*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Better ask Matt Campbell about that who has based his buyout in the past on whether Pollard is the AD or not.

Matt Campbell????? Who care's........he's so Feb. 8th 2021. You need to keep up with current events pal. What the heck has JP done for ISU since then? Huh?!

• Haha
Reactions: stuclone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Firing Jamie Pollard? Have we ran out of things to complain about? Give me a break!

Do you actually think he doesn’t want a successful basketball program? When you are the one pulling the trigger you have more to consider besides appeasing the vocal minority.
I don’t think he should be fired this year if he retains Prohm but it should be a giant failure on his review.

Not firing Prohm is saying he doesn’t care about basketball. It isn’t a vocal minority that want him fired. I don’t know anyone who actively watches anymore. I feel like an awful fan for not watching but all it does is make me mad.

Pollard has done a ton of great things for this university but if he can’t know when it’s time then maybe he shouldn't have total control over coaches. If that pisses Campbell off then maybe he isn’t as with it as we think. There’s a difference between the family first environment that JP has created with our coaches and just flat out not holding them responsible. I hope Campbell wants to be held to a higher standard than what Prohm has put out there.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don’t think he should be fired this year if he retains Prohm but it should be a giant failure on his review.

Not firing Prohm is saying he doesn’t care about basketball. It isn’t a vocal minority that want him fired. I don’t know anyone who actively watches anymore. I feel like an awful fan for not watching but all it does is make me mad.

Pollard has done a ton of great things for this university but if he can’t know when it’s time then maybe he shouldn't have total control over coaches. If that pisses Campbell off then maybe he isn’t as with it as we think. There’s a difference between the family first environment that JP has created with our coaches and just flat out not holding them responsible. I hope Campbell wants to be held to a higher standard than what Prohm has put out there.

I don't think we know what it would say. We don't know the financial implications and people claiming otherwise on here don't know the full story either.

Reactions: jeffcloneinomaha

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
And you left out the 20-30 point blowouts to unranked teams. Yes, we have been close in some games but haven't won a single one of them. But we've also lost by huge spreads in record fashion. You can't buy a coin and not own both sides of it.
Heres a sample from Boston College, who I would argue is competing with us for worst Power 6 team in college basketball. Even they have won 1 conference game but heres some of their other games.

St Johns L 93-97
@Minnesota L 80-85 OT
@ NC State L 76-79
@Duke L 82-83
Wake Forest L 65-69

Vanderbilt might be the next worst after BC

@ Kentucky L 74-77
Miss St L 81-84
@ Georgia L 70-73
Kentucky L 78-82
@ Alabama L 78-82

Fred at Nebraska has been really bad also but they at least won a conference road game.

So even the worst teams in college basketball are competitive on given nights.

My comment wasn't about the team or the coaching staff. All I was saying is that the competitive games against quality teams give some hope that there are big 12-level players on the roster that can be part of a rebuild. BC, Vanderbilt and Nebraska probably have few too, but I don't pay attention or care about them.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Hi I am Curt. Both my wife and I actively watch or listen (listen if it's on the ESPN 3 thing like the Baylor game) to the games. I don't care how bad we are I am going to watch.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
My comment wasn't about the team or the coaching staff. All I was saying is that the competitive games against quality teams give some hope that there are big 12-level players on the roster that can be part of a rebuild. BC, Vanderbilt and Nebraska probably have few too, but I don't pay attention or care about them.
I wasn't responding to anyone personally. My comment was in general that just because we've had a few close games doesn't mean this team is well coached or good by any means.

I agree that we have a few good Big 12 players. That's why I think a new coaching staff could take those pieces next year and have them competitive again.

• Friendly
Reactions: NENick

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
So Haliburton has 23 points and 9 assists for the Sacramento Kings the other night, Horton-Tucker scores 7 for the LA Lakers, and Wigginton has 28 points and 7 assists in the G league. What do they all have in common? They were all recruited by Prohm and they would all be playing for Iowa State this season if they hadn't left early to turn pro. I certainly don't blame any of them for going pro, but imagine how different the season would be with those guys in the starting five.

When you take that much talent off your roster and you add to it the incredible misfortune our program has endured this season, it's easy to understand how things have turned so far south. I think Prohm is a wonderful human being and I believe he's the victim of the perfect storm of unfortunate circumstances. I also think he's a much better coach than many on this board think. I hate when bad things happen to good people.

Ha! You are the My Pillow CEO of Steve Prohms coaching career.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
There is one important in this AD in 2021. Keeping Matt Campbell happy. That’s it.

I’ve seen this several times. When you run a $100 million company like Jamie Pollard does, you have to have the ability to focus on multiple areas. Football is #1 but there are a bunch of other things to manage. #2 is MBB. And bringing back Prohm means you basically have given up on the second most important part of the AD. I don’t think he’s dumb enough to do that. But if so, you have to wonder why...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I’ve seen this several times. When you run a $100 million company like Jamie Pollard does, you have to have the ability to focus on multiple areas. Football is #1 but there are a bunch of other things to manage. #2 is MBB. And bringing back Prohm means you basically have given up on the second most important part of the AD. I don’t think he’s dumb enough to do that. But if so, you have to wonder why...

Matt Campbell has made working with pollard a priority. I was responding to someone saying pollard should be fired if he doesn’t fire prohm. I said that should never happen.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
What about Archie Miller? He may get let go at Indiana but that dude was great at Dayton. Sometimes things don’t click but he’s a proven commodity. What would everything think about him as a potential replacement? Personally, I’d like it.