*** Official IOWA STATE vs #20 UCONN Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Now posters are arguing over what days are considered part of the weekend. Time to go to bed.
Well, I stand corrected. At least one definition is close of business until Sunday evening. So, the men beating UNC AND the women beating Michigan St. happened on the weekend. So, I only had a partially ****** weekend. Thanks to those that helped me realign my perspective. I will sleep better tonight with that knowledge.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
UConn has been doing that to everyone they’ve played. They are a legit top 10 team for sure.
I didn't think UNC was #1, I'm not sure UConn is below a top #15 or possibly top #10. They played well and have a lot of components to go against different teams. AND they play pretty well as a team.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Tough match for ISU, they defend really hard and just have really nice pieces.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
For perspective, here are the top-ten teams on Torvik after removing preseason effects --

1669614159786.png

Sam Houston State is obviously a bit of an oddity, but I don't think you can argue with the P6 teams on the list given who they have played/beaten and how they have played when they did it.

UConn was already #4 and should probably rise in the rankings after beating a respectable Iowa State team (#29 in the same rankings) soundly on a neutral court. We lost to a team that could end up as a #1 or #2 seed and should challenge Creighton for the Big East title. Not a lot of shame in that right now.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
The nice thing is this isn't a very repeatable game plan... Not many people have a 7'3'' of that can tip all balls back out

• Winner
Reactions: Jkclone15

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Are you serious?
Well, I was talking about Saturday and Sunday. BUT, I have corrected myself as Friday evening technically counts as weekend by definition, so I think those two games help soften the blow, but I stand by my Saturday and Sunday sucking pretty good.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
For perspective, here are the top-ten teams on Torvik after removing preseason effects --

View attachment 106045

Sam Houston State is obviously a bit of an oddity, but I don't think you can argue with the P6 teams on the list given who they have played/beaten and how they have played when they did it.

UConn was already #4 and should probably rise in the rankings after beating a respectable Iowa State team (#29 in the same rankings) soundly on a neutral court. We lost to a team that could end up as a #1 or #2 seed and should challenge Creighton for the Big East title. Not a lot of shame in that right now.
I thought Tennessee got blown out by 20 at home by Colorado. Apparently that is not too damaging

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
You all need to understand reffing and how these guys keep coasting along being ******* terrible.

There’s one thing that they can’t have jumping off their game page for eval and that’s total fouls. It almost always ends up evening out. Funny how that works.
Oh, I understand how that works. But they usually wait until the game it totally out of hand and there isn't enough time to make a run to start evening things out. They started earlier this game and it made a little difference. That was refreshing.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
That guy was like 275, and a load
He (Lurch) is a load already. He's going to be very good. He was a difference maker tonight. We shut down Sanogo, but had no answer for the big dude in the middle. We were also getting outrebounded but he (Clingan) just made it impossible.

Clingan will make a lot of money in the NBA. He might not be a starter in the League (hard to say as he's only a Freshman) but pretty darn good to have backup Center that can do what he can.

I'd imagine ditto for the big guy (7'4") from Purdue.

Reactions: fsanford

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He (Lurch) is a load already. He's going to be very good. He was a difference maker tonight. We shut down Sanogo, but had no answer for the big dude in the middle. We were also getting outrebounded but he (Clingan) just made it impossible.

Clingan will make a lot of money in the NBA. He might not be a starter in the League (hard to say as he's only a Freshman) but pretty darn good to have backup Center that can do what he can.

I'd imagine ditto for the big guy (7'4") from Purdue.

I want to see Clingan and that guy from Purdue wrestle.

Ideally with one wearing a Godzilla costume and the other a King Kong one.

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
Looks painfully like a carbon copy of many Big 12 conference games last year
Which ones? Learned a lot about this team from this tournament. They will be good again, if not better in big twelve play. Uconn will have no problem matching up with most teams. Lots of missed rebounds, lay ups ect. Great coaching opportunities. Very excited for Lipsey. Looked smooth going to the rim against elite talent. We for sure haven't seen that in a while.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I actually agree with him. Outside of the cheating, I don't mind Self. I can admit he is a great coach (X and O)
Self never shuts his mouth on the sidelines, it is a continuous stream of beating down the officials and reminding them who he is and who he coaches. Whether is it is warranted or not.

I don't give a crap about his coaching skills. Whether he is a good coach or not doesn't sway my opinion of whether he is an *******. That comes completely from him being an *******.

• Love
Reactions: CyBobby and CyNews

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I want to see Clingan and that guy from Purdue wrestle.

Ideally with one wearing a Godzilla costume and the other a King Kong one.
king-kong-godzilla.gif