Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
AutoZone Liberty Bowl: Iowa State vs. Memphis
- Bass Pro Shops shopping trip
- Bulova Caravelle watch
- Nike athletic shoes, sport sandals and backpack
- football

I think the Bass Pro Shop trip is worth $500

I'm sure Zeb Noland will love with the Bass Pro Shops shopping trip.

Reactions: Blandboy

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
What? I would of had on sweat pants, tee shirt, and tennis shoes. They don't pay him to dress, but win games.

Based on your apparel description, I believe I found a picture of you:
golf-tours-news-blogs-local-knowledge-assets_c-2013-02-bill-belichick-wearing-hoodie-470-thumb-470x338-89542.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 2020cy

Mapdude

Dec 3, 2017
I don't know if he's sticking around for the Bowl Game or not but sounds like Memphis is losing their OC to Texas A&M:

Norvell calls the plays. Dickey was essentially the RB coach and a major recruiter. Also a favorite with the players.

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
Everything I read about this game basically says Iowa State cant hold Memphis's jock strap.

Memphis has played the worst 6 team defenses, in all of FBS this year, and even though that's mentioned, they still think that ISU cant contain them. The things I'm reading are insane. They are basically saying Memphis has a better offense than the entire big 12. I know I'm biased, but man I hope DM Train shows his trucking skills he showed Jose Jewell. Memphis wont be a walk in the park, but to suggest they have a significantly better talent pool than all the big 12 is ridiculous.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Everything I read about this game basically says Iowa State cant hold Memphis's jock strap.

Memphis has played the worst 6 team defenses, in all of FBS this year, and even though that's mentioned, they still think that ISU cant contain them. The things I'm reading are insane. They are basically saying Memphis has a better offense than the entire big 12. I know I'm biased, but man I hope DM Train shows his trucking skills he showed Jose Jewell. Memphis wont be a walk in the park, but to suggest they have a significantly better talent pool than all the big 12 is ridiculous.
I completely agree with this but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Anyone have a list/ranking of the defenses they've faced?
I'm too old and lazy to find it myself.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Still 2 weeks out so obviously lot can change with this but as of now here is the Gameday forecast for Memphis:

SAT
DEC 30

45° /28°
Considerable cloudiness

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/memphis-tn/38103/daily-weather-forecast/351089?day=15

the one I read said possible showers/snow....so I hope yours is the correct one. Why does Memphis even get a bowl game? It could actually be 45 in Iowa that day. lol Of course, wasn't it in the 40's for a Florida bowl game a few years ago?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Every year when bowl matchups come out, it always seems as if an effort was made to make things tough for the Big 12. Maybe it's just imagined on my part, but it just seems we are always the underdogs in most of our conference bowl games. So I thought this year I would actually check it out. The SEC is the underdog in 4 of their 9 bowls. The B1G is the underdog in 2 of their 8 bowls. Big 12 is the underdog in 5 out of 8 bowls. That's all I checked.

Maybe it is the bowls that we are aligned with that hurt us? It is probably just coincidence, there surely is no great conspiracy against the Big 12. But man it just seems we get these matchups every year, and of course including the only team that has to play on its opponent's home field.I have an unusually strong sense of fairness, so I'm sure this bothers me more than probably anyone else. Just have to play through it I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe it is the bowls that we are aligned with that hurt us? It is probably just coincidence, there surely is no great conspiracy against the Big 12. But man it just seems we get these matchups every year, and of course including the only team that has to play on its opponent's home field.I have an unusually strong sense of fairness, so I'm sure this bothers me more than probably anyone else. Just have to play through it I guess.
I would think that the number of P5 teams that have played two or more bowl games in their opponent's stadium is incredibly small. Considering that Iowa State will have only played in 13 bowl games by the end of the year, that is a pretty significant percentage of their bowls.\

EDIT: I stand corrected, it has happened more than I thought.

This link give information on home teams at bowls from 1924 (at least) to 2011.
http://www.footballgeography.com/college-football-home-field-advantage-in-bowl-games/

It appears that home teams in bowl games when playing current P5 teams (+Notre Dame) have a 25-15-2 record.

During that time period (-2012) here are the current P5 teams that have been the visitor at more than one of these bowl games:

#_Team
5 Nebraska
2 NC State
2 Missouri
2 FSU
2 Penn St.
2 OU
2 Louisville
2 Oregon St.
2 Iowa
2 Wisconsin

Last edited:

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Every year when bowl matchups come out, it always seems as if an effort was made to make things tough for the Big 12. Maybe it's just imagined on my part, but it just seems we are always the underdogs in most of our conference bowl games. So I thought this year I would actually check it out. The SEC is the underdog in 4 of their 9 bowls. The B1G is the underdog in 2 of their 8 bowls. Big 12 is the underdog in 5 out of 8 bowls.

So now I see UCLA is favored over K State, so that makes 6 out of 8 Big 12 teams as underdogs now. Can this just be coincidence? SMH.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Anyone have a list/ranking of the defenses they've faced?
I'm too old and lazy to find it myself.

Opponents Total Defense Rank:

E Carolina - 129
Tulsa - 127
Uconn - 126
UCLA - 122
SMU - 121
Tulane - 99
UCF - 93
Houston - 83
Navy - 60

Navy was the best defense they played and Memphis scored 30 points (averaged 48).

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Opponents Total Defense Rank:

E Carolina - 129
Tulsa - 127
Uconn - 126
UCLA - 122
SMU - 121
Tulane - 99
UCF - 93
Houston - 83
Navy - 60

Navy was the best defense they played and Memphis scored 30 points (averaged 48).

images (41).jpg
Thanks for doing the legwork.
Hmm, that puts their vaunted offense in a new light.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Memphis has 10 wins with 4 wins against teams with .500 or better in the regular season. Win & Loss records, noted below, do account for bowl games.

Away win against Houston (42-38): Houston finished 7-5. Lost in their bowl game.
Houston's three best wins are at USF (10-2), at Arizona (7-5), at Temple (7-6)

Home win against SMU (66-45): SMU finished 7-6. Lost their bowl game.
All three of SMU's best wins came at home versus North Texas (9-5), Arkansas State (7-5), Tulane (5-7).

Home win against Navy (30-27): Navy finished 7-6. Won their bowl game.
Navy's three best wins are at FAU (11-3), home against SMU (7-6), bowl game against Virginia (6-7)

Home win against UCLA (48-45):
UCLA finished 6-7. Lost their bowl game.
All three of UCLA's best wins came at home versus ASU (7-5), Oregon (7-6), Texas A&M (7-5).

Excluding SMU, Memphis never blew out their competition, if the competition was decent. The games were decided by a touchdown or less. If the game gets into a shootout ISU should (theoretically) be able keep it close, and have a chance to win it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Spanky