*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just watching highlights and missed the game.

Love how this team just turned the page and went out and got it today including stepping on their throats when they came back.

The level of fortitude and resistance is off the charts.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's really not about any player or team.

Its about @ZRF demonstrating his superior basketball intellect and he has hitched that wagon to hammering BRE this year.

It's about thinking Jay Wright, Dana Altman, Fred and a whole bunch of others should have been on the magical short list two years ago.

Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People are actually defending Robert Jones, which I didn't now was a thing. I thought we were all in agreement that he should be playing fewer minutes. Like zero.

Well too bad for you he's playing minutes and the team is winning.

Sorry that's happening.

Who do you have playing for him that's not averaging 3 fouls/17 minutes?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Well too bad for you he's playing minutes and the team is winning.

Sorry that's happening.

Who do you have playing for him that's not averaging 3 fouls/17 minutes?
Lol yeah you're definitely not the one being weird in this thread. You're more invested in this than me. It's not that serious.

King should be coming in for Shoon. Jaz can play the 4. Watson. Jones wasn't completely awful today, but he has had multiple stretches in conference play where he has almost singlehandedly let the opponent back in the game. He's not a Big 12 player. It's obvious to everyone but you I guess.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You're more invested in this than me. King should be coming in for Shoon. Jaz can play the 4. Watson. Jones wasn't completely awful today, but he has had multiple stretches in conference play where he has almost singlehandedly let the opponent back in the game. He's not a Big 12 player. It's obvious to everyone but you I guess.

Were you saying the same last game when it was everyone else doing this very thing?

Jaz had 4 fouls in 11 minutes today. Osun 4 in 23. King averages 3 in 17 at the 4. Who comes in for him at the 4 that's consistent and can stay on the floor? Watson has had some moments but also fouls quickly.

He's certainly limited but that's the case team-wide which is kind of the point vs. 'he just shouldn't play'.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Don't forget that he scored his baskets on transition plays instead of offensive sets, which is quite strangely a real issue for some.

The highlight of RJ deflecting the ball, saving it in bounds, hustling down the court to get the layup at the other end is just not vintage ISU Hilton basketball and he's not able to do it.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don’t think it’s Rob’s minutes (we do need them) but more so the shot selection. His post moves of late have not been good.
Agree give Rob his 15ish a game and tell him to go all out and go get some garbage points and make hustle plays. The posting him up several times a game makes no sense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t think it’s Rob’s minutes (we do need them) but more so the shot selection. His post moves of late have not been good.

He gets in a hurry for sure or the eyes get big when it's not there. A quick look back out may help get a better look.

The team in general is at their best when they play within their abilities.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Lol yeah you're definitely not the one being weird in this thread. You're more invested in this than me. It's not that serious.

King should be coming in for Shoon. Jaz can play the 4. Watson. Jones wasn't completely awful today, but he has had multiple stretches in conference play where he has almost singlehandedly let the opponent back in the game. He's not a Big 12 player. It's obvious to everyone but you I guess.
Well obvious to everyone except a lot of fans, Otz, Green and Blount apparently.

TJ doesn’t want to play King at the 5. TJ thinks when he plays Osun 20 minutes he gets a great, high energy, and aggressive 20 minutes. Maybe they figure playing him more means he’s playing more minutes tired, worried about fouling, etc.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Really nice to see Jaz back in the lineup, by March he should be rolling again. It gives us alot more depth also.

Tre King had himself a really nice game also, would be nice to see TJ give him more minutes when he's having a good shooting night. He might help in those situations where we go stagnant on offense.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
You again fail to address my points. Was Osun visibly tired at the 16:30 mark? Do you agree with arbitrarily taking a player out at a predetermined time or whistle, as has happened in most games? Do you think that, if you want a player to be able to play 30 minutes, you have to teach that player to play through some adversity and stretch those minutes over time?

This isn't a freshman, but 5th year guy who averaged 30+ minutes the last two seasons. He also plays the least demanding position in this offense/defense. Can't wait for your response.
I don't think there's a non-demanding role on this defense. Few games back Osun said he finally feels like he's ready for the grind of Big12. I trust this staff to manage mins for March and balance guys, roles for peak effectiveness more than you.

Now if we're talking let's get Ward or King more consistent mins instead of Rob in 2nd half when a lead is slipping. I hear you, but again defer to this staff. We're not in practices.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

That is only REMOTELY true if you expect Jones to be a big time scorer.

Jones has taken 48 shots in 10 Big12 games and he plays 17mpg. Jones is out there to play physical basketball, defend the paint, set picks and rebound. He has had VERY FEW games this season where he hasn't done a solid job in those areas. Jones' strengths compliment Osun's weaknesses.

Now that we have Osunniyi, Jones, T. King, Watson, Ward and Kunc all healthy it will be interesting to see how TJ spreads the minutes. It appears that Ward & Watson will probably be the odd guys out. Against KU, the Osun/Jones tandem still played 40 minutes. But we played King/Kunc 27 minutes, so the guys who lost minutes were our 4 guards. But that is probably a good thing as they played around 33minutes instead of 37minutes. Fewer minutes for the 4 guards might keep their legs fresh for the stretch run.