*** Official #22 Texas VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
watching replay too......offensive holding call in third quarter was sooooo convenient for Texas. You could call that every freaking play. Always hated the rule and the consequences and the subjectivity of it....I don't know the answer, but to let that subjective call sway games so much really sucks, unless you win.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I love this coaching staff but the clock management at the end of the first half nearly cost us the game.

Why on earth did we call 2 timeouts (the last one with 55 seconds left heading into a 3rd down call) to conserve time?? We could have run it down to 30 seconds, kicked the FG, and then kicked to Texas with 20 seconds or less. Instead, we gave them the ball with 50, went into prevent defense, and gave up a TD.

It’s probably the worst clock management mistake that I can remember from Campbell. Thank god we won because that loss would have stung.

Outside of that, great effort from the defense. Texas couldn’t run the ball AT ALL. Offensively, I love the run-pass balance. I wish we took a few more shots down the field with Texas’ garbage secondary.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I love this coaching staff but the clock management at the end of the first half nearly cost us the game.

Why on earth did we call 2 timeouts (the last one with 55 seconds left heading into a 3rd down call) to conserve time?? We could have run it down to 30 seconds, kicked the FG, and then kicked to Texas with 20 seconds or less. Instead, we gave them the ball with 50, went into prevent defense, and gave up a TD.

It’s probably the worst clock management mistake that I can remember from Campbell. Thank god we won because that loss would have stung.

Outside of that, great effort from the defense. Texas couldn’t run the ball AT ALL. Offensively, I love the run-pass balance. I wish we took a few more shots down the field with Texas’ garbage secondary.

Yeah. At the time, after second down when Breece’s helmet came off, they took a time out, which I felt was strange with how much time was left and where we were on the field, but assumed they did it to get Breece back in the game because he would have had to miss a play since his helmet game off. But then they ran a play that didn’t involve Breece at all on third down. Really strange set of events there.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
I was probably a little over the top complaining to the people around me about what the heck were we doing calling timeouts twice instead of running the clock down and then calling timeouts. I still think Campbell is ISU’s GOAT football coach but not sure time mgt is a strength

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
My two concerns after the game. First, WAY to many drives stalled at the 30. Going to have to rewatch to see if we changed tendencies at that point. Second, the defense disappearing for sections of the game. End of first half is on the coaches for going into the prevent winning defense and allowing Texas to score in 47 seconds. The disappearance in the fourth quarter when Texas sliced and diced is just puzzling. Our offense had been on the field much of the time so they could have been “tired.”

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
My two concerns after the game. First, WAY to many drives stalled at the 30. Going to have to rewatch to see if we changed tendencies at that point. Second, the defense disappearing for sections of the game. End of first half is on the coaches for going into the prevent winning defense and allowing Texas to score in 47 seconds. The disappearance in the fourth quarter when Texas sliced and diced is just puzzling. Our offense had been on the field much of the time so they could have been “tired.”
What happened to Assalley's shoulder after kick. TV shows his shoulder in pain. Surprising these type injuries don't happen more!

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

Third down defense and drive stalls deep in plus territory have been brutal. These are very targeted problems and all the more amazing because the rest of the time the offense and defense have been lights out. Would love some expert opinion on why these two facets have been such a struggle. After failing to score twice when we were up 20-7, I thought for sure we were done. Still can't believe ISU pulled it out.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
My two concerns after the game. First, WAY to many drives stalled at the 30. Going to have to rewatch to see if we changed tendencies at that point. Second, the defense disappearing for sections of the game.....

Other than the two 30 yard pass plays, I thought our defense was solid. Glad to see Eisworth out there for the entire game.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

I think the thought was probably that they wanted to score a touchdown. It was a big play in the sense that if we had converted it then scored a TD, it really would have dispirited Texas. Matt Campbell probably also didn't think the defense that had dominated all half would give up a drive like that. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm guessing that was the thought progression.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Third down defense and drive stalls deep in plus territory have been brutal. These are very targeted problems and all the more amazing because the rest of the time the offense and defense have been lights out. Would love some expert opinion on why these two facets have been such a struggle. After failing to score twice when we were up 20-7, I thought for sure we were done. Still can't believe ISU pulled it out.

Texas with a 2nd and 35 and then the next play easily converting a 3rd and 5 was very disheartening.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron