*** Official #22 Texas VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Discussion in 'Football' started by CycloneRulzzz, Nov 16, 2019.

1. khardbored

khardbored Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Middle of the Midwest
    Ratings:
    +4,015 / 90 / -2
    Part of the reason why Texas can't get back to their once top position is because they have this entitlement mindset. They "should be better" than ISU without taking in to account the fact that they ALSO need to train hard, work on fundamentals, etc. You can't just beat teams like us on talent alone anymore!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Ratings:
    +519 / 8 / -1
    #1422 c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    It was actually just the opposite (but had the same effect). He said that Texas had blocked something like 4 kicks this year and all game long they had been trying to jump the snap count. So when the holder called for the ball, he didn't snap it. Texas jumped on the call and then he snapped it once they had jumped offside. Very heads up play by him and also by our line for not flinching on the hard count. Makes me think that it was more of a team effort than they are letting on.

Edit: here is the quote and article link.

“It seemed like throughout the game they were trying to time it out,” Wirtel said, “and on that one, I waited just a little smidge after, and I saw that color come in and I snapped it when he broke the line of scrimmage."

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/20191116/hines-column-countrys-best-long-snapper-walk-on-kicker-and-walk-off-victory

Edit 2: another quote from Randy Pete.

Texas (6-4, 4-3 Big 12 Conference) had been anticipating snap rhythm throughout the game Iowa State (6-4, 4-3) led 20-7 with 12:09 left in the third quarter. That’s how the Longhorns had been able to block four kicks this season, and Wirtel noticed that it was happening again.

“I noticed throughout the game that they were timing our cadence,” Wirtel said. “We gave our cadence, and in my peripheral vision at the time, I saw No. 43 jump. I snapped it at the time. He jumped offside, and I saw our guys engage with him. They were keying on our cadence throughout the game.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2019/11/16/iowa-state-football-last-second-field-goal-texas-offside-tom-herman-matt-campbell/4205032002/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. khardbored

khardbored Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Middle of the Midwest
    Ratings:
    +4,015 / 90 / -2
    Steve Wirtel is so consistent, I can't recall him ever making a mistake. I would imagine he's got a good shot at a long NFL career. (Longsnappers being one of those positions where you can quietly play for 15+ years.)

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. cdface

cdface Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Male
    Radiology
    Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
    Ratings:
    +3,503 / 113 / -3
    watched the more extended highlights on the Big12 site and its very easy to see all the missed holds they didn't call against Texas. would've probably taken away at least one, if not two, of those longer Texas TD drives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WalkingCY

WalkingCY Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas City
    Ratings:
    +1,385 / 47 / -0
    Just checked in to say **** Texa$.

Sucks to suck.

6. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Ratings:
    +18,570 / 843 / -12
    I found it weird that the stadium usher guy in our section was cheering for Texas. He was actively cheering and flashing the Horns sign all game. Thought is was weird.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CycloneVet

CycloneVet Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Male
    Veterinariian
    Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +4,165 / 207 / -0
    What is interesting is UT has all this entitlement but if you look at their history and compare it to say Alabama it’s not that great lots of 8-4, 9-3 6-5 records over the last 50 years. Good but not great program and certainly not a trophy case of national title trophies

8. CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
    Male
    Veterinariian
    Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +4,165 / 207 / -0
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard is the old adage. Thing is we are really starting to see both happen at ISU. I can’t get over the look of our 2 deep DLine. Toughest positions to recruit in all of college football? Well CMC threw that thought right into the trash. We have dudes there and a lot of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
    Male
    Veterinariian
    Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +4,165 / 207 / -0
    They weren’t of the questionable variety either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. srjclone

srjclone Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Downtown Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +10,253 / 249 / -0
    Read an Athletic article from a UT writer and in the write up he had the line
    "It’s easy to forget the dreadful situation that Herman walked into nearly three years ago, and how far the program had to come."
    He's getting roasted in the comments for that one. Lots of Texas fans pointing at Baylor and realizing their constant mediocrity even with the resources and talent they continue to bring in.

11. Cyched

Cyched Minister of Culture
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

May 8, 2009
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +20,650 / 328 / -0
    Also...shoutout to the Longhorn band for leaving through the proper gate.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Winner Winner x 4
  12. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +4,677 / 255 / -1
    I did rewatch the condensed replay on the Big 12 website this morning and there were plenty of mistakes that need to be cleaned up, but Texas got away with way more PI and holding than I saw live, and that is saying something.

Manning has done a great job this year, but man, he needs to stop getting cute on 3rd and short and 4th and short. Just put in the 3 TEs and run the freaking ball. The fake punt was not executed well, but the TE got absolutely mugged on that play, so that didn't help. My problem is the play before, instead of running right at TX they tried some goofy play that lost 3 yards, when they had less than one to get the first down. That is about the 8th time that Manning has done that this year. Most of those have occurred at the opponents 35-40, and killed scoring drives. He just need to use the big bodies and trust his running back.

I have to give a lot of credit to the TX WRs. They dropped a few passes, but they also made 3 amazing catches to keep drives alive or score.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,305 / 39 / -0
    I’ve felt this way ever since they joined the conference. I never understood the greatness that was supposed to be Texas. Admittedly I never paid any attention to whatever conference they were in beforehand, but I don’t remember ever hearing anything about them.... ever.

Sure they had Vince Young once, but that doesn’t make you a perennial national title contender. I don’t ever remember watching them in any important bowl game. They were never on my national radar of importance. They might as well have been North Carolina for football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    Ratings:
    +24,908 / 522 / -3
    They are "great" in Texas (by far the biggest fan base of any of the Texas schools), and they spend a lot of money to make people *think* they are great. But yeah, they're not really as great as they think they are.

15. CloneLawman

CloneLawman Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Male
    T1000 Liquid Metal Fanatic
    Location available to all except jeresib
    Ratings:
    +9,848 / 190 / -2
    They were told that Tom Herman would grope anyone who left by the wrong gate.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. beentherebefore

beentherebefore Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Ratings:
    +851 / 48 / -0
    Depends upon when history begins for you. Texas was a top program for years in the SWC. Lots of Cotton Bowl victories. Earl Campbell was one of the greatest running backs ever. Ricky Williams (yes, he had a number of personal issues in the NFL) ran for even more yards. I can see why their fans want to the team to "be back."

• Agree Agree x 1