*** Official Kansas State vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
This defensive effort so far is very disappointing to see from a 5th year player.

I think part of it is the coach doesnt know what to do with him. Hes a small 5 or a slow 4. We have 3 bigs yet we never play 2 of them at the same time.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Sucks to say it but both seniors need to take a back seat, both are role players that aren't going to change anything about the season. Let the young guys play. Foster and Harris are the only ones who play with any energy, Solo just slows the game down and JCL is too erratic. We played our best ball last night when JCL was on the bench.

I was annoyed when Prohm brought him back in to finish the game the last few minutes because he didn't add anything. He is Nixon 2.0. Seems like a good guy, just not a good basketball player at this level. Plus when you have both him and Bolton out there, the defense just gets even worse. He also took Foster out at the end which was another dumb decision.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was annoyed when Prohm brought him back in to finish the game the last few minutes because he didn't add anything. He is Nixon 2.0. Seems like a good guy, just not a good basketball player at this level. Plus when you have both him and Bolton out there, the defense just gets even worse. He also took Foster out at the end which was another dumb decision.

Foster had a long long run prior to that sub, he had to be gassed and it looks like the ankle is still an issue. But Foster needs to start and I actually like him playing the 3. It messes up the defensive alignment and someone is going to have a bad matchup on that end but so what?

Reactions: Halincandenza

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
He has never been good defensively. He was getting abused last night on the defensive end. Horrible pick and roll defense by ISU and specifically by him and horrible help defense in other situations. He got abused be a crappy Freshman. Just painful to watch. That is why I think they need to get Foster out there more. He might make some mistakes as a Freshman defensively but at least he has the length and athleticism to alter some shots and make passes more difficult. Young has neither.

Our starting lineup has gotten their butts kicked in every game this season. Time to change it up.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Foster had a long long run prior to that sub, he had to be gassed and it looks like the ankle is still an issue. But Foster needs to start and I actually like him playing the 3. It messes up the defensive alignment and someone is going to have a bad matchup on that end but so what?
He is much better this early on than I expected because he missed so much time. I just hope that with him and Dubar progress in the offseason, they get Hinson back and Hunter plays to his ranking and hype. Then they might actually be fun to watch next year.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Conditt was a late rising 3 star from the smaller school side of Chicago HS sports. No clue why people thought he was going to be some amazing player. Plus everyone got their wish and they bulked him up and now he’s slow and can’t get off the floor. Enjoy the fruits message board S&C Warriors.
Ya him being stronger has nothing to do with his lack of intensity.

• Agree

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
While it's with a heavy heart I say this, because he has been loyal to the program almost to a fault, Solo hurts this team. Or at least did last night and has this season. He provides a little on offense, but is such a hole on defense right now and really struggles to rebound, which we have known for years now. Prohm made a lot of questionable decisions/ non decisions last night, but having Solo out there with the run n gun offense at the end of the game was laughably awful coaching.

No idea what to think of j. Johnson. At times he looks like he might be our best player. At other times it looks like he doesn't belong on a Big 12 basketball court. I think he's another Talley but with the caveat that occasionally one of his awkward looking 3's finds its way thru the net. Awful game last night out of him, JCL, and even though he had moments offensively, Bolton was hugely disappointing, possibly the worst game I've seen him play for us.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Solo needs to play around 10 minutes a game. There's a role for him there. But he just is too injured to contribute regular minutes.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Ya him being stronger has nothing to do with his lack of intensity.
And inability to block out. Plus, you can gain muscle and still be fast and it can actually increase jumping ability and quickness. But maybe has just added bad weight and not necessarily muscle.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

The Prohm special!

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Solo needs to play around 10 minutes a game. There's a role for him there. But he just is too injured to contribute regular minutes.

I know he's had past injuries that kept him out last year, but I didn't hear if he has a new injury, or reoccurring old injury this year?
Man, I can't recall a season where Prohm started with an entire intact roster: early pro departures, desertions, injuries, illnesses and medical issues.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I genuinely feel bad for Solo. I don't think it's due to lack of trying. He just can't move anymore.

Solo is one of my faves. I don't think its effort. He is too small to defend the 5 against anyone with real size, and not quick enough to guard the 4. He should be an effort guy coming off the bench; a poor man's Ejim. Or else use him situationally for mismatches down low when available. Or to spell other bigs who need a breather or foul trouble. Gods, I am an idiot and can understand this.

Unfortunately, CSP doesn't understand anything about how to best use players strengths, and certainly "situational basketball" is a foreign concept. Plus you gotta play YOUR SENIORS.

So hard to watch these guys being tortured with this mismanagement.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I know he's had past injuries that kept him out last year, but I didn't hear if he has a new injury, or reoccurring old injury this year?
Man, I can't recall a season where Prohm started with an entire intact roster: early pro departures, desertions, injuries, illnesses and medical issues.

I shouldn't have used the word "injured" in the present tense as I have no idea if he has any current injuries. My larger point is I think all the wear-and-tear on his body has left him pretty immobile and that's why he struggles to guard or rebound.

Reactions: Go2Guy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Solo is one of my faves. I don't think its effort. He is too small to defend the 5 against anyone with real size, and not quick enough to guard the 4. He should be an effort guy coming off the bench; a poor man's Ejim. Or else use him situationally for mismatches down low when available. Or to spell other bigs who need a breather or foul trouble. Gods, I am an idiot and can understand this.

Unfortunately, CSP doesn't understand anything about how to best use players strengths, and certainly "situational basketball" is a foreign concept. Plus you gotta play YOUR SENIORS.

So hard to watch these guys being tortured with this mismanagement.

He's a true 4, a PF, a dinosaur in 2020 cbb. There is a role for him but it's small and situational.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I totally disagree....Prohm is the one that brings it up. If I wanted a theologian as coach I'd call The Pope. Give me a break.

Obviously Steve's religious beliefs are a huge part of life & identity. Some people with strong religious beliefs are quiet about it, others like Steve are vocal about sharing their religious beliefs.

Using your logic if we had a black coach who was very vocal about his support of Black Social Justice issues, would it be OK to mock/attack his race? Or if we had a coach was same sex and outspoken of their LGBTQ rights, would it be OK to mock/attack their views?