practice, etc., and most will be seniors.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I'm guessing the forty time won't be great.

Not many backs house long runs in the NFL anyway.

I think his great potential is in the passing game and short yardage situations.
Agree, but he needs just enough speed to get to the second level.

I think he compares almost exactly to Kareem Hunt. Both have size, catch the ball, break a ton of tackles, and rarely ever fumble. Hunt ran a 4.62 at the combine. That is where Montgomery will need to be.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I originally said I had heard Butler was planning on coming back before the season. That is no longer the case. I expect him to declare

With the season he's having and the way he's shooting up draft boards that's not too much of a surprise. Good for him, ISU needs more successful NFL players to sell on the recruiting trial.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Agree, but he needs just enough speed to get to the second level.

I think he compares almost exactly to Kareem Hunt. Both have size, catch the ball, break a ton of tackles, and rarely ever fumble. Hunt ran a 4.62 at the combine. That is where Montgomery will need to be.

I bet he's a bit faster than that, I don't think he's as thick as Hunt is he?

From watching him he has plenty of burst, just not top end. I'd bet his early splits in the 40 are up to par with his overall time being slow for RB's.

The only shame with Montgomery going is never really getting to see him have a full season with a decent O line. I think it'd be a season worthy of Heisman consideration.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I bet he's a bit faster than that, I don't think he's as thick as Hunt is he?
I was curious, so I looked it up. Hunt was 5-11 216 at the combine. Montgomery, on Iowa St roster is listed 5-11 219. Crazy

I'm sure Hunt has bulked up, and added weight since, but he is still listed at 216 on the chiefs roster.

Reactions: bawbie and Bigman38

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Butler and Monty are going to get drafted. If you get drafted you get a contract. That is what they need to do. They are both top 5 in the country at their position and have lead ISU to an even better season than the last year with some ridiculous numbers. It would be good for ISU if they started to get guys to go pro early.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think Montgomery will be viewed closer to James Conner (4.65) than Kareem Hunt, although he's Hunt's size. Alvin Kamara is another interesting comp in the same size range, but he ran a 4.56 and isn't a "bruising" type back.

Conner, Hunt and Kamara were all 3rd round picks.

Sony Michel is 5'11" 215# as well, and ran a 4.5, and was a first round pick.

As another 3rd round comp: David Johnson measured 6'1", 224# and ran a 4.50.

Over the last 10 years there have been an average of 4.5 RBs drafted in the first 2 rounds. There just aren't many - I don't think Montgomery will get earlier than the 3rd round regardless of what he does, it's just not the way the NFL drafts today.

I think Butler likely goes, because he has freak-physical projectable attributes - but he may get told to come back and catch everything thrown at him. The drops are troubling.

I think Montgomery is 50/50, one because he's likely never a 1st round pick, and two because he's a different cat who has different priorities than other similar players.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Speed will be the issue for Montgomery. Breaking tackles in the NFL is far different than in college. And Butler drops a lot of easy passes. I see them more likely as Day 2 picks rather than Day 1. And even Day 3 picks if teams get on the Negative Nancy train. Hell, Aaron Rodgers went from a lock to be one of the first 2 picks to sliding all the way to Pick #24 by Green Bay. The Draft is fickle. The Minnesota Vikings drafted Dmitrius Underwood in the 1st Round. Nothing makes sense in the Draft and nothing is guaranteed.

Speed isn't his issue. Vision could be his issue.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

In general, you're exactly right. Drop issues don't get fixed at this stage in the game so either your upside negates that or it doesn't. For Lazard, it didn't. That said, Lazard isn't the athlete Butler is and I don't think it's particularly close.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
DM buzz seems to be building. Heard commentators on both Fox and ESPN this weekend say he will be the first back taken. Wouldn't be surprised if he is in the top 3 RB in the draft.

He should be. Outstanding elusiveness and power. Really solid blocker and receiving out of the backfield. Great character. He seems like a low risk, high upside pick to me.