*** Official ISU-UConn Game Thread ***

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I've got no problem with U-Conn continuing to play. It would be more insulting if they just slowed it up and didn't try. This is even worse than the Stanford game last year. For those of you that follow womens basketball, does Stanford have a chance against U-Conn?

Row55

Feb 21, 2009
Case in point about the refs: Poppens in position, gets a rebound. UConn player comes flying in from 10 feet away, decks Poppens who loses the ball, but ISU retains possession. Ref apparently concludes contact did not give UConn an advantage, hence no call. Sorry, but that's a foul, and UConn doesn't need that kind of advantage.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
We ARE slow. I noticed that against GB. We get buy with fancy schemes and outside-shooting. We have very little team speed.

Agree completely. I think it's amazing what Bill does year in and year out but if we ever want to have a realistic chance of winning it all we have to get more athletic.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I've got no problem with U-Conn continuing to play. It would be more insulting if they just slowed it up and didn't try. This is even worse than the Stanford game last year. For those of you that follow womens basketball, does Stanford have a chance against U-Conn?

Yes. They were teh last team to play them to 12 points or less

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
everyyard- Somebody did post that BF beat U-Conn 11 years ago. But I said for quite a few years now, and 11 is definitely quite a few years ago. I don't follow the women very closely until we get into the tournament, then it just seems like we win a couple at home or near home like DM, then meet somebody like Stanford, Georgia, etc, and don't belong on the same floor with them. That's just what I've noticed as a casual fan for quite a few years now.

You are on the money. Been that way forever.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
everyyard- Somebody did post that BF beat U-Conn 11 years ago. But I said for quite a few years now, and 11 is definitely quite a few years ago. I don't follow the women very closely until we get into the tournament, then it just seems like we win a couple at home or near home like DM, then meet somebody like Stanford, Georgia, etc, and don't belong on the same floor with them. That's just what I've noticed as a casual fan for quite a few years now.

Yeah I think our fans tend to forget what an advantage we have had some of these years playing at "home" in the 1st 2 rounds. Quite frankly, if we didn't play Green Bay on our home court I don't think we would have gotten by them.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
Have most people given up on watching this game? The post rate has slowed way down.

Is anyone else amazed at UConn's defense? They seem to just go about their business on offense, but on D, dammmnnnn.

I am afraid of what would happen if UConn pushed for the whole game with their press and aggression.

There is no way to even say that we might win 1 out of 10 if given the opportunity.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City

UConn beat Stanford by 12 earlier this season; the smallest margin of victory by UConn in this 75 game run.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
It's frustrating, but that's the way it is. They can hand check us out to 25 feet to start the game, and that sets the tone for the game. Roy Williams always said he did that at KU, do everything they could early to force the ref's to swallow the whistle. Smart, if you've got the depth. We haven't shot a free throw. Are you telling me, we didn't get fouled on any shots? Ever?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
It's frustrating, but that's the way it is. They can hand check us out to 25 feet to start the game, and that sets the tone for the game. Roy Williams always said he did that at KU, do everything they could early to force the ref's to swallow the whistle. Smart, if you've got the depth. We haven't shot a free throw. Are you telling me, we didn't get fouled on any shots? Ever?

THANK YOU!!! I have read a page of womens hoops talk without complaints of no hand checking calls or traveling!!!

CLASSIC!!!!!!:biglaugh:

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Your just saying that because you play 60 year olds down at the rec center :jimlad:

Actually the older guys get mad if you run by them on a fastbreak. They feel you shouldn't use your speed to your advantage.

That's why it's tough to play against old guys like Clones_Jer

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Actually the older guys get mad if you run by them on a fastbreak. They feel you shouldn't use your speed to your advantage.

That's why it's tough to play against old guys like Clones_Jer

I used to tackle people if they did that.:yes:

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN

Wouldn't hand checking help the less athletic team, like ISU. UCONN has the speed, and no reason to hand check. On top of it, if refs are not calling hand checking, it means you can do it as well.