***Official Jimmy Fallon First Tonight Show Thread***

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Jimmy does a great job and he'll succeed. Leno is a dbag. Still wish Conan was hosting The Tonight Show though, but Jimmy is my second favorite by far.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Conan got crapped on by NBC. Such a shame they let an extremely talented comedian slip through the cracks in order to bring a washed out Leno back. Hopefully NBC is smart about it this time with Fallon because I think he might have the slight edge on Conan. Leno just needs to stay retired now.

Leno never retired last time, they forced him out of the tonight show and put him in an earlier slot. That was half the problem in forcing Leno out. This time I think Leno was ready to go...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Jimmy does a great job and he'll succeed. Leno is a dbag. Still wish Conan was hosting The Tonight Show though, but Jimmy is my second favorite by far.

I agree (although I didn't mind Leno). But fact is, Conans ratings were horrible and Lettemans ratings were going up. As much as people hate Leno, his ratings were always good

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I agree (although I didn't mind Leno). But fact is, Conans ratings were horrible and Lettemans ratings were going up. As much as people hate Leno, his ratings were always good

Except for the fact that Conan still had Leno in front of him still sucking off viewers. NBC never really gave Conan a chance. He was host for only 9 months before they booted him.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Except for the fact that Conan still had Leno in front of him still sucking off viewers. NBC never really gave Conan a chance. He was host for only 9 months before they booted him.

Agree, but that was NBC forcing Leno out before he was ready. I felt like this time Leno was ready to go...

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Conan pulled a power play to get the prime slot, but didn't deliver. Some might blame the network, but Conan was the worst fit for mass appeal of all of the Tonight Show hosts. Carson will always be the best, but Fallon will likely end up as the 2nd best host.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Conan pulled a power play to get the prime slot, but didn't deliver.

Exactly. IMO the first month of Conan's show was good, and the last month was pretty good with all the cancellation drama, but in between, it was medicore to bad, and I like Conan.

I also like Fallon, and hope he can pull it off.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Leno was winning the time slot but has been mailing it in for a decade. Conan is a great spontaneous interviewer, but his comedy was a little too oddball to make the transition from LN to TS. Dave is an *******. Jimmy can do this, if he can keep ratings while consistently pulling a younger demographic (what Conan was supposed to do but failed) he'll get plenty of time to smooth out the bumps.

Good show last night. Jimmy didn't do much with his interview time, but that stuff was probably all canned and practiced anyway given the moment.

U2. Holy crap! Where have these guys been? I gave up on them when they went Euro/techno in 1995.

Will Smith is the perfect guest to have on first for that show. Does anybody have broader appeal across demographics?

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Leno was winning the time slot but has been mailing it in for a decade. Conan is a great spontaneous interviewer, but his comedy was a little too oddball to make the transition from LN to TS. Dave is an *******. Jimmy can do this, if he can keep ratings while consistently pulling a younger demographic (what Conan was supposed to do but failed) he'll get plenty of time to smooth out the bumps.

Good show last night. Jimmy didn't do much with his interview time, but that stuff was probably all canned and practiced anyway given the moment.

U2. Holy crap! Where have these guys been? I gave up on them when they went Euro/techno in 1995.

Will Smith is the perfect guest to have on first for that show. Does anybody have broader appeal across demographics?
They've basically been putting out the same album over and over for the past 15 years.

Thought is was a pretty good show overall but there was a lot of extra stuff acknowledging that it's the first show so it'll be interesting to see how it goes (and if they make him change a lot) once he gets settled in and doing regular shows.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I wasn't as impressed as a lot of you, although I gave up on watching late night comedy a long time ago. Watched the first half hour, and part of the Will Smith interview before I got bored and then turned it off.