*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
Here is a question. If we didn’t overpay for a coach when Fred left and we hired Prohm, what makes us think that we are going to find a vastly better coach if we fire Prohm after this season? We have taken a financial hit in 2020 and then you have to payout Prohm (unless he goes on his own) then pay the new coach and his buyout.

Financially it makes sense to keep him and give it one more season, hope football brings in a ton of revenue and basketball brings in some and then make the move.

it all depends on how we view Steve and his future. Is he capable of turning it around? That’s a 50-50 question that is difficult to make a decision on

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Here is a question. If we didn’t overpay for a coach when Fred left and we hired Prohm, what makes us think that we are going to find a vastly better coach if we fire Prohm after this season? We have taken a financial hit in 2020 and then you have to payout Prohm (unless he goes on his own) then pay the new coach and his buyout.

Financially it makes sense to keep him and give it one more season, hope football brings in a ton of revenue and basketball brings in some and then make the move.

it all depends on how we view Steve and his future. Is he capable of turning it around? That’s a 50-50 question that is difficult to make a decision on
I don't think it's a flip of a coin whether Steve can turn it around.. Those odds are far too high.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Maybe the decision isn't Pollards but he is being handcuffed by Wintersteen.
Wintersteen has essentially given Jamie full control over these types of things. I think the decision has already been made and we'll all know what that decision is at the end of the season.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

2-22 indicates two things:
1. It's no 50-50 question. Good, even halfway decent coaches don't go 2-22.
2. JP won't break the bank for sure, but doing better ain't hard when you're headed for 2-22.

I'd just like to emphasize again 2-22. Records like that aren't the results of bad luck, accidents, or anything else. They just reflect failure and a total inability to do the coaching job. Again, 2-22.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
2. JP won't break the bank for sure, but doing better ain't hard when you're headed for 2-22.

I'd just like to emphasize again 2-22. Records like that aren't the results of bad luck, accidents, or anything else. They just reflect failure and a total inability to do the coaching job. Again, 2-22.

To be fair, having your record made up entirely of the same number is impressive.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If anyone wants to watch some fun afternoon basketball, Miami-Ohio is playing @ Western Michigan and fun fact.. Jalen Coleman-Lands' little brother Isaiah is the starting PG for Miami-Ohio. He's pretty fun to watch.

Edit: He's not their leading scorer I read that wrong.

Reactions: IP Guy

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Prohm hire was very meh. Only one NCAA tournament with a team that was usually the most talented in the league. Prohm hire would have been ok if Fred had failed but you have a really good program at the time and could try to reach a little higher and maybe pay a little more but they went cheap mid major coach. I don't remember many people thinking it was some great hire.

Does JP get any grace considering it was June when this hire took place? I can’t recall if we missed on any slam dunk candidates from that cycle if Fred would’ve left in March.

• Winner
Reactions: socalcy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does JP get any grace considering it was June when this hire took place? I can’t recall if we missed on any slam dunk candidates from that cycle if Fred would’ve left in March.
I'm not entirely sure of the details, but I believe JP knew Fred was leaving.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
No. We were an awfully desirable job.

Don’t disagree, but our pool was Prohm, Drew and the Illinois coach. Perhaps there were better, more P6 coaches willing to jump and we didn’t want to pony up and pay, which has been the prevailing theory on JP...I don’t recall who it would’ve been. Either way, JP will get to make that choice again here in a couple of weeks.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Don’t disagree, but our pool was Prohm, Drew and the Illinois coach. Perhaps there were better, more P6 coaches willing to jump and we didn’t want to pony up and pay, which has been the prevailing theory on JP...I don’t recall who it would’ve been. Either way, JP will get to make that choice again here in a couple of weeks.

I suspect we'll both agree that this was the deal.
There's just no way this was a job where really good coaches looked and said, "well, sure, that's a roster of potential NBA guys, they win a lot, but it's June, so I'll stay put."

We'll go cheap this time, too. I like to look at better options, but we won't be doing that. It'll be a cheap hire, and probably TJ, because searching is hard and they know each other.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

It takes an incredible amount of ineptitude do do that. Going 2-22 in Men's basketball is worse than going 0-10-1 in football in 1994 in my opinion.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I suspect we'll both agree that this was the deal.
There's just no way this was a job where really good coaches looked and said, "well, sure, that's a roster of potential NBA guys, they win a lot, but it's June, so I'll stay put."

We'll go cheap this time, too. I like to look at better options, but we won't be doing that. It'll be a cheap hire, and probably TJ, because searching is hard and they know each other.

tend to agree with your thoughts above but I could also see how coaches would look at the isu job at that point and think, “why would I want to follow hoiberg as a coach there? The man could do no wrong in Ames-except leave.” As well, yes there was a ton of pro talent on the team but taking over in June puts a coach behind the right ball when trying to put together future recruiting classes

Reactions: Macloney and jsb