Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Through 5 games, these are the averages for NWB
15.6 PPG
6.2 APG
7.6 RPG

This also includes the first 2 games before he took over as the primary PG. His stats in the past 3 games where he's been the primary PG
17.6 PPG
8.6 APG
9.3 RPG

Not too shabby

That's just incredible. Truly amazing. That said, we can't reasonably expect him to keep this up, can we? He's gone to a role player on last year's team to this year's irreplaceable piece? Wow. So happy to see his incredible development. Prohm was right, Babb totally looks like an NBA player out there.

Fun to win all these games (football and basketball) this weekend:)

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Let's just say it's a gif that we might have to delete if posted. Not sure which game, but it is him on the bench making a certain motion. The one you found is a lot more celebratory. :)
Possible to post this under a spoiler tag? I would like to see this as well.

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Coming into this season expectations were mixed with all the roster turnover and after the rough start to the season expectations got a big gut check too. Winning 3 in 4 days on a neutral court regardless of the opponent was a much needed confidence boost for this young team that was facing adversity early. There are going to be high and lows this year with this group and how they rebound from the lows will be a reflection on how this coaching staff is able to keep them focused on 1 game at a time. I think we have the right guy for the job in Coach Prohm, he's not going to kick and scream during the game when our young guys make mistakes like that coach on the other side of the state might possibly go nuts on them during that game. It seems like this coaching staff will lets these guys make their mistakes on the court and use it as a teaching opportunity after the game. After the 1st 2 games we were concerned about the chemistry of this team but after watching them play in this tournament it would seem that they are gaining some chemistry already as they looked much more confident and were having more fun than they were just a week ago.

We also have to realize that when Fred left he essentially left a 2 year gap in recruiting classes with all the transfers and grad transfers he brought in while not really having any HS recruits to mix in since the group that just graduated. Look at this year's hold overs and they are all Prohm guys in NWB, Jackson, Young, and Long. This should have been the season that Prohm was feasting on juniors and seniors Fred brought in while mixing in his own guys. If we have a 1 year bump in the road I'm fine with that as Prohm has a solid 2018 class coming in that will add to a young core that just played a lot of meaningful time this season. I don't expect this team to make the NCAA tournament based off what I have seen so far these guys aren't going to quit when things get tough.

Things I liked from this tournament:

Lard: This kid has a high ceiling and may work his way into the starting lineup at some point. Love his hustle on both ends of the court. He's going to be special player if he keeps his head in the game.
Long: Easy to forget he was a 4 star recruit a year ago and he's carving out a nice role off the bench so far. Has a Big 12 body, he didn't play much tonight but I think he's shown he is going to be key guy off the bench this year.
Wigginton: Once the game slows down for this kid he's going to be fun to watch. Lots of athleticism and tonight I really loved how he was crashing the boards. The one thing that impressed me was listening to the post game show on the radio after the exhibition game he talked about how they need to get to the FT line more and this was after he shot 10 FT himself that night. I think once things slow down for him and he drives to the hoop more and will draw fouls but him making a statement like that as a freshman shows he is a smart player that knows his role.
NWB: Really impressed with him stepping up and taking the leadership role on this team and now is the main PG. When we needed a big stop or a big basket to stop a run Nick was involved in some way.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He walked around before the game and was very friendly with the fans. It was great to see. After the game, Lard went over to him and gave him a big hug like they were best friends. Anyone know the connection there?

Lard was in Ames last spring, I think carter was too. Or did he leave 2 years ago?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Seems like Beverly is getting Tally's minutes.
I think Beverly has a roll but trying to initiate offense should not be any part of the roll.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
He walked around before the game and was very friendly with the fans. It was great to see. After the game, Lard went over to him and gave him a big hug like they were best friends. Anyone know the connection there?

Besides being teammates?

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and 2020cy

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Wigginton is getting more comfortable. Great to see the improvement and his confidence tonight. He is going to be special

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Great wins and taking home some hardware. Love watching the game slow down for Wigginton. Babb has an interesting way of playing the point almost like a point forward the way he finds people. NIT hope remains.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Find Prohm?

23795286_10159688594120445_8298120099082821396_n.jpg

Oh, there his is! (Stole this from Facebook)

23621973_2131543723526362_2231438728728535981_n.jpg

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That's just incredible. Truly amazing. That said, we can't reasonably expect him to keep this up, can we? He's gone to a role player on last year's team to this year's irreplaceable piece? Wow. So happy to see his incredible development. Prohm was right, Babb totally looks like an NBA player out there.

If it’s 12-5-5 that’s a great college season.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

It would be awful hard to keep up his absurd stats from the last 3 games but I don't think something like 12-5-5 would be too crazy. I actually think he has some upside on scoring in that line too as I feel he still gets a little passive at times at looking for his own shot.

I've always been a big Babb believer(though I'll admit I didn't think he'd be playing PG this year). Thought last year he looked the part and that it was a confidence issue and not one of him failing to be a Big 12 talent.

We also have to realize that when Fred left he essentially left a 2 year gap in recruiting classes with all the transfers and grad transfers he brought in while not really having any HS recruits to mix in since the group that just graduated. Look at this year's hold overs and they are all Prohm guys in NWB, Jackson, Young, and Long. This should have been the season that Prohm was feasting on juniors and seniors Fred brought in while mixing in his own guys. If we have a 1 year bump in the road I'm fine with that as Prohm has a solid 2018 class coming in that will add to a young core that just played a lot of meaningful time this season. I don't expect this team to make the NCAA tournament based off what I have seen so far these guys aren't going to quit when things get tough.

Technically, Babb is the last Hoiberg recruit. He transferred in the spring of 2015 before Fred left so he deserves some credit there.