*** Official IOWA STATE VS TCU Game(Day) Thread ***

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Nice win. Gotta love the rushing yards! Defense is elite. Only "criticism" is a championship caliber team needs to take control of a game when the chance is offered. There's a high ceiling for this team if they can put everything together.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Nice win. Gotta love the rushing yards! Defense is elite. Only "criticism" is a championship caliber team needs to take control of a game when the chance is offered. There's a high ceiling for this team if they can put everything together.

I'm not sure I would describe the defense as elite after the touchdowns we gave up.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
-2.5 to -3.5 depending where and when was the spread

Gary Patterson must have had his money on ISU at -2.5, huh?

That's why he chose not to kick the PAT at the end.

Still don't know how bad our DB's have to be to give up that TD at the end. Double covered and they both let him catch it. They never turn their heads to find the ball.... EVER.... and just allow WRs to catch balls all day.... that's how our DBs have always seemed to play.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and khardbored

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Still don't know how bad our DB's have to be to give up that TD at the end. Double covered and they both let him catch it. They never turn their heads to find the ball.... EVER.... and just allow WRs to catch balls all day.... that's how our DBs have always seemed to play.
Because the play literally didn’t matter?

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I'm not sure I would describe the defense as elite after the touchdowns we gave up.

Perhaps elite by ISU historical standards. When you rush 3 all day and get six sacks, you've got talent up front. No doubt some stuff on the back end needs to be cleaned up. Very interested to see what this group can do against an Oklahoma team that must be feeling a little doubt right now.

Reactions: bozclone

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
BP 18/22, 211, 1 TD, 0 INT 9.6 yards per attempt.
Terrible??????? What do you expect?

With number of snaps Brock has taken as a starter I would have hoped to see more control. Has to know when to take the sack, when to throw it out of bounds. and read where the double teams are. Seems to be really pressing in year three.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Pretty sure redshirt freshman Darrell Simmons Jr played every snap at guard. And the last TD run was right behind him. Solid effort by a freshman.

I saw him out there, but had not heard anything about him from the coaches. Did Downing not play? I watched the game at a bar, and didn't see him out there, but OL are not the focus most of the time.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Because the game is over when the clock runs out. I don't think they are even allowed to kick it.

• Disagree
Reactions: simply1

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
2 excellent games by the DL. RBs improved. Recievers maybe had no drops today. Not many penalties. Nice keeper run by Purdy, but his boneheaded lateral was aweful. Awesome interception by Rose (2nd game he won for us). ST and DB below average. QB and OL average. I still don't understand why always rush 4 at the punter and never try to block it. Nut sure if we returned any punts or gained much on KR. Way better outcome today than expected.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I saw him out there, but had not heard anything about him from the coaches. Did Downing not play? I watched the game at a bar, and didn't see him out there, but OL are not the focus most of the time.

Downing didn’t play. Hudson dressed but I didn’t see him play. Simmons started and from what I saw he played the entire game.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Downing didn’t play. Hudson dressed but I didn’t see him play. Simmons started and from what I saw he played the entire game.

Must have played fairly well, as there was only a handful of times I saw the OL get destroyed at the LOS today, and TCU was really pressing the LOS a lot of the game. In the end the game up 3 huge running plays, so ISU definitely made them pay.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The announcers were talking about a boneheaded play Russell Wilson made a few years ago when talking about Purdy’s fumble. Anyone know what play that was? I’m not an nfl guy, so I doubt I’d know it.