*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Not at all.

CFers ripped on multiple players last season despite them selling out night after night to get some things that aren't that common at ISU. They didn't want major contributors to play, someone called Conditt a POS in an away win, et al.

This year (so far) it's just one player in what's right now a really good basketball season.
Thanks for clarifying. Looking back to last year, those complaints were incredibly unwarranted. Yes, we looked awful more than once, but we were also coming off a 2-20 season and picked for the cellar even before we lost Xavier Foster and yet put together numerous shocking wins (road dogs!). I often wondered why we couldn't take the bad with the good

To be clear, I'm not complaining about George. I love GC and his love of and commitment to Iowa state. I was defending Bob and factually pointed out that their production is about equal while the expectations for the two differed vastly.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for clarifying. Looking back to last year, those complaints were incredibly unwarranted. Yes, we looked awful more than once, but we were also coming off a 2-20 season and picked for the cellar even before we lost Xavier Foster and yet put together numerous shocking wins (road dogs!). I often wondered why we couldn't take the bad with the good

To be clear, I'm not complaining about George. I love GC and his love of and commitment to Iowa state. I was defending Bob and factually pointed out that their production is about equal while the expectations for the two differed vastly.

It's been two teams with real physical limitations but play their absolute asses off even if it's not going well. I'd even say they're still about the most physically limited team in the B12, like there's no one that can just go find a bucket or dictate something to draw fouls etc.

They got ranked highly after early season success last season and a few CFers seemed to fixate on the idea that a team should just 'do' that for 2-3 more months when that's just not how things work.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Jones is playing because he is the best backup center we have. He is not great but he plays hard and that’s all we can ask.

Yeah, but his baskets today came on transition plays instead of from set plays in the post, and for some fans that's a big issue, so there's that.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
It's been two teams with real physical limitations but play their absolute asses off even if it's not going well. I'd even say they're still about the most physically limited team in the B12, like there's no one that can just go find a bucket or dictate something to draw fouls etc.

They got ranked highly after early season success last season and a few CFers seemed to fixate on the idea that a team should just 'do' that for 2-3 more months when that's just not how things work.
Couldn't agree more

Reactions: madguy30

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
It’s comical the people that think King and Osun can play the way they do for 30
Minutes a game. They both picked up 2 fouls in a 2 minute span today. Which is ok, but it means they can only play about 20-25 minutes max.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Great win but what are the usuals ******** about today (I don't feel like reading the entire thread).

• Funny
Reactions: NENick

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why is this relevant? How much did King play as the 5? I’ll answer for you - 0.

King isn’t going to play the 5. TJ played Osun 23 mins and he had 4 fouls.

It's year two of TJ ball and that means ISU is going positionless.

King averages basically 3 fouls in 17 minutes where is playing but there's constant calls for him to just jump into the 5 spot and...foul out? Get tired?

Osun is averaging 2.5 fouls in less than 20 minutes as well.

I wonder if the staff looks at stuff like this and all sorts of things and makes personnel decisions from it.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Were you this critical when our starting center shot 43% in his senior and 44% for his career? Jones is not great, that’s why he is a backup center, but he is not terrible as you think he is.

Actually yes he is.

Look at the efficiency chart here. Jones is the worst player in the Big 12 and it's not particularly close.

The reason why Jones has a decent shooting is he built it up against the weak teams on the schedule. Against Big 12 competition Jones is 20/56, for a paltry 36%. That's ******* terrible, no way to sugar coat that. Also consider many of those makes are from excellent entry passes that led to extremely easy buckets. The two he had today? An easy layup and a dunk from excellent entries.

I can't tell if the Jones defenders are blind, dumb, contrarians by nature, or family/friends. There is absolutely nothing to remotely suggests Jones is worthy of 15-20 a game.

It's almost like you Jones defenders are some kind of cult. Blindly the drinking Kool aid.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Actually yes he is.

Look at the efficiency chart here. Jones is the worst player in the Big 12 and it's not particularly close.

The reason why Jones has a decent shooting is he built it up against the weak teams on the schedule. Against Big 12 competition Jones is 20/56, for a paltry 36%. That's ******* terrible, no way to sugar coat that. Also consider many of those makes are from excellent entry passes that led to extremely easy buckets. The two he had today? An easy layup and a dunk from excellent entries.

I can't tell if the Jones defenders are blind, dumb, contrarians by nature, or family/friends. There is absolutely nothing to remotely suggests Jones is worthy of 15-20 a game.

It's almost like you Jones defenders are some kind of cult. Blindly the drinking Kool aid.

It might be time to pour yourself a cold one and give it a rest. I plan to re-watch the game myself with a stiff one. Watching ISU beat KU never gets old.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Actually yes he is.

Then email TJ with your suggestions and let us all know what you get back.

Maybe tell him to get Osun to stop getting 4 fouls in 23 minutes, or King averaging 3 in 17 minutes, or Kunc getting 4 in 11 minutes.

There's a difference between 'yeah, he struggles with this that and the other' and moving on but fixating on it after every game including when ISU throttles KU means you just have an agenda and can't help yourself. It's really ****ing weird.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Actually yes he is.

Every big man gets easy buckets off good passes including Osun. Also, most players’ shooting percentage goes down in conference play. He is who he is, a backup center. If we have a better backup center than Jones, he will take Jones’ minutes.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Then email TJ with your suggestions and let us all know what you get back.

Maybe tell him to get Osun to stop getting 4 fouls in 23 minutes, or King averaging 3 in 17 minutes, or Kunc getting 4 in 11 minutes.

There's a difference between 'yeah, he struggles with this that and the other' and moving on but fixating on it after every game including when ISU throttles KU means you just have an agenda and can't help yourself. It's really ****ing weird.
It's really not about any player or team.

Its about @ZRF demonstrating his superior basketball intellect and he has hitched that wagon to hammering BRE this year.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Actually yes he is.

This not why you posted this, but Tyrese Hunter being as low as he is in the D axis is surprising.