*** Official Marist vs ISU Gameday Thread ***

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Maybe, maybe not, but it's a lot easier to play PG when your fellow perimeter players are able to get open and shoot.

For whatever reason, other than the K-State game, Mansfield disappeared toward the second half of the season. BF said earlier that our failure wouldn't be because of PG play, but I think she can only do what she can do, and when the other guards don't help out much, I think she gets burned a lot because of it. Let's face it, for as awesome a player Bolte is, she is not the best ball handler, and not having a good shooter, who can also dribble penetrate to the bucket, was our biggest weakness this year.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure what some here were listening to...BF did not blame Anna for the loss. He somewhat pointed out the obvious--that she struggles to guard in space--which she did. He also pointed out that when Marist went on their run in the first half our posts were turning the ball over...which they did...Poppens and Prins had 8 of our 11 first half turn overs.

I do agree with those who say we got out coached today---Marist executed at a much higher level than we did for longer periods of the game.

The usual suspects here are complaining about BF antics during the game...I've never understood that either. So it's ok for Pat Summit to scream at her players, but it's not ok for BF? They are Div 1 scholarship athletes--this isn't some Church Rec league game.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
You know I didnt watch the game and follow the girls through here but some of you guys need to get a grip and reread what you are posting. Second guessing a coach with the number of wins that Fennely has and saying he needs to recruit better???? C'mon the guys a Hall of Fame coach and I think he would know a hell of lot more about what is going on than the posters. Sometimes its smarter to just back away from the keyboard take a deep breath and then type. (Maybe I should follow my own advice)

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I also thought Anna did a good job of rebounding in traffic. She struggles with that, but she came down with a lot of rebounds she didn't get in the past.

I'm not listening to the postgame, but there's a difference between BF saying Anna can't guard in space and he had trouble figuring out how to use her defensively (all of which is true) and blaming her for the loss.

BF blamed the loss in his first statement: lack of balanced scoring and too many turnovers in the post.
But then he referenced Prins and her defensive issues, and how that limited the team. She was the only player that he specifically mentioned in a negative light.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
For whatever reason, other than the K-State game, Mansfield disappeared toward the second half of the season. BF said earlier that our failure wouldn't be because of PG play, but I think she can only do what she can do, and when the other guards don't help out much, I think she gets burned a lot because of it. Let's face it, for as awesome a player Bolte is, she is not the best ball handler, and not having a good shooter, who can also dribble penetrate to the bucket, was our biggest weakness this year.

Totally agree with your analysis. Our perimeter game was really suspect all year. We really really need a couple of good shooters and a good dribble drive player.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
BF blamed the loss in his first statement: lack of balanced scoring and too many turnovers in the post.
But then he referenced Prins and her defensive issues, and how that limited the team. She was the only player that he specifically mentioned in a negative light.

And didn't mention being outcoached either I'm guessing?

Seriously.. one thing I cannot stand is head coaches that blame their players for everything, without taking some responsiblity themselves. Sounds like Steve Alford.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006

But again, he was not ripping her. He was simply stating the obvious--she cannot guard a smaller player in space. I don't know many 6' 7" women who can. And Marist took advantage of that down the stretch.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
And didn't mention being outcoached either I'm guessing?

Seriously.. one thing I cannot stand is head coaches that blame their players for everything, without taking some responsiblity themselves. Sounds like Steve Alford.

This simply did not happen. He did not blame Anna. If you are not going to listen to the post game, please stop commenting on it.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not sure what some here were listening to...BF did not blame Anna for the loss. He somewhat pointed out the obvious--that she struggles to guard in space--which she did. He also pointed out that when Marist went on their run in the first half our posts were turning the ball over...which they did...Poppens and Prins had 8 of our 11 first half turn overs.

Who said he did? He said the "story of the game" was lack of balanced scoring and turnovers in the post, as I said.
Then he proceeded to single out Prins and her defensive issues, and how it forces him to adjust his team defense to cover for her. Or, I guess he "somewhat pointed it out," as you delicately put it.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Who said he did? He said the "story of the game" was lack of balanced scoring and turnovers in the post, as I said.
Then he proceeded to single out Prins and her defensive issues, and how it forces him to adjust his team defense to cover for her. Or, I guess he "somewhat pointed it out," as you delicately put it.

So he states the obvious---so what? How could anyone watch the last 4 minutes of the game and not notice Marist players taking Anna off the bounce and either scoring or drawing a foul. It's not a criticism of Anna, it's just the way it happened.

