*** Official IOWA STATE Vs Texas Gameday Thread ***

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Wigginton not a point guard. Never gonna be. Great combo guard.
How can you possibly say that. He is a freshman. How many freshman come in and play the point well in their first year? Dang few. Plus, he was playing the point late in the season without a lot of options.

Freshman year is not always a great predictor of a players college career. Even in recent times, people on this board wrote off Naz Long, Matt Thomas, Melvin Ejim - I could go on. Even Monte didn't start on the point until February of his freshman year.

We shall see what the future holds for LW but I see no way to predict where he will play over the next 3 years.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I wouldn’t say it that way, but agree the dude needs to shut up and go away.

When someone is intentionally doing their best to act and behave like a spectacular ******* and is essentially begging to be ridiculed by doing so I have absolutely no problem giving them what they want.

• Dislike
Reactions: isuno1fan

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How can you possibly say that. He is a freshman. How many freshman come in and play the point well in their first year? Dang few. Plus, he was playing the point late in the season without a lot of options.

Freshman year is not always a great predictor of a players college career. Even in recent times, people on this board wrote off Naz Long, Matt Thomas, Melvin Ejim - I could go on. Even Monte didn't start on the point until February of his freshman year.

We shall see what the future holds for LW but I see no way to predict where he will play over the next 3 years.
We received glimpses of how great he'll be next season. Could potentially put up Trey Young-type numbers. That said, really not sure how anyone can predict if he'll ever become a great PG or not. I'll just be content with wherever/however we use him and be grateful for each day he's still a Cyclone (b/c it won't be 3 more years). There were times tonight where he looked truly unstoppable and was definitely the best player on the court, with Bamba being out.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Tough ending in a tough loss to a tough season.

But, there were some really nice and very bright spots here and there that I hope the guys can look back on with a smile; winning the tournament in the non-conference schedule, beating Iowa and UNI (even if neither team was very good), and thoroughly beating up likely Top 4 seeds in Texas Tech and West Virginia, as well as wins against likely tournament teams like Baylor and Oklahoma.

It's absurd to write, but I seriously think we are the best last-place team in the whole country. Better than the last place teams in the Big Ten, certainly better than Pitt in the ACC, better than the dogs in the Pac 12, better than Ole Miss in the SEC, and better than Depaul, St. John's and G'Town in the Big East.

And yes, that is worth a can of beans in the end, but I really do hope these guys can look back with just a bit of pride at those good moments in a tough season like this. A big thanks to Donovan for the last two seasons, as well as to Hans and Jeff for choosing to be Cyclones.

Onwards and upwards!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Welp
Good to see the team had some fight in them. I think a win in this game would have gone a long ways to soothing pain from a tough season. Let's hope CSP and crew will stew on this in the off season and come back with a vengeance.

Mods - Please place a 'Countdown to Spring Game' Clock in the footer.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Tough ending in a tough loss to a tough season.

But, there were some really nice and very bright spots here and there that I hope the guys can look back on with a smile; winning the tournament in the non-conference schedule, beating Iowa and UNI (even if neither team was very good), and thoroughly beating up likely Top 4 seeds in Texas Tech and West Virginia, as well as wins against likely tournament teams like Baylor and Oklahoma.

It's absurd to write, but I seriously think we are the best last-place team in the whole country. Better than the last place teams in the Big Ten, certainly better than Pitt in the ACC, better than the dogs in the Pac 12, better than Ole Miss in the SEC, and better than Depaul, St. John's and G'Town in the Big East.

And yes, that is worth a can of beans in the end, but I really do hope these guys can look back with just a bit of pride at those good moments in a tough season like this. A big thanks to Donovan for the last two seasons, as well as to Hans and Jeff for choosing to be Cyclones.

Onwards and upwards!
Best last place team??? Awesome!

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not sure any of us know, and probably not easy for the coaches to know for sure either, as to whether LW should be the point guard next year. I think we can all agree we like the ball in his hands as far as a player creating his own shot, getting in the lane and getting fouled, etc. Yet we know the turnovers and decision making needs to improve a lot. What's the real answer?

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Welp
Good to see the team had some fight in them. I think a win in this game would have gone a long ways to soothing pain from a tough season. Let's hope CSP and crew will stew on this in the off season and come back with a vengeance.

Mods - Please place a 'Countdown to Spring Game' Clock in the footer.
I don't think you need to tell SP that he should stew on this in the off-season!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah we are not the lock that everyone thinks next year. We are 10th in the league (by 4 games), and some people are talking about challenging for the conference.

I would be happy with the NIT next year.

Well then you shouldn't complain if we do get to the NIT next year. Somehow I imagine you'll ***** if we are a 7 seed in the NCAA.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm not sure any of us know, and probably not easy for the coaches to know for sure either, as to whether LW should be the point guard next year. I think we can all agree we like the ball in his hands as far as a player creating his own shot, getting in the lane and getting fouled, etc. Yet we know the turnovers and decision making needs to improve a lot. What's the real answer?

Experience, and more talent and experience around him. Hard for any guy, let alone a freshman, to be the obvious focus of the defense (DJ held a lot of defensive focus, but wasn't able to consistently shake the better one on one defenders). Everyone knowing and executing their roles in set plays would be huge as well. Too often a possession devolved into a straight up, beat your man one on one to get a shot up situation. Next year I expect that we'll be able to find and exploit whatever mismatch is on the floor, or whatever the defense is giving us, whether that's with our best guy, or our 5th best guy at any given time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron