*** Official IOWA STATE vs #20 UCONN Game(Day) Thread ***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
20-1 non conf record heading into UConn over two years.

Ignore that at the expense of your own credibility if you’re a writer/voter.

Included in that run are:
UNC
Villanova
WIsconsin (road win)
Creighton (road win)
Xavier
Memphis - huge blowout
Iowa - huge blowout

I think you're giving the voters way too much across the board credit. Remember, Chad Leistikow has a vote along with Big Ten homers all over the Midwest and Upper Midwest. 24 voters had Iowa outside the 25 but there were enough of these guys to vote them in including dudes voting them in the teens. It will mostly self correct later but a lot of these peeps are just beat or sub-regional writers that just follow their favs esepcailly in the early season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think you're giving the voters way too much across the board credit. Remember, Chad Leistikow has a vote along with Big Ten homers all over the Midwest and Upper Midwest. 24 voters had Iowa outside the 25 but there were enough of these guys to vote them in including dudes voting them in the teens. It will mostly self correct later but a lot of these peeps are just beat or sub-regional writers that just follow their favs esepcailly in the early season.

I look at Indiana and wonder what they’ve done the past two years to be ranked #11? They won a PIG last year and then got blown out in first game. 2 point road win @Xavier is really all I see this year and last year they weren’t great at all. Did they bring in a Shaq level player or something I didn’t know about?

If I’m a voter right now I think Purdue looks solid, giving Illinois, Maryland and MSU some credit and wait and see mode for rest of that league.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
From what I've seen, they have great shooters and a huge center - 7'1", 270 pounds, although he's only a freshman. He plods and looks like our athletic rim running bigs can take advantage. They play pretty hard nosed physical D as well it looks like.

This will be another really good experience gainer regardless of outcome.

Reactions: jctisu and CyNews

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Anyone know anything about uconn? Good matchup?
From what I've seen, they have great shooters and a huge center - 7'1", 270 pounds, although he's only a freshman. He plods and looks like our athletic rim running bigs can take advantage. They play pretty hard nosed physical D as well it looks like.
32 Donovan Clingan
7-2, 265, C, Fr., Bristol, Connecticut

Clingan, the No. 51 prospect in his class according to ESPN, starred at Bristol Central, averaging 27.3 points, 17.2 rebounds, 5.8 blocks and 3.1 assists in 2021 and was named the Connecticut Gatorade Basketball Player of the Year. He has impressed Hurley with his adjustment to the Big East style of play, and will be able to give Sanogo some important minutes of rest.

Cingan comes off the bench I believe, but averages 15 mpg. He is a big tree and will only get better. Stopping Sanogo will be a challenge.