BF tried to do some offense/defense subbing, but could not always avoid what was a bad defensive match up with Anna.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

you know because Anna is 6 7 everyone thinks she should "dominate," and it seems her game is always evaluated more than anyone. Pop really had an off game today. Hallie made stupid decisions and got 4 fouls. Jess had 2 quick fouls that put our defense in jeopardy early which caused a lot of the run for Marist. Mansfield and Cole never passed to a wide open Jess, opting to force it into either a double teamed Bolte or Prins.

But such is the way of it. A lot of the attention has been on Anna all season because she is 6 7. She had a lot more impact last year because we had better perimeter players and got more one-on-one looks up high and down low.

And, for what is worth, those travels she got called for, are not called on Griner, nor are called in the men's game. And although she and Pop had 8 turnovers in the first half, that was in large part due to Marist double teaming or triple teaming them because our outside guards won't take the open look.

Last edited:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
So he states the obvious---so what? How could anyone watch the last 4 minutes of the game and not notice Marist players taking Anna off the bounce and either scoring or drawing a foul. It's not a criticism of Anna, it's just the way it happened.

BF tried to do some offense/defense subbing, but could not always avoid what was a bad defensive match up with Anna.

that's not an Anna problem, that's a coaching problem. Most of the top women's teams switch 1 through 4 or 1 through 3 and don't force their post to guard dribble penetration. He touts our defense, but to me that's a fundamental defensive junk schematic. But I am not a hall of fame caliber coach, he is, so he probably had his reasons.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
you know because Anna is 6 7 everyone thinks she should "dominate," and it seems her game is always evaluated more than anyone. Pop really had an off game today. Hallie made stupid decisions and got 4 fouls. Jess had 2 quick fouls that put our defense in jeopardy early which caused a lot of the run for Marist. Mansfield and Cole never passed to a wide open Jess, opting to force it into either a double teamed Bolte or Prins.

But such is the way of it. A lot of the attention has been on Anna all season because she is 6 7. She had a lot more impact last year because we had better perimeter players and got more one-on-one looks up high and down low.

And, for what is worth, those travels she got called for, are not called on Griner, nor are not called in the men's game. And although she and Pop had 8 turnovers in the first half, that was in large part due to Marist double teaming or triple teaming them because our outside guards won't take the open look.

+1

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
that's not an Anna problem, that's a coaching problem. Most of the top women's teams switch 1 through 4 or 1 through 3 and don't force their post to guard dribble penetration. He touts our defense, but to me that's a fundamental defensive junk schematic. But I am not a hall of fame caliber coach, he is, so he probably had his reasons.

I will preface this by saying I didn't see the game, but listened on the radio.

Switching only 1 through 3 or 4 does not work nearly as well when all 5 players can shoot from outside. It opens up the pick and pop for the 5 if try to hedge. If you go under it opens the 3 pointer for the ball handler. If you fight over the top it opens up the driving lane for the ball handler.

Listening to the game it sounded like that was exactly the type of team Marist had.

Nomar33

Mar 14, 2011
Just wanted to say it was a great game - our deep bench really helped us. After the game there was not one Iowa St fan who walked by without congradulating us - very classy. Golld luck next year.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Allot of you sound like Iowa fans sounded when they got rid of Tom Davis. Look how that turned out for them. I guess I am happy with making the dance every year and making a deeper run every once in a while.

Reactions: Rick

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Allot of you sound like Iowa fans sounded when they got rid of Tom Davis. Look how that turned out for them. I guess I am happy with making the dance every year and making a deeper run every once in a while.
THIS

We should never lose sight of the fact that we still have a good woman's team.
If we can call a down year a year that we go to the Dance - then I am all for that. Of course I want more than that - but let's not forget how lucky we have been to see some of the things woman's basketball has done at ISU.

Here's to next year!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I'm surprised at some of the negativity. The wbb and wrestling teams still had things to play for in March and should be congratulated.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You guys should definitely appreciate what you have. Not doing that has gotten Iowa's men's program in lousy shape.

Do I wish that the U of I hadn't totally bungled C. Vivian Stringer's situation after her husband died? Absolutely. If they had been more understanding, she would likely still be here. But they weren't, so she found somebody (Rutgers) that was, and I'm happy that she found a better situation for herself and her family.

I really like Bluder, she's a good coach, and a good fit in Iowa City. But Viv was an even better fit, and one of the top 5 women's coaches of all time (#3 in my book).

But unless Stringer were to come knocking on our door, I wouldn't want to get rid of Bluder, even if we don't advance this year.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It's not like anyone here is advocating running Fennelly off. I hope he's here until he retires, and I hope that's a long way off. It doesn't mean he should be immune to all criticism, though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron