***Official ISU vs Nebraska-Omaha Game Day Thread***

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Good to see Melvin get a garbage basket. That's his bread and butter.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Our shot selection just makes you shake your head sometimes.

And our transition defense is absolutely terrible. Are our guys taught to just keep backing up until you're under the rim?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
ISU's ball movement is much better tonight. But they've had space. Out sizing uno and out quicking them right now.

ISUBrew

Apr 18, 2006
Agreed, the picture is 100 times better then MC22 production and actually looks to be high def

You and urb1 officially lose the rights to discuss picture quality ever again.

16x9 is the shape an HDTV has. It has 16 pixels of width for every 9 pixels of height.
4x3 is the shape an old SDTV has. It has 4 pixels of width for every 3 pixels of height.

Mediacom is taking the 16x9 Cyclones.TV production and squishing it into a 4x3 frame. The image is completely distorted (notice how everything is tall and skinny?) This is a horrific mistake.

I wondered how they would handle the fact that Cyclones.TV produces everything in 16x9 HD and display it on the 4x3 SD Mediacom MC22 channel. I assumed they would either:

a) Center-cut the picture (that is, discard the information on the "sides" from the wider 16x9 image). Some cable networks do this. The image appears to fill a 4x3 screen, but you're actually missing picture from the sides.

b) Letterbox the 16x9 picture (that is, put "black bars" at the top and bottom of the image in order to fit the full 16x9 image in a 4x3 space). You do not miss any of the picture in this format. The image appears in a smaller part of the 4x3 screen, and on an HDTV that is performing pillarboxing (black bars on the sides), now you have black space on all four sides of the image. ESPN's standard def channel does this.

Those are the two options for properly handling this issue. Mediacom chose a 3rd, incorrect option, which is to horizontally compress the image, distorting everything. No, the picture quality is not superior to the old MC22 productions, because those at least were an undistorted image. If you have distorted the dimensions of an image, I don't care how clear it may be, it's not an accurate representation of real life.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
You and urb1 officially lose the rights to discuss picture quality ever again.

16x9 is the shape an HDTV has. It has 16 pixels of width for every 9 pixels of height.
4x3 is the shape an old SDTV has. It has 4 pixels of width for every 3 pixels of height.

Mediacom is taking the 16x9 Cyclones.TV production and squishing it into a 4x3 frame. The image is completely distorted (notice how everything is tall and skinny?) This is a horrific mistake.

I wondered how they would handle the fact that Cyclones.TV produces everything in 16x9 HD and display it on the 4x3 SD Mediacom MC22 channel. I assumed they would either:

a) Center-cut the picture (that is, discard the information on the "sides" from the wider 16x9 image). Some cable networks do this. The image appears to fill a 4x3 screen, but you're actually missing picture from the sides.

b) Letterbox the 16x9 picture (that is, put "black bars" at the top and bottom of the image in order to fit the full 16x9 image in a 4x3 space). You do not miss any of the picture in this format. The image appears in a smaller part of the 4x3 screen, and on an HDTV that is performing pillarboxing (black bars on the sides), now you have black space on all four sides of the image. ESPN's standard def channel does this.

Those are the two options for properly handling this issue. Mediacom chose a 3rd, incorrect option, which is to horizontally compress the image, distorting everything. No, the picture quality is not superior to the old MC22 productions, because those at least were an undistorted image. If you have distorted the dimensions of an image, I don't care how clear it may be, it's not an accurate representation of real life.

Picture may not be hi def, but it is not chopping like three of the games on cyclone.tv.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'd like to see Fred work on feeding the post, particularly Ejim, Niang, and Gibson. Our success this year is going to depend on having some reliable inside presence.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
People will complain about anything.

"Waaaaa! The games are on Cyclone.TV"

"Waaaaa! The games we couldn't see on tv to begin with are only being picked up by Mediacom"

"Waaaaa! The games are in the correct format on MC22"

#firstworldproblems

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Anyone else think the picture quality looks a lot better for the Cyclones.tv broadcast on MC22 than when Mediacom produces it on MC22? The picture is quality is much better than I thought it would be.