****Official ISU/BYU Gameday Thread****

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Hope Cy takes it to Cosmo the Cougar. And the hoop. Especially to the hoop.

cougar.jpg

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Who here kind of wishes the UMKC game was sandwiched between the Michigan and BYU game. I am very fearful of a letdown game after a big win. I have seen it waaaayyyyy too many times in all college sports.

Might be nice to have a tweener opponent or larger time gap, but it's good challenge for 2 straight like this, mimics conference sequence.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Two things that worry me a bit is letdown factor and first road test against a team this good with quite a few young guys playing important roles. Michigan kept acting like they were young compared to us but pretty sure their sophomores got a lot more experience than Naz last year and we rely on two freshman too.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
I wouldn't consider a loss a letdown. No biggie.

But with the amount of last-second heartbreakers last year, we're due to steal a couple close ones this year. If we do win, I'd guess it'd be in that fashion. Naz with a buzzer 3 for the win.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Rare visit from a ranked nonconference opponent excites BYU basketball team | BYU Sports | The Salt Lake Tribune

SIAP - good background on why we're playing early (my guess is the SEC challenge game changed our schedule). I really like BYU's coach - great guy, great coach.

Interesting article. If one of their guards leads their team in rebounding, as it says, then it means that their bigs didn't get rebounds and ours did. There may be lots of scoring, but I think this game will come down to defending guards and grabbing long rebounds. And I really like us in both of these areas.

Naz Long is a very scrappy, almost nasty, defender, even in the Cap City League. Hoiberg said that Thomas has added much to his defense. And Kane's strength and court-sense will make him a force on defense.

Kane also is great at positioning for long rebounds. And Ejim's complaint from the Michigan game was that Hogue stole a rebound from him. I think a guard-oriented team that will be taking long shots only plays into the volume of rebounds for Ejim and Hogue.

So, I'm talking myself into expecting a blowout! Not really, but I could see these factors being the difference in the last few minutes as we pull away.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Too bad the game is on at 9:30pm in the Eastern time zone (on a school/work night). For instance, it would be nice for it to be earlier for folks in Michigan where we are continuing to build a nice pipeline of players.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Probably the most important number is 4549. As in, Provo UT altitude is 4549ft.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Interested to see how this team responds. I have a feeling BYU is going to punch us right in the mouth, will see if ISU punches back or folds.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Interested to see how this team responds. I have a feeling BYU is going to punch us right in the mouth, will see if ISU punches back or folds.

Well if they do punch us in the mouth I at least know that they'll apologize and make us pancakes or something.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We know that BYU can score, but can their guards play defense and can their bigs get rebounds?

I'm suspecting not, or they would be ranked and not be giving up so many points, such as 103 to Stanford, 72 to Weber State, 76 to Mount Saint Mary, and even 60 to Colorado Mesa (whoever that is . . . and I know these points may have come during garbage time).

So, our concerns are

1. Will their guards shoot the lights out from the field?
2. Will they back off our guards on defense by getting us in foul trouble and making free throws (which opens it up for more hot shooting by their guards)?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Could this be a game in which the new hand-checking rules really work against us? I like the chances for our guards to be disruptive on defense, but not if the refs call it really tight.