*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Is this the worst team in ISU history? I've been watching ISU since the mid 80's and this is the worst I've ever witnessed. I don't know Prohm or any of the players personally. They may all be great people. Whatever. All I know is that they suck at the game of division one mens college basketball. Prohm is so bad at coaching, if he coached the Dream Team and only had to roll the ball out and watch, he would probably roll the ball out of bounds.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Did the seniors give speeches tonight, and if so does anyone have a link?

Sometimes I want to feel bad that a guy like JC-L decided to give us his last year. Said he felt like he could get to the ncaa tournament here as I recall. Instead he comes to play on one of, if not worst team in school history. He did not deserve that.

As far as observations from this game, not a lot positive. An argument could be made that they played better without Bolton, which is an interesting development. Thought Schuster looked good, had a really nice move to get a good look early on, but the ball just rolled out. Would have liked to see him get more minutes in his career.

socalcy

Jun 1, 2015
Prohm looks like the last 6 years has aged him 40 years. Guy has to get out of here, he looks awful. This has to be horrible on his health.

I have to say though, for the most part the players have conducted themselves quite well despite a horrible situation.

These guys are better than o-18. Bolton can play, JCL would be a great piece on a better team, Harris could give you a few minutes, Solomon can play offensively in the post, and Conditt could be a good rim runner type. It’s not a great team because it’s missing obvious things, but it’s not this bad. No reason they couldn’t win 5 or 6 Big 12 games.
Totally agree, Prohm is totally over his head and has been since the start. He’s
even worse than his start at ISU. He needs to find a good fit for a low level coaching role and focus on his family.

Reactions: arobb

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I will agree. His approach is better than mine would be. Killing someone over a basketball game is typically frowned upon. However, did he not put up a bit of a fuss with the official right when it happened and then again at the time out where the official pulled his masked down to talk with him sideways. Then directly after that just before play resumed also take a bit of time to "talk" with the baseline official, pointing at the official that missed the call? It appears to me to be him doing something, not Bill Self quality, but he wasn't just cowering. Larry would have had 73 expletives off before the dude would have known what hit him, but he also would have gotten a T and taken a bad trending situation and added 2 more points to it.

I THOUGHT he was doing something about it, maybe I misread his "working" for quoting bible verses to them?

I can tell you I would have handled it differently, I definitely would have gotten my pound of flesh, but I would have gotten a T, maybe 2 and that is something this team in particular can't handle; 4 points they had no chance of defending against.

And I agree, we don't need a nice guy, we need a coach. If they could be the same guy, I'd be all for it. But, nice only carries you so far. I do wish him luck wherever he ends up. He's a nice guy,
I would have gotten tossed that's for sure. It was the worst call I've seen this entire season. What do you have to lose when your team is 2-17?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Is this the worst team in ISU history? I've been watching ISU since the mid 80's and this is the worst I've ever witnessed. I don't know Prohm or any of the players personally. They may all be great people. Whatever. All I know is that they suck at the game of division one mens college basketball. Prohm is so bad at coaching, if he coached the Dream Team and only had to roll the ball out and watch, he would probably roll the ball out of bounds.

I like your comment "I don't know Prohm or any of the players personally"....that made me realize: Would I want to??? Do they give a rat's ass about us? Something very mercenary about the game now has certainly contributed to my apathy.
Larry, Deandre Kane, Lafester Rhodes, Georges, Homan, Vroman, Melvin, Victor, Terry Woods, Naz are guys I would like to hang out with after a game or see on campus. Shoot the crap with and have a beer with. What happened to that dynamic? Hell, even Wayne Morgan and McDermott would be someone I could feel like were my guys...
I guess I need a reason to care more than I just hate Kansas.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Coaching hires/JP commentary always reminds me that 99.9% of people on this site have never hired anyone in their lives.

Sometimes things just don't work out, despite what you thought at the time. It happens....

I'm sure that there are plenty of posters who have never hired anybody (excluding myself).

I do agree that 99% of us have never hired a $2.5 million/year employee. And I agree it's understandable when any poster voices a concern about JP painfully continuing to pay that employee when he is failing to do his job.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I would have gotten tossed that's for sure. It was the worst call I've seen this entire season. What do you have to lose when your team is 2-17?

I don't want a personality like Fran McCaffrey walking the sidelines, but I also don't want someone like Prohm walking the sidelines either. There has to be someone that's somewhere between the two.

Someone that isn't a total d-bag a-hole like Fran.... but also looks like they care and stands up for his players when the refs are screwing them over all the time as well.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
And don’t forget the 2nd worst team at home previously as well, I thought we’d Atleast be able to beat KSU

Worst part is, I’ve seen KSU play a few times this year and objectively, ISU has more talent. But KSU plays harder and is better coached, and that’s why they are having a bad season and we are having a legendarily bad season.