NFL: ***Official Christmas Eve Packers vs. Vikings Game Thread ***

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yes I'm glad he's having a great game today. For the most part over the past three years he hasn't been dominating as he was in 2010. Don't let the commercials and the name fool you. I never said I didn't like him or he wasn't valuable. But he can't be a full time linebacker and our linebacking core is awful. That's why letting one big name go for a couple above average linebackers would be a good move. Or perhaps your forgetting that our D almost lost us the game at the Bears last weekend which would have made this game almost pointless. Our D has a good line, bad linebackers, and an injury riddled backfield core. Unless your happy with Jake Ryan and Martinez for the future.
I'd love to see him have a great playoff run. Maybe it will distract teams into giving real value back.

Green Bay isn't a franchise that can afford to hang on to situational players too long, even if that means trimming some muscle.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If I score a touchdown to bring the game to within 19 points with 5 minutes to go, I'm definitely going to throw the ball into the stands.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Yes I'm glad he's having a great game today. For the most part over the past three years he hasn't been dominating as he was in 2010. Don't let the commercials and the name fool you. I never said I didn't like him or he wasn't valuable. But he can't be a full time linebacker and our linebacking core is awful. That's why letting one big name go for a couple above average linebackers would be a good move. Or perhaps your forgetting that our D almost lost us the game at the Bears last weekend which would have made this game almost pointless. Our D has a good line, bad linebackers, and an injury riddled backfield core. Unless your happy with Jake Ryan and Martinez for the future.

I don't know if adding two average linebackers by taking away your best is worth it.

tay2015

Aug 7, 2015
You just made his point.

He's only 1 guy that's often injured- right now he's still good enough to get more than 1 guy that can help a defense in need.

I don't know if adding two average linebackers by taking away your best is worth it.

I didn't say average, I said above average. Also CoKane as the above poster said, you made my point. Merry X-Mas.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I didn't say average, I said above average.

You're right, I misread that. However, if Clay is the value that you think he is, I don't think we'd even be able to get 2 above average linebackers.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA

The line backing core is fine. I like Jake Ryan and Perry is good. Why are we writing off Ryan and Martinez anyways? Aren't they both rookies? Clay Matthews is playing his heart out for this team and only one side of his upper body works, and he's still pretty damn good.

If anyone on this defense need to be handed their walking papers it's Sam Shields.

tay2015

Aug 7, 2015
The line backing core is fine. I like Jake Ryan and Perry is good. Why are we writing off Ryan and Martinez anyways? Aren't they both rookies? Clay Matthews is playing his heart out for this team and only one side of his upper body works, and he's still pretty damn good.

If anyone on this defense need to be handed their walking papers it's Sam Shields.

First I never said hand him his walking papers, I said I like him, it's just time to get some value out of him while we can. The line backing core is fine? Look what you just typed. Ryan and Martinez are both later round pick rookies. Can you point to a defense where both linebackers are late round pick rookies? I beg you to watch games and concentrate on the defense and watch the linebackers only. It's rough bud. I'm bowing out of this conversation however as the majority of packer fans here agree and see the bigger picture, while you and CoKane love big names and flashy plays.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
So is it just my cable or is everyone's Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh game all herky jerky?

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
First I never said hand him his walking papers, I said I like him, it's just time to get some value out of him while we can. The line backing core is fine? Look what you just typed. Ryan and Martinez are both later round pick rookies. Can you point to a defense where both linebackers are late round pick rookies? I beg you to watch games and concentrate on the defense and watch the linebackers only. It's rough bud. I'm bowing out of this conversation however as the majority of packer fans here agree and see the bigger picture, while you and CoKane love big names and flashy plays.

I'm not sure singling out one group of players on a defense is the best way to do things. Shouldn't we be more concerned how multiple groups play together? If the Green Bay DLine and LB are good enough to make up the 9th best Rush Defense in the league and are in the top 15 in sacks, I would say that's pretty satisfactory. I think the GB defense has done a fine job helping get this team within one win of the playoffs. Yes, the offense has come alive and taken some pressure off the D in the past few games, but that should be expected when you have the best QB in the game and a receiving core as explosive as the Packers. We give credit to guys like Montgomery and Allison for stepping up despite their inexperience, but we slam 2 guys who have played a total of 15 games in the NFL?

If CoKane and I can't cheer for the "big flashy names" like Matthews, and we can't cheer for the rookies, what do you suggest we do?

Reactions: CoKane

tay2015

Aug 7, 2015
I'm not sure singling out one group of players on a defense is the best way to do things. Shouldn't we be more concerned how multiple groups play together? If the Green Bay DLine and LB are good enough to make up the 9th best Rush Defense in the league and are in the top 15 in sacks, I would say that's pretty satisfactory. I think the GB defense has done a fine job helping get this team within one win of the playoffs. Yes, the offense has come alive and taken some pressure off the D in the past few games, but that should be expected when you have the best QB in the game and a receiving core as explosive as the Packers. We give credit to guys like Montgomery and Allison for stepping up despite their inexperience, but we slam 2 guys who have played a total of 15 games in the NFL?

If CoKane and I can't cheer for the "big flashy names" like Matthews, and we can't cheer for the rookies, what do you suggest we do?

You seem to keep dodging my points. Look at the teams we have faced who can run the ball. The ones who have a top 10 rushing attack run all over us, the NFC north cannot run the ball, there is your stat you pulled out. I'll still go ahead and wait for your example of an average linebacking core composed of two late round pick rookies. Comparing Montgomery (who I got 8 autographed pictures of for Xmas, thank you to my friend who rented out a suite) to rookie linebackers is apples and oranges. I go to 3 Packer games a year in GB have two friends who are season ticket holders, and two close family members/friends who made the Pro Bowl this year. If you want to continue to debate NFL with me I will, as soon as you post an above average linebacking core who started as late round draft picks on the same team. Cheers Hok fan!

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Cheer for middle of the road at best veterans like AJ Hawk and Brad Jones I guess? That sounds like fun

• Agree
Reactions: theantiAIRBHG

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
You seem to keep dodging my points. Look at the teams we have faced who can run the ball. The ones who have a top 10 rushing attack run all over us, the NFC north cannot run the ball, there is your stat you pulled out. I'll still go ahead and wait for your example of an average linebacking core composed of two late round pick rookies. Comparing Montgomery (who I got 8 autographed pictures of for Xmas, thank you to my friend who rented out a suite) to rookie linebackers is apples and oranges. I go to 3 Packer games a year in GB have two friends who are season ticket holders, and two close family members/friends who made the Pro Bowl this year. If you want to continue to debate NFL with me I will, as soon as you post an above average linebacking core who started as late round draft picks on the same team. Cheers Hok fan!

This is one of the best posts in the history of this website.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Ryan isn't a rookie. He played quite a bit last year, especially after clay and Jones or perry were hurt last year.

Reactions: theantiAIRBHG

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron