*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
So true. Gotta lose games where you bought the wins, and those are pretty cheap in MBB.

Plus you don't schedule nearly as far ahead in FB and the BB coach has much more influence over scheduling. Much easier in bball to avoid a mid major who turns in to a powerhouse in the 8 years between when the game was scheduled and when it gets played.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
tend to agree with your thoughts above but I could also see how coaches would look at the isu job at that point and think, “why would I want to follow hoiberg as a coach there? The man could do no wrong in Ames-except leave.” As well, yes there was a ton of pro talent on the team but taking over in June puts a coach behind the right ball when trying to put together future recruiting classes

I'll give you the following Hoiberg thing. That's huge, and a big omission from me.
On future classes, they'd already be working with recruits past that initial year. That doesn't seem like a huge obstacle.

Reactions: clone4life82

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Just wait until Brad Stevens gets canned in Boston. IU will have offered him a job within seconds.
He's likely out of our price range and also not a Pollard type hire but if we can land Stevens I want him. He's the reason Butler basketball got where it is today

EDIT: Meaning from the Horizon all the way up to the Big East, I know they suck this year

Reactions: cyclones500

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
He's likely out of our price range and also not a Pollard type hire but if we can land Stevens I want him. He's the reason Butler basketball got where it is today

EDIT: Meaning from the Horizon all the way up to the Big East, I know they suck this year

Stevens will have any college job he wants if he waits: Kentucky, Carolina, Duke, you name it. I'd take him in a heartbeat and back up the Brinks truck if I were Pollard, but Stevens to ISU is never happening.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

For the record, my mention of Stevens was in reference to the IU job, not ours. There's no chance he's signing up to take over this train wreck.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Only way I see Stevens going back to college is if it was for a big time job like Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky.

Indiana basketball has been down for close to 20 years, but it has equal tradition to all the programs you mention above. Went to grad school at IU and basketball in Indiana is huge. Assembly Hall was an incredible place to watch a basketball game. From an aura standpoint I would say equal to Allen Field House.

So if Stevens is looking to go back to the college game and would like to return to the state of Indiana- then the Hoosier program might be his ideal job.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHelgo

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Exactly. Campbell has a clause in his contract where I think his buyout drops if Pollard isn't the AD. It's the AD at least until Campbell leaves.

You don't fire him for retaining the basketball coach. You just take it for what it is: a tacit admission that basketball isn't a priority here, or at least that his ego is so big he won't fire his guy.
If Pollard doesn't fire CSP after this season, it is due to the financial status of ISU Athletic Department resulting from 1 year of Covid pandemic.

If donor dollars or money from operations is there, I have a tough time believing JP can't see the dire situation ISU basketball is in after our conference record the last 2 years. He's already fired McCarney, McDermott and Rhoads. He might be closer to Prohm, but professionally he knows how to evaluate a coaches performance.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If Pollard doesn't fire CSP after this season, it is due to the financial status of ISU Athletic Department resulting from 1 year of Covid pandemic.

If donor dollars or money from operations is there, I have a tough time believing JP can't see the dire situation ISU basketball is in after our conference record the last 2 years. He's already fired McCarney, McDermott and Rhoads. He might be closer to Prohm, but professionally he knows how to evaluate a coaches performance.

His extensions to Prohm and Rhoads beg to differ. Gmac was the only coach he got rid of at the right time. I love JP but those were two big mistakes.

Reactions: CycloneErik

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Lol what? He’s notoriously kept coaches too long.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Jumping in a bit... I'd say Iowa State is still desirable. Any half-wit coach can see that marginal improvement would look heroic. Pollard could go retread or up-and-comer and both would out perform.

I hope half-wit coaches aren't in the pool!

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
JP is terrible at hiring hoops. Fred hired himself. Even if he fires Prohm he will hire some other cheap low/mid major coach who goes to Church and doesn't get technicals and we will continue to be terrible.

what does going to church have anything to do with being a coach? Tom Izzo, Scott drew, mark few, mike krzyewki are a Christians... John wooden was. would you not take them as your coach? Same with getting technicals? Would you rather have mad Fran ?

Papajets

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2014
what does going to church have anything to do with being a coach? Tom Izzo, Scott drew, mark few, mike krzyewki are a Christians... John wooden was. would you not take them as your coach? Same with getting technicals? Would you rather have mad Fran ?
You obviously and thankfully have spent no time in the cave. Avoid the cave at all costs.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
You obviously and thankfully have spent no time in the cave. Avoid the cave at all costs.

I have. I typically just read though and don’t respond unless feeling inclined to.

this thread isn’t in the cave (yet) either.

Last edited: