*** Official IOWA STATE vs #20 UCONN Game(Day) Thread ***

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't think the critiques are giving UCONN enough credit. The first 10 mins of the game were incredibly high-paced, and aggressive from both parties. With ISU right there it was neck and neck.

The fouls limited our rotations and UCONN had more horses to run at our pass a full :40 and offensive firepower to outman us on the other end.

That said, clean up the defensive glass a bit and that game is ours for the taking. That's even without getting additional production from Gabe/Grill etc.
I felt we should have built about an 8 point lead early in the game. We got up 4-5 but could have easily expanded it. Sloppy play and turnovers prevented us from taking the lead. As others have mentioned the missed lob on the fast break(should not have attempted that) was a back breaker, but that actually happened on another fast break just a little later. We convert the first one and cut it 3, that momentum would have energized us. But the energy left when they nailed that 3.

• Agree
Reactions: davegilbertson

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It felt like our entire team was a step slow last night. Could have been due to the 3rd game in 3 days. Our guys aren't the most athletic teams out there so they do have to put more effort in to be aggressive on defense, so that may be tough when your legs are tired.

My biggest issue was the constant reaching in on defense. They were in position almost the entire time, but they pick up fouls because they're trying to knock the ball out when it's just not there.
A lot of the poor performance does seem to sync with tired legs. Yes (as I'll be reminded) UConn played the same schedule, but we're a team that flat out has to rely on intensity for 40 minutes every game to make up for other shortcomings.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
A lot of the poor performance does seem to sync with tired legs. Yes (as I'll be reminded) UConn played the same schedule, but we're a team that flat out has to rely on intensity for 40 minutes every game to make up for other shortcomings.
plus we played an overtime session. And yes, our style of play is a huge factor as well.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Will Tre King be available for the Baylor game, or does he have to wait until 1/1/23? Seems like in the past, I've seen guys become eligible as soon as the 1st semester ends.
Tre King will be available the day after the 1st semester is over, so for the Dec 18 game. He'll get 2 non-con before Baylor.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I would like to see Jaz score more in a game like this, need just a bit more from him sometimes.
He is a great asset for the team but I was hoping his scoring would take a step forward this year but not sure it really has. He seems to struggle and/or just not really look to shoot against really big and athletic teams.

Reactions: simply1

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
king-kong-godzilla.gif

The Showa-era Godzilla films are some high-quality entertainment.

They don't make them like that anymore.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Being able to get hot once in a blue moon doesn't mean you can shoot. In fact it means you really can't. Gabe seemed to settle in on long 2s last year, but that's the worst shot on the court, efficiency wise. Unfortunately, if you lose it beyond there , jacking up 3s anyway is a bad plan, as we've seen plenty.
Still a lot to be learned about all these guys and the combos that work. I think the coaches will have them improving and new guys getting in so guys like Gabe don't have to hope to hit 3s.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Being able to get hot once in a blue moon doesn't mean you can shoot. In fact it means you really can't. Gabe seemed to settle in on long 2s last year, but that's the worst shot on the court, efficiency wise. Unfortunately, if you lose it beyond there , jacking up 3s anyway is a bad plan, as we've seen plenty.
Still a lot to be learned about all these guys and the combos that work. I think the coaches will have them improving and new guys getting in so guys like Gabe don't have to hope to hit 3s.

I feel like that has changed since the Hoiball days. Now everyone plays a variation of pack line to strangle the paint so the “layups and 3’s” thing doesn’t work like it used to. Mid-range prowess is back big time now.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I feel like that has changed since the Hoiball days. Now everyone plays a variation of pack line to strangle the paint so the “layups and 3’s” thing doesn’t work like it used to. Mid-range prowess is back big time now.
I haven't seen enough to argue against you, but it's still the least efficient shot. I suppose if you can knock down enough, that changes, but as much as that's Gabe's best shot, it still likely isn't really good.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Knowledgeable & respectful message board:

ISU punched back several times and UConn avoided a big run and was able to turn the momentum back each time. That has been a consistent theme this year. It was the rock fight we expected. Sanogo struggled. Hawkins was in foul trouble. And this team still won by 18. Great teams need to be able to win games like this. The complete domination of the glass helped.
  1. ISU coach is aggressive. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen someone go into halftime with three players with three fouls and another two with two fouls.
  2. Clingan is huge and pretty polished. They just had no answer.
  3. They exposed Joey C on defense more than he has even the last couple games. He really needs a rim protector behind him. Still an incredibly impressive offensive player.

ISU might have the best defense in the country. They were impressive
Maybe most pressure. Gotta control the defensive boards to have the best defense

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Eli isn't quite ready yet apparently, and Tre is still sitting out until midseason due to transfer rules.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I figured Tre King to be eligible for Dec. 18 game with Western Michigan (after end of semester?).

If correct, he will then have two non-conf. games he can play in, to tune up for the conference season.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Depending on what we do in the portal in the offseason, and with the class we're bringing in, hopefully next year we'll be what UConn is this year.

Reactions: HoustonClone