*** Official #5 Kansas State vs #12 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
You tell me KSU shoots 9-16 from deep and over 50% overall with even free throw attempts I would have bet you a mortgage payment we don’t win that game.
Totally agree! Even Tang commented post game they couldn't rebound. Allowed too many second chance points.

Honestly, I thought K-State was overrated coming into this game. They're not. That offense is legit. Defensively they struggled. BUT... they are capable of mowing teams over in March.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
lol, interesting comparison. Tinsley was just another level - I remember watching the exhibition game the first time he played in Hilton (at least I think it was) and he threw a no-look pass that hit the post player square in the face and they never saw it coming.

But Lipsey, especially on his drives, does have the Tinsley ability to get from point A to point B much quicker than you think they can.

I'd put it this way - he's got the smoothness of Tinsley, but not the street. lol

Jamaal wasn't a good shooter his first year either - 24% and a make every other game. He was much better his second year
I guess different people perceive a same event differently. My memory of Tinsley is he beat his man with fancy moves and drives but missed shot at the rim. A perfect example is his last shot against Hampton. I was wowed with his dribbling and moves but frustrated with the end product. Maybe he only did his best when he needed to, but his FG percentage was way too low for a player who could drive to the rim whenever he wanted.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I do find it interesting King only played 12 minutes and Watson played 18. Wonder if they felt Watson just matched up better defensively.
Purely matchup based don't you think. Watson is able to switch on the perimeter and match up. He's also "capable" of making the corner three. Helps stretch K-State to allow Holmes/Lipsey to play P&R with Osun.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Totally agree! Even Tang commented post game they couldn't rebound. Allowed too many second chance points.

Honestly, I thought K-State was overrated coming into this game. They're not. That offense is legit. Defensively they struggled. BUT... they are capable of mowing teams over in March.
Agree. They seem like exactly the kind of team that can get hot and go on a run. They’ve got a lot of weapons.

Reactions: CyNews

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I guess different people perceive a same event differently. My memory of Tinsley is he beat his man with fancy moves and drives but missed shot at the rim. A perfect example is his last shot against Hampton. I was wowed with his dribbling and moves but frustrated with the end product. Maybe he only did his best when he needed to, but his FG percentage was way too low for a player who could drive to the rim whenever he wanted.
Tinsley’s nickname at Rucker Park was the “abuser” for a reason.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Agree. They seem like exactly the kind of team that can get hot and go on a run. They’ve got a lot of weapons.
They actually give me vibes of Hoiberg's teams. Offensively minded. Athletic at all 5 spots. Present miss matches and can hit the three.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
What was the call in the 2nd half when officials stopped the game? Came back after TO and ISU had the ball. Was thinking a T on Tang, but came back and announcers said nada.
Folks in my section thought a bench warning on Tang and his staff but, nothing was ever announced inside Hilton

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Also, what was the very long delay with 10 seconds left? The refs took forever, then put 0.4 seconds back on the clock. That couldn't have all been clock review, could it??

They explained themselves to the coaches and ESPN but never announced anything to everyone in Hilton.
I think it was all about the clock but, it took forever

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
They actually give me vibes of Hoiberg's teams. Offensively minded. Athletic at all 5 spots. Present miss matches and can hit the three.

For some reason they continued to run the pick and roll with the big that couldnt shoot or handle, instead of running the pick and roll with Mashood. Allowed us to trap w/ big up high.

Reactions: Kinch

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

looking at the stats, my recollection was definitely wrong. Lipsey is shooting a tremendous (for a guard) 57% on 2pt shots. Tinsley shot 40% on 2pt shots over both years.

So, yeah, you're right

Reactions: BoxsterCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The way he kept ######## to the refs all night, thought maybe he said the wrong thing and got a T. thanks

He deserved one for the 2nd coaches box warning, bit in a weird way I'm ok that it didn't happen beat them fair and square with no late game T to influence the ending.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
looking at the stats, my recollection was definitely wrong. Lipsey is shooting a tremendous (for a guard) 57% on 2pt shots. Tinsley shot 40% on 2pt shots over both years.

So, yeah, you're right
I think Tinsley could had been even better if he was taking things seriously 100% of the time. Maybe he did cared 100% of the time but it appeared he was only playing at 50% capacity at times.

• Agree
Reactions: twincyties

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Yeah, if other teams start sagging off of him like KState did to close out, that can mess with a player that isn’t confident in their shot.
They will start giving him the Ben Simmons treatment. And eventually Ben got scared to shoot and became an offensive liability. Of course not saying Tamin is liability because we all know that’s not true. If he could shoot even as well as Jaren he could be elite in a year or 2.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
If I am a person on the NCAA selection committee and deciding the 1, 2 or 3 seeds, for Iowa State from here on out and as long as the Clones can protect our home court, the two games I am most interested in is at Texas and Baylor. It would be huge if we can get at least one of those and monumental if we get both.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

So, yeah, you're right

Tinsley had to be high volume at times (or wanted to be). Plus it was basically a free for all in those days on the perimeter and in the paint.