*** Official IOWA STATE Vs Baylor Gameday Thread ***

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Baylor will lose Omot, Acuil, Lacomte, and Maston. They are headed for the Big 12 cellar real soon (If they don't finish there this year).

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU and Doc

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Not an unexpected result. Not what we'd all like, but they played hard. We'll win a few more this year and lose a few more. Still think about 6 wins in conference and 15 wins overall sounds about right.

Hopefully they can pull off a shocker at TTU.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Lard isn't the only player to be on the receiving end of bad calls. He needs to learn to play through it. It seems the team goes the way Lard does. I don't want the team's future success depend on if Lard gets "breaks" from the refs.

Typical foul trouble sure. Tonight’s instant double bad call is nothing to worry about at all because it happens maybe once every 100 games and zero players in the nation would be completely unphased by that.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
We've had more success since Prohm has started substituting more, and giving more players minutes. The last 2 games is the most we've seen of Lewis and Long, and it's been a good thing.

We went cold, and our inside presence was on the bench.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Typical foul trouble sure. Tonight’s instant double bad call is nothing to worry about at all because it happens maybe once every 100 games and zero players in the nation would be completely unphased by that.
I'm not banging on Lard. But I and I'm sure the coaches would too, for him to realize in the moment what is happening and to take control of his emotions and to channel it so that he overcomes the adversity. What Lard needs to do is like a microcosm of what the team needs to do.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Jakolby still shooting well from deep on the year (little opportunity in conference thus far) and MARK MY WORDS (mark them!), when Lewis gets it going, watch out.

Good thing is that if Lewis gets more time and gets going, it's one more thing to look forward so long as everyone sticks around, etc.

Bad is that it's such a sign of a young/bad team that literally every player is taking most of the season to figure out the game and their roles at the same time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not banging on Lard. But I and I'm sure the coaches would too, for him to realize in the moment what is happening and to take control of his emotions and to channel it so that he overcomes the adversity. What Lard needs to do is like a microcosm of what the team needs to do.

Would be pretty unique to be able to tell a 19/20 year old to just channel his emotions and then have him be able to do it*, and then have a whole group of 18-21 year olds to all do the same thing.

*I swear to god if someone comes out with a freshman Michael Jordan NC game shot reference for comparison...

• Funny
Reactions: Doc

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree for the most part, though I think teams that do all the little things well can make that matter less.

ISU's overall rhythm was better Wednesday night which led to many players getting 'their' shots which led to made shots. Wiggs got shots tonight but also kept having to alter vs. their footer, and I don't recall anyone else getting comfortable in their shot.

Being more fundamentally sound in rebounding may have gone a long ways tonight to get out and run a bit more.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
ISU's overall rhythm was better Wednesday night which led to many players getting 'their' shots which led to made shots. Wiggs got shots tonight but also kept having to alter vs. their footer, and I don't recall anyone else getting comfortable in their shot.

Being more fundamentally sound in rebounding may have gone a long ways tonight to get out and run a bit more.
Comparing Wednesday’s game to this one is silly. Iowa state ran in transition pretty much the entire night vs wvu. Tonight they were forced to play offense which has been god awful 90% of the games this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned and Cyclad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Comparing Wednesday’s game to this one is silly. Iowa state ran in transition pretty much the entire night vs wvu. Tonight they were forced to play offense which has been god awful 90% of the games this year.

...which is why getting out in transition would have been helpful.

Just as I predicted. Lose the game, team bashers unite.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
...which is why getting out in transition would have been helpful.

Just as I predicted. Lose the game, team bashers unite.
The team fought like hell for rebounds all night. I haven’t called out the team it was a good defensive effort most of the game and they got a ton of good looks that just didn’t fall. But people who thought out running the mountaineers gimmicky defense=playing real offense had themselves fooled.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The team fought like hell for rebounds all night. I haven’t called out the team it was a good defensive effort most of the game and they got a ton of good looks that just didn’t fall. But people who thought out running the mountaineers gimmicky defense=playing real offense had themselves fooled.

Who thought it was more than getting out in good transition Wednesday.

The team's strength all year has been transition. They couldn't find it tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Good thing is that if Lewis gets more time and gets going, it's one more thing to look forward so long as everyone sticks around, etc.

Bad is that it's such a sign of a young/bad team that literally every player is taking most of the season to figure out the game and their roles at the same time.

Yeah, usually you have at least two or three players who are doing that. This year, it's pretty much everyone that is learning either how to play at this level, or how to be a starter at his level. That makes for some struggles.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Who thought it was more than getting out in good transition Wednesday.

The team's strength all year has been transition. They couldn't find it tonight.
Have to rebound to run, plus Baylordid a good job getting back.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This biggest positive I'm taking from last night's game is Lewis. Not only was he aggressive and productive, he came face to face with the fact he needs to get stronger to compete at this level.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I was happy with the effort. Just couldn' get shots to fall to at least keep it close. Don't get me started on the technical. A ref has to realize the situation that he was trying to call a timeout and let it slide. The 4th foul on Lard was a ringup ******** call nothing more nothing less. But above all these kids keep competing and I like that.