*** Official IOWA STATE vs Villanova Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
site.png vs Villanova-Wildcats-logo-500x281 (1).png

IOWA STATE (3-0, 0-0 BIG 12)
Villanova (2-2, 0-0 Big East)
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 24TH 2:30 P.M. CST
Moda Center / Portland, Ore.

TV: ESPN2
Talent: Kevin Brown, pxp Robbie Hummel, analyst

Radio: Cyclone Radio Network (Varsity Network)
CRN Talent: Chris Williams, pxp Derrin Hansen, analyst

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
71z0li.jpg

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Really looking forward to this game

While these games don't mean much for the season on the whole, as I've watched more teams I can't tell how ISU will match up athletically, speed, etc or how their defense will do.

'Nova seems down a bit but it will still be a good test and maybe give us an idea of where ISU really is.

Even as ugly as ISU makes games I look forward because I know they'll fly around.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Come on. They are just your in laws!!! Grab the effing remote when you get there.

Lions game at 11:30 & Cowboys at 3:30. Hope the games a blowout by 2:30 and switch over to the Cyclones. Once you go Cyclones- never go back!! Dog ate the remote, one of the in-laws kids ran off with it, etc. etc.

If that doesn't work. Say you need to check the oil & tire air levels on your car to be safe for the ride home and BOLT for the nearest sports bar. Let's just be honest, the in-laws won't miss you for two hours. At that point, it might be optional whether you head back for dinner or go straight home.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Come on. They are just your in laws!!! Grab the effing remote when you get there.

Lions game at 11:30 & Cowboys at 3:30. Hope the games a blowout by 2:30 and switch over to the Cyclones. Once you go Cyclones- never go back!! Dog ate the remote, one of the in-laws kids ran off with it, etc. etc.

If that doesn't work. Say you need to check the oil & tire air levels on your car to be safe for the ride home and BOLT for the nearest sports bar. Let's just be honest, the in-laws won't miss you for two hours. At that point, it might be optional whether you head back for dinner or go straight home.

It's absolutely a multi-screen sports day. World Cup, Lions, Cowboys, Vikings, ISU basketball, Egg Bowl, NBA (if that's your thing). Trick will be when to sneak in the Thanksgiving afternoon nap.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
While these games don't mean much for the season on the whole, as I've watched more teams I can't tell how ISU will match up athletically, speed, etc or how their defense will do.

'Nova seems down a bit but it will still be a good test and maybe give us an idea of where ISU really is.

Even as ugly as ISU makes games I look forward because I know they'll fly around.
Yep. You described how I felt about the Xavier game last year.

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
I hope Gabe has recovered fully from his hip pointer. Team needs his experience for something like his usual 30 minutes in these 3 games against high level programs in 4 days. Watson and Ward filled in nicely against Milwaukee, but to my eye D and ball security dropped some with their increased time in the rotation due to Kalscheur’s absence. (I predict both will be fine or better with more experience.) Milwaukee did us a big favor by pressing throughout the game. Gave these Cyclones a chance to hone their press-breaking skills, and they did great. But we’re still disturbingly thin at point even with true freshman Tamin Lipsey playing like a seasoned floor manager while working to find ways to score. Here too, 3 games against top programs in 4 days will test his youthful endurance and challenge Otz and the team to function for more minutes without their only true point guard.

I’m loving this iteration of Cyclone basketball. In this young season, with so many additions to the roster and the late pre-season loss of Jeremiah Williams, our projected starting point guard, they’re still finding out how to play together on the offensive end. But they’re building it right: usually good ball movement, usually good offensive rebounding, making free throws. Jaren Holmes is pushing to be this year’s Isiah Brockington. Osunniyi, Kunc, Jones and Ward have skills at both ends and toughness. Grill is showing 6th year toughness and leadership all over the floor. Otz is using a 9-man rotation effectively!

Two out of three from this tournament would suggest, barring more injury attrition, a top half finish in the Big 12 and Dancing.

Edit: Kunc has really developed into a key starter. I also love how Jones has improved from last year.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: HFCS