*** Official IOWA STATE vs #20 UCONN Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As others have said, UNC is way over ranked honestly. Should have never been a #1 team based on their schedule and wins. Portland almost beat them.

Portland almost beat Michigan State. Honestly Portland did an awesome job in this tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I also saw on the box score Jaz only shot it once. Maybe it's how they schemed him, but we need him to be more aggressive on offense.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and Cjreimer

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Going to assume Jackson kid is a pro next year. He was lights out on defense. His goaltend was a block and he was just incredible on ball. Best defender we see this year imo.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
UConn matched our intensity but has more over all talent. Hopefully we don’t matchup with them in the tournament. Respect for them, they’re really good and I think we are pretty dang good too

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
So has Timme for the past couple of years. But that doesn't make him pro material. Garza was in the running for NPOY (did he win it?). He wasn't pro material either.
nah i agree with you- just stating a fact

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Uconn didn't even seem crazy tall outside of that one guy
They were pretty big and lengthy, to be honest. Without knowing the heights of their players out there, I thought it looked as if we were playing Texas Tech. I double checked earlier this morning, and their starting 5 average height is just over 6'6'', never mind the behemoth that came off the bench and probably had one of the greatest games you will ever see from a 7'2'' Freshman. That guard that came off the bench and played lockdown defense on Holmes was 6'6'' also. They were big and they were flying around on the defensive end, and crashed the boards super hard

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
If you are a 2nd round pick or go to D league you can make more money with NIL. The post guy at Kentucky makes several million from NIL
Thanks to all the people whop explained why the +7'ers didn't go to the league. What I should have said is, "young men, you have 'potential', please leave your respective teams and screw up their chances of doing anything positive for a few years for the long term chance of making it big in the pros through the G league, etc."

But, then, you all brought reason to the table and the NIL thing has changed the landscape a bit for some schools. Thanks a lot CF!

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not sure if anybody mentioned this, but ISU was in on Alex Karaban, who started for them and had 10 points on 2/6 from 3. I imagine was responsible for some of the offensive boards as well. I want to say we were in his final 5 if not 3. Looks like quality player.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Not sure if anybody mentioned this, but ISU was in on Alex Karaban, who started for them and had 10 points on 2/6 from 3. I imagine was responsible for some of the offensive boards as well. I want to say we were in his final 5 if not 3. Looks like quality player.
Yup.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
After it soaked in overnight, trying to keep perspective. As others mentioned, I went into the season hoping for 2-1 in PKI, wondering if I was being too optimistic. ISU did it. Of course getting to the championship, you hope to finish the job and win it. But we can absorb that loss if you look at it as full-season picture, and quality of the W's will help.

Reactions: CyNews

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
After it soaked in overnight, trying to keep perspective. As others mentioned, I went into the season hoping for 2-1 in PKI, wondering if I was being too optimistic. ISU did it. Of course getting to the championship, you hope to finish the job and win it. But we can absorb that loss if you look at it as full-season picture, and quality of the W's will help.
Yeah, this is exactly. I projected them 1-2 for the PKI, so they have already surpassed my expectations to this point in the season. Would like to see them at least split St Johns/Iowa now.

Reactions: cyclones500

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'll be suprised if Uconn doesn't end up a 2 seed at worst come March. I'll have them vs Creighton highlighted to watch. They have ISU's tenacity on defense and unity and unselfishness on offense, but add in way more shooting talent and a Californian Redwood at center.

Also just more length and speed.

They made ISU have to follow and reach on defense while they didn't need to and were able to cover and harass more comfortably.

Reactions: jctisu

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
At the end of the day it's all about making the tournament, and they likely got 2 quad 1 wins on a neutral court, assuming Villanova can get healthy and right the ship. That's huge for the resume. The loss to UCONN is a missed opportunity, but nothing more. Certainly doesn't hurt at all. Right now this looks like a team that is solidly in the tournament.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
UConn just had too many weapons, too good of defense, too good of passers. We looked like we were a bit tired (thus a lot of fouls), and just weren't sharp on the offensive end. Give a good deal of credit to UConn for that.

Overall, fantastic tournament. This team is better than last year. Freshman Lipsey > freshman Hunter. This year is still going to be a massive grind on the schedule, but no one is going to look forward to playing us.
King will have fresh legs and less cumulative wear and tear for the season than the other guys so I hope that helps. Plus, if he has some offensive talent, the ability to be consistent, we need that because we have no idea from night to night if we can rely on the guys we have. One night any one of them can go off (mainly Grill, Holmes or Kalsheur) or they could be cold.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I felt bad for his partner having to constantly react to his unclever and out of nowhere comments. It felt like Walton had to consistently be brought back on track and filled in on basic details he should already know.

Really not sure why he’s one of their featured commentators.
Honestly he sounds like his mind is going or gone. It was like listening to someone in a manic episode. He also can be mean when he's corrected, reminds me of alzheimers.