*** Official #5 Kansas State vs #12 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL

Also looks like it is available on demand on the ESPN app

Thanks for sharing this link.

While I do watch on demand games on the ESPN App, this guy edits out all the commercials, and HD too. And he has pretty much every game.

Great resource for any college hoops fan.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Just a bad switch by us.
Understandable, as it involved two freshmen, Watson and Lipsey. Watson looked at the cutter before they triggered the play but he got it wrong - Lipsey couldn’t have stopped that monster even if he did get under! Nice simple play!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Understandable, as it involved two freshmen, Watson and Lipsey. Watson looked at the cutter before they triggered the play but he got it wrong - Lipsey couldn’t have stopped that monster even if he did get under! Nice simple play!

Watson and Gabe.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I have a feeling that “sweet inbounds play” the Cats ran late in the game won’t work again and they wasted it in a loss. That was a sweet play though.
Yes! You would hope that's a quick fix. You can't be guarding a guy standing right under the basket on an inbounds and then think you can switch. Freshman mistake I hope.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yes! You would hope that's a quick fix. You can't be guarding a guy standing right under the basket on an inbounds and then think you can switch. Freshman mistake I hope.
They both went with Nowell assuming that's who the play was for, which is a logical thing to do. Sure Watson should have stayed at home on Johnson, but it was just a good play design at the right time.

Also Johnson's a big strong dude - all it really took was Watson hedging the wrong way for him to get position

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Maybe already mentioned in this thread or others, I just read the CBS Sports game recap. It states: "The win marks Iowa State's first victory over a top-five opponent since the 2015-16 season." Apparently everyone has forgotten ISU knocked off #1 UNC a couple of months ago. :)

It's possible the writer (David Cobb) was focusing on Big 12 only, in which case it'd be correct, if memory serves.

Admittedly, Carolina being #1 DOES seem like a distant memory, at this point.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
So disrespectful. Only 6 Big XII teams in the top 25. :jimlad:
Only 6 Big 12 teams in the top 16. It is not a stretch for all 6 of those teams to make the Sweet 16, even if they seed a bit lower due to playing each other twice in conference. All 6 will be a tough out for any opponent regardless of seed.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Maybe already mentioned in this thread or others, I just read the CBS Sports game recap. It states: "The win marks Iowa State's first victory over a top-five opponent since the 2015-16 season." Apparently everyone has forgotten ISU knocked off #1 UNC a couple of months ago. :)

It's possible the writer (David Cobb) was focusing on Big 12 only, in which case it'd be correct, if memory serves.

I guess beating #3 Kansas in Lawrence Feb. of 2017 doesn't count?

seadog

Oct 11, 2008
Purely matchup based don't you think. Watson is able to switch on the perimeter and match up. He's also "capable" of making the corner three. Helps stretch K-State to allow Holmes/Lipsey to play P&R with Osun.
King comes in for Lipsey when Holmes players point, Watson subs for Grill

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess beating #3 Kansas in Lawrence Feb. of 2017 doesn't count?

Good point! ... thought there was at least one I missed (wouldn't have recalled specific ranking without further research)

So basically it's a "fail" for CBS writer (and/or if there's actually a fact-checker).

And KU was #5 when ISU throttled them in January 2019 in Ames.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
They actually give me vibes of Hoiberg's teams. Offensively minded. Athletic at all 5 spots. Present miss matches and can hit the three.
I thought the same thing watching..That looked like Hoiball to me. Rebounding even stunk

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
That was an awesome environment at Hilton. Probably the loudest crowd I've ever been a part of. Couldn't hear myself think.

Agree. I was there and forgot all about it. Good thing madguy said something.

And I don't know how because you are correct it was right up there in decibels.

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
That's why all pro teams and most college teams use a zone or match-up zone on under the basket out of bounce plays. Hoiberg coached teams always ate up teams that played man out of bounce.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Do they pull that info or rely on a sports information person?