*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
And you left out the 20-30 point blowouts to unranked teams. Yes, we have been close in some games but haven't won a single one of them. But we've also lost by huge spreads in record fashion. You can't buy a coin and not own both sides of it.

Not gonna lie, never heard this phrase before, but I like it.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
but if I see one more god damn top of the key, ball screen out of a timeout I’m going to lose my mind.

I lost mine a couple years ago: this is Prohm's offense - hello!

He can only pull it off if he has NBA talent to come off the high-ball screen and go 1-on-1 for the score. And we all have seen the comments about our set out-of-bounds plays.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah, none of that really fits.
JCL has open corner threes all the time, and he's deadly there.
The Harris one, no.
Johnson isn't even the poorest man's THT.
Solo and effort go together sometimes, but rarely for long stretches.

It was clever, but none of those work.

Listen, I'm not saying any of them is anywhere near the talent level of who I compared it to. I just think there are alot of similarities.

Individual comparisons aside, our offense is almost completely reliant on making very tough shots. Even when we were somewhat successful (2018-2019), we were reliant on making tough shots. I can remember countless games where Shayok had to bail us out making very, very tough shots. It's an indictment on Prohm that he can't seem to formulate an offense that can get guys easy looks. When you have NBA caliber players, it may do enough to hold water. When you don't, well this is what happens.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think most disheartening part is that we are this bad and our freshmen can't even get a sniff of playing time. Walker has fallen out of favor and Dubar and Blackwell can't find the floor. We stink and we play 2 seniors, 4 juniors and a sophomore.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Listen, I'm not saying any of them is anywhere near the talent level of who I compared it to. I just think there are alot of similarities.

Individual comparisons aside, our offense is almost completely reliant on making very tough shots. Even when we were somewhat successful (2018-2019), we were reliant on making tough shots. I can remember countless games where Shayok had to bail us out making very, very tough shots. It's an indictment on Prohm that he can't seem to formulate an offense that can get guys easy looks. When you have NBA caliber players, it may do enough to hold water. When you don't, well this is what happens.

That's more from a weak gameplan and lack of talent.
For example, Bolton was rarely quick enough last night to get past either Baylor guy on the pick-and-roll, so we keep running it.

That last half of that post, I'll totally agree. Prohm requires great talent to compensate for the nothing he brings to the table.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
First half he was lost. lol. He had 2 offensive fouls in under 3 minutes, he wasn't lost. He wasn't on the floor in the first half.

He came in the game, instantly gave up an open dunk to his guy, then commits an offensive foul, then Baylor gets a wide open 3, then another offensive foul and he went to bench. He was not ready to play.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Really can't ask for a better game from this team. I know Baylor is just coming off Covid stuff but even Baylor at 75% is a good team.

Reactions: NWICY

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
but if I see one more god damn top of the key, ball screen out of a timeout I’m going to lose my mind.

It always* worked when Monte did it. Why doesn't it work for a guy without high-NBA level ball handling skills? It's a mystery!

* even Monte could only make it work about half the time; he ended up forced into chucking bad 3s a lot too, but at least he could manage the shot clock and chuck them at the right time. NWB, Wigg, Rasir, all got pushed into the same thing but took the forced shot with 9 seconds left lol.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Really can't ask for a better game from this team. I know Baylor is just coming off Covid stuff but even Baylor at 75% is a good team.

They played about as well as they could, and I commend them for that.

At the same time, realizing that us playing our "A" game for 85% of the game, and Baylor playing their "D" game for about the entirety of the game still nets us a loss is not cause for celebration. It's telling of how far we are from being competitive.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That game was the epitome of the season as well as Steve Prohm's career at Iowa State. A couple of things from last night:

1. Not having a PG was glaring at the end and has been at the end of every close game. Our half court offense is abysmal and 50% of that has to do with us not having a true PG. We don't have a single guy I'd trust to make the right play and that's bad.

2. Situational coaching has been and obviously still is awful. What's the percentage of successful plays ran out of a TO? I'd love to know that and compare it to other programs. That high ball screen play was 3rd grade level stuff. To go along with situational coaching, Solomon Young should not have been in the game down the stretch. GC was actually doing a pretty good job at defending the rim and towards the end of the game, all Baylor was doing was attacking the rim. Young is not a rim protector.

3. In close games, the thing that usually wins/loses you games is the FT line and yet again, we barely shoot any. We shot 5 FT's last night. We shot 6 against OU. And it's not just about shooting FT's. It's that we're not getting guys into foul trouble OR allowing us the opportunity to shoot 1-1's down the stretch instead of running our disgusting half court sets.

4. Incredibly well fought game by our team. Our guys deserved that win but aren't in the right situation to win those types of games. It's a combination of a lot of things and a lot of those things have to do with roster construction and in-game coaching. All of those things that hopefully will get fixed with an entirely new staff. I fully believe there are pieces on this team that can work in a different situation.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
And you left out the 20-30 point blowouts to unranked teams. Yes, we have been close in some games but haven't won a single one of them. But we've also lost by huge spreads in record fashion. You can't buy a coin and not own both sides of it.

