***Official Big 12 expansion thread***

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Why does everyone always say that playing in certain states opens up recruiting? We've been recruiting Fla. and Cal. somewhat successfully because we have coaches that know the area and have connections there. People are saying the SEC wants aTm to open up recruiting to Texas...You're telling me LSU and Bama can't go into Tex and get some pretty decent talent? It may be a little easier, but the reason they don't get them now is because they don't try.

You're right. Hayden Fry whipped our backsides for years with boys from TX and the Hawkeyes didn't play a game in TX.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think getting BYU should definitely be priority #1. 12 teams would be ideal, but first things first, is BYU.

I'll disagree. I'm not a huge fan of BYU. Louisville would be my #1 priority if im only going to 10.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
but Hayden was from Texas, he brought the good ole boy network with him.

Which only reinforces the point. You don't have to have a conference team in the state to recruit there.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
No you don't have to play in Texas to recruit there, but I don't see how anybody can really believe that it doesn't help us recruit in that state because we play games down there every year. That's like saying parents and friends don't really care if they can see their son play in person once in awhile. That's why all else being equal, Texas colleges have an advantage in recruiting in their own state.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
No you don't have to play in Texas to recruit there, but I don't see how anybody can really believe that it doesn't help us recruit in that state because we play games down there every year. That's like saying parents and friends don't really care if they can see their son play in person once in awhile. That's why all else being equal, Texas colleges have an advantage in recruiting in their own state.

Did anybody happen to notice how many kids from California were on the UCONN squad?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I'd argue that ISU has had more success the past few years recruiting FL than they have recruiting TX. Not saying that having conference games in TX doesn't help, but it's more about relationships, TV appearances, NFL success and overall state of the program.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Can't wait to see posts saying the Big 12 should add schools like Memphis, New Mexico or Tulsa

No, I'm cheering for North Texas, get Dan McCarney back in the Big 12. Then I think we should go after Marshall, they have a national title after all, and we really need the academic side so I vote for Yale.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I say west Virginia. decent basketball. good football. AND THEY HAVE A WRESTLING PROGRAM.

I would like to see us add a few wrestling programs. Maybe we can talk BYU into dropping their mens volleyball and adding wrestling. If BYU keeps it they will have to play independent or ally themselves with another conference for that sport only. Or they can scrape it, go with wrestling and fit right into the Big 12.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I'll agree that the geography of Louisville makes sense but they have very few fans not a good pull in terms of tv. BYU and WV make a lot of sense both schools have a lot of fans.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
They have had awhile to work on this - wish they would announce a new team coming in to steal A&M's TV time about them leaving.

Any guesses on when we will hear something?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Think bigger.

BYU, of course.
University of Arkansas
University of Kentucky

East and West divisions. Permanent path to stability by adding state schools with better demographics. Rub Slive's nose in it as a bonus.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
Now that it looks like the B12 is stabilized (if all remaining did sign TV rights away), I wonder if approaching ND and Arkansas could pay dividends?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Will we have to go back to two 6 team divisions to get a championship game back?

Help Support Us

Become a patron