*** Official Kansas State Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Some thoughts:

1. I listened to the post game podcast from CW and he obviously knows more than me, but I could not disagree with him more about Jacobson not being good tonight. I thought he was SO good, especially early when we were building that lead. He was so active on defense. Watch the first 12 minutes and I think you'd be more impressed with him.

2. I also think that while CW called the game ugly, there were some good things. For example, we never gave that lead up. Frankly most of the second half it was in the 7-10 point range. Considering we were without our best player (and the last time we played without him, we lost the worst game in NCAA history), I consider the 2nd half a pretty damn good effort.

3. Kansas State is bad, but they are always scrappy on defense. Having your best player and point guard out for the second half is not easy against that kind of defense. I thought Nixon calmed them down eventually.

4. I cannot bear to think about Tyrese not playing again this season. And because I don't want to be miserable, I will not believe it until they announce it. But it SUCKS that he will be out probably for at least a week. I think we could win the next 2 with him, but we probably can't without him.

5. Like I said above, I thought Jacobson was very good tonight. Maybe I'm the only one that did, but I enjoyed that he should have shut some of you up. I also thought Prentice was good tonight. And while most everyone seems to think Lewis should play 35 minutes, he was good tonight too :) Those 2 threes were game changers.

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
So I was at the game in the upper deck and didn’t get a good look at it, but didn’t Conditt have a dunk that went through the hoop but quickly came back out, and he was never credited a basket? Was there a good replay of that on TV, or what was the deal with that??

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So I was at the game in the upper deck and didn’t get a good look at it, but didn’t Conditt have a dunk that went through the hoop but quickly came back out, and he was never credited a basket? Was there a good replay of that on TV, or what was the deal with that??

That's exactly what happened.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
That's exactly what happened.
Wow if that’s what happened I would have completely blown a gasket if I was Prohm. To make it worse, I’m pretty sure that K-State ended up getting an easy transition basket on the ensuing possession. Good job refs.

• Winner
Reactions: dirtyninety

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

They said on TV that the rule is the ball has to go through the net to count. I always thought it was through the cylinder but maybe they made the rule easier for the refs to rule on.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
They said on TV that the rule is the ball has to go through the net to count. I always thought it was through the cylinder but maybe they made the rule easier for the refs to rule on.
I guess if that’s how the rule is stated there’s not much I can complain about, but that seems like a dumb ass rule.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Wow if that’s what happened I would have completely blown a gasket if I was Prohm. To make it worse, I’m pretty sure that K-State ended up getting an easy transition basket on the ensuing possession. Good job refs.

Our guys kind of stood around and it caused a transition 3, I think.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

The ball definitely didn't make it through the net so if that's the rule it was the correct call. I was pissed at first too but after watching the replay the ball popped back up out of the hoop

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I would have guessed it pretty much was out of the net. Oh well.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I guess if that’s how the rule is stated there’s not much I can complain about, but that seems like a dumb ass rule.

I don’t really know if it’s a rule. The tv guys were really confused why it wasn’t being counted and talked about it quite a bit, even later in the game.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Anyone know where in NCAA regulations it specifically says that a basketball must pass through the net to be a field goal? My Google search abilities are lacking such that I cannot find it.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Anyone know where in NCAA regulations it specifically says that a basketball must pass through the net to be a field goal? My Google search abilities are lacking such that I cannot find it.

2019-2020 NCAA Men's Basketball Rules:

RULE 5
Scoring and Timing Regulations
Section 1. Scoring/Try for Goal
Art. 1. A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points
by throwing or tapping the ball into his basket.
Art. 2. A goal is made when:
a. A live ball that is not a throw-in enters the basket from above and remains
in or passes through the basket;

RULE 1
Court and Equipment
Section 14. Baskets—Size, Material
Art. 1. Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches inside
diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord, 12-mesh net
, 15 to 18 inches
in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Dislike
Reactions: CTTB78 and Dingus

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

You are right the ball has to go through the net now....the way I remember it the refs used to rule a basket if the ball went below the rim......

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

All those pick up games I played at the park with no net ended in 0-0 ties then.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Kudos to you and others that went to the game. The crowd really got into it when the game got close and seemed to pick our guys up.

It sounded like Hilton is supposed to sound.