Were you prepared to say that about Baylor had we won? No....course not! This is part of one of the few panic attack posts you had during halftime rationalizing how the heck #2 is struggling with that joker Steve Prohm............

BS - they haven't played in a month and it's a single game.

So it's funny you didn't mention how ISU not playing for almost two weeks, then having maybe 7 guys suit up may have played into some of those lopsided outcomes. Noooooooo! But yet somehow greatly affects how the #2 in the country isn't just curb stomping such a stooge. Sorry:

You can't buy a coin and not own both sides of it.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

At the same time, realizing that us playing our "A" game for 85% of the game, and Baylor playing their "D" game for about the entirety of the game still nets us a loss is not cause for celebration. It's telling of how far we are from being competitive.

According to the T Rank Game Score criteria we graded out at a 97. Best game of the season by that standard and it still wasn't enough.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
That game was the epitome of the season as well as Steve Prohm's career at Iowa State. A couple of things from last night:

1. Not having a PG was glaring at the end and has been at the end of every close game. Our half court offense is abysmal and 50% of that has to do with us not having a true PG. We don't have a single guy I'd trust to make the right play and that's bad.

2. Situational coaching has been and obviously still is awful. What's the percentage of successful plays ran out of a TO? I'd love to know that and compare it to other programs. That high ball screen play was 3rd grade level stuff. To go along with situational coaching, Solomon Young should not have been in the game down the stretch. GC was actually doing a pretty good job at defending the rim and towards the end of the game, all Baylor was doing was attacking the rim. Young is not a rim protector.

3. In close games, the thing that usually wins/loses you games is the FT line and yet again, we barely shoot any. We shot 5 FT's last night. We shot 6 against OU. And it's not just about shooting FT's. It's that we're not getting guys into foul trouble OR allowing us the opportunity to shoot 1-1's down the stretch instead of running our disgusting half court sets.

4. Incredibly well fought game by our team. Our guys deserved that win but aren't in the right situation to win those types of games. It's a combination of a lot of things and a lot of those things have to do with roster construction and in-game coaching. All of those things that hopefully will get fixed with an entirely new staff. I fully believe there are pieces on this team that can work in a different situation.
Point 2 here is what I was most upset with. I understand having solo in the game down the stretch when he is a scoring option, but last night he wasn't a scoring option. Conditt protecting the rim could have been a game changer down the stretch.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I agree but again we're now 0-14. I'll settle for a fun game to watch where we are competitive at this point. It was fun and I found myself getting really into it. It's been a while.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008

I think the epitome of Prohms coaching comes with less than a minute left in the game and it’s a two point game and Prohm calls a timeout and the play is for Rasir to run the clock down to 7-8 seconds and have Solomon come up for a high ball screen only to be shutdown and end up turning the ball over. You had to call a timeout and that’s what you draw up? The same thing you run EVERY half court possession? Just a clueless coach. It was the best ISU has played all year and his coaching in the last minute cost them any chance for an upset.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Were you prepared to say that about Baylor had we won? No....course not! This is part of one of the few panic attack posts you had during halftime rationalizing how the heck #2 is struggling with that joker Steve Prohm............

So it's funny you didn't mention how ISU not playing for almost two weeks, then having maybe 7 guys suit up may have played into some of those lopsided outcomes. Noooooooo! But yet somehow greatly affects how the #2 in the country isn't just curb stomping such a stooge. Sorry:

We lost to a 9-8 Mississippi State team by 40. Covid or not, it was embarrassing. We didnt play a full strength Baylor or Gonzaga team with only 7 players.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Of course Covid had an effect on Baylor and of course it had an effect on ISU when they dealt with it. No one is saying otherwise.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
According to the T Rank Game Score criteria we graded out at a 97. Best game of the season by that standard and it still wasn't enough.

97 is equivalent to #10 in the country if we were to play that good every night on average.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think the epitome of Prohms coaching comes with less than a minute left in the game and it’s a two point game and Prohm calls a timeout and the play is for Rasir to run the clock down to 7-8 seconds and have Solomon come up for a high ball screen only to be shutdown and end up turning the ball over. You had to call a timeout and that’s what you draw up? The same thing you run EVERY half court possession? Just a clueless coach. It was the best ISU has played all year and his coaching in the last minute cost them any chance for an upset.
He's probably one of the least creative coaches in CBB and I honestly think he confuses guys. Watch other teams and how their players know what to do and where to be at almost all the time. Then watch our guys and we couldn't have the slightest clue. Even after a timeout we look lost.

There are probably 8 possessions a game where we're in the half court, we look over to Prohm, he yells out a play and has to scream at guys to get them to where they need to be, and it usually ends in some sort of high ball screen and a poor shot attempt. HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING.