*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'm beginning to think dribbling around the outside, jacking up 3s and long 2s isn't going to be a winning strategy.

This has been my biggest frustration this year. ZERO changes to schemes, personnel, etc even after loss after loss after loss. After loss. Prohm rolls out the exact same approach. Insanity.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggins and CyBobby

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I’m getting excited about Kyle Keller. Hope we kick those tires.
Why Kyle Keller when you can go get Joe Golding from Abilene Christian?
Looking up these two Coaches records at current positions: Keller, 0-38 first 3 years, killing it the last 2. Golding, losing record first 6 years at AC, 16-16 in 7th year, now getting it going and doing well in last 3 years there.

Are we willing to maybe wait 3-7 years to get ISU back on track? No doubt these 2 are very good coaches. Heck, you might say let's get Porter Moser, but even he had a less than superlative coaching record up until the last few years at Loyola.

What I do know is that Prohm has progressively gotten worse, not better.

I think what we need is a coach that has a proven record of success, even if it might have taken some time. He should be charismatic, good at x's and o's, something he is known for (defense, offense, rebounding), and a known good recruiter.

Whoever it is, it may take time to turn the corner.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Looking up these two Coaches records at current positions: Keller, 0-38 first 3 years, killing it the last 2. Golding, losing record first 6 years at AC, 16-16 in 7th year, now getting it going and doing well in last 3 years there.

Are we willing to maybe wait 3-7 years to get ISU back on track? No doubt these 2 are very good coaches. Heck, you might say let's get Porter Moser, but even he had a less than superlative coaching record up until the last few years at Loyola.

What I do know is that Prohm has progressively gotten worse, not better.

I think what we need is a coach that has a proven record of success, even if it might have taken some time. He should be charismatic, good at x's and o's, something he is known for (defense, offense, rebounding), and a known good recruiter.

Whoever it is, it may take time to turn the corner.

The reason Keller's record is 0-38 his first three years is because Austin had to vacate all it's wins due to some administration error declaring players eligible. In fact.....they had to vacate 117 wins in men's basketball dating back to 2014. So his record is very skewed by those numbers.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The reason Keller's record is 0-38 his first three years is because Austin had to vacate all it's wins due to some administration error declaring players eligible. In fact.....they had to vacate 117 wins in men's basketball dating back to 2014. So his record is very skewed by those numbers.
Yeah that makes sense. I mean 0-7 his second year, only 7 games, and 0 wins first 3 years. something was taken away.

Thanks for clarifying.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yeah that makes sense. I mean 0-7 his second year, only 7 games, and 0 wins first 3 years. something was taken away.

Thanks for clarifying.

He is a good coach. I guess there are those who would say he is only following in the footsteps of Brad Underwood even though his best year is 4 years removed from Underwood. Has assistant experience at Texas A@M, Kansas and Okie State so he knows the league. If I didn't think a decision had already been made, I would say he would be worth at least an interview.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Dubar will go somewhere like Texas Tech and be a relentless rebounder his JR & SR years.
I was thinking the same thing the past week or two. I mean look at Clayton Cussler, trasfer to Loyola, did pretty well there, went to Final 4 in 2018. Caleb Grill, transfer to UNLV, doing pretty well there. Both shooters! something we lack.

Pure speculation about our 4 Freshmen: Walker, Dubar, Blackwell, Foster. They could all stay with a new coach. They could all transfer. I also feel if they/some of them transfer to another team/coach/system, they could reach their full potential and be "lights out" in years to come.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He is a good coach. I guess there are those who would say he is only following in the footsteps of Brad Underwood even though his best year is 4 years removed from Underwood. Has assistant experience at Texas A@M, Kansas and Okie State so he knows the league. If I didn't think a decision had already been made, I would say he would be worth at least an interview.

Yea he's got a solid background as an Assistant at other Big 12 schools that becoming head coach at ISU wouldn't be a reach after SFA.

Also I think a valuable asset on any ISU coaching staff would be a head coach or assistant coach with strong ties to Texas. There are so many great HS basketball players in the state of Texas that it would be a great area for ISU's staff to have a pipeline.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It makes NO difference who the new coach is, its going to be rebuilding from scratch. It will take 2 to 3 years to turn this mess around, hellsbells Lynn Nance left a better program than what csp is leaving the next coach....

PATIENCE BOYS ITS GOING TO TAKE TIME IN THIS LEAGUE OF PHENOM COACHES.

Reactions: erinmd32

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well one last chance for the MBB team to not go 0fer in regular season conference play. I'll listen to it on the radio. I guess if they lose out at least I'll have the memories of seeing the worst ISU MBB team of the post Johnny Orr era, and maybe of all time.

For those that are still tuning in today at 4 on the +.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I saw we got clowned on Around the Horn yesterday on ESPN. They didn't directly make fun of us, but they talked about the team manager getting in the game and drawing a charge call, showed all the clips of that and the team's celebration with him on the court. Pretty gross stuff....thanks Prohm.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I saw we got clowned on Around the Horn yesterday on ESPN. They didn't directly make fun of us, but they talked about the team manager getting in the game and drawing a charge call, showed all the clips of that and the team's celebration with him on the court. Pretty gross stuff....thanks Prohm.
When that happened, I knew that I was witnessing the rock bottom of our program's history.

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
Thanks a lot to Coach Prohm aka our coach Licklighter

• Creative
  • Love
Reactions: cyputz and CyBobby