***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
We have lots of native plants...or weeds as some people call them. But remember, a weed is just a plant growing where a human doesn't want it to grow! We have had a high bumblee and honeybee population for about ten years now.
We have a large brush pile for over-wintering birds to shelter in, and find bugs to eat. We burn that after the weather warms up and the birds have moved out. In addition to the birds that are here all winter, we have a lot of migratory birds that return every year. Seeing all our birds and bees makes me much happier than a closely trimmed lawn. It's why we moved to an acreage. To each his/her own, I suppose.

And yeah, yeah, I know. I tried to think of a better way to word that but couldn't. So have at it with the TWSS jokes!
Cy thanks you for helping out.

1716841029691.png

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
We have lots of native plants...or weeds as some people call them. But remember, a weed is just a plant growing where a human doesn't want it to grow! We have had a high bumblee and honeybee population for about ten years now.
We have a large brush pile for over-wintering birds to shelter in, and find bugs to eat. We burn that after the weather warms up and the birds have moved out. In addition to the birds that are here all winter, we have a lot of migratory birds that return every year. Seeing all our birds and bees makes me much happier than a closely trimmed lawn. It's why we moved to an acreage. To each his/her own, I suppose.

And yeah, yeah, I know. I tried to think of a better way to word that but couldn't. So have at it with the TWSS jokes!
Haven't tried using that one on the wife yet--yea, I don't like running the string trimmer either :):):)

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Iowa Tornado Count is 79 for 2024. Annual average is about 50.

Still could be a couple from Tuesday/Friday that could be added to the tally.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
We have several flower beds that more than replace any dandelions or clover that I don't appreciate in my lawn. Directly across the road is a 4 or 5 acre patch of wildflowers still enrolled in the "pollinator project". Can't say I've noticed more or less bees over time before or after it was planted. I try to be "bee conscious" with any pesticide practices.
Dandelions are an early flowering plant that absolutely saves the bees in early springtime. The dandelion pollen provides the energy/carbs the bees need to survive. Here's a late April photo. The orange pollen pollen is a key factor in hive health.

20200419_122319.jpg

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I can mow 3 acres in a little over an hour. Others must have way more trimming than I do.
I have over 200 trees (with a little over half in windbreaks), 5 buildings, raised flower beds, two vegie gardens and areas divided by driveways which severely limit the amount of straight line mowing I can do. Using a 54" deck as anything larger would limit some of the areas I could mow and increase trimming. I maybe could reduce some time with a zero turn, but like using the tractor for the road ditches, pulling the trailer sprayer, and yard wagon. Recommended mowing speed to get a good cut is between 3 1/2 to 4 mph and you would have to approach 6 mph with a 60" deck and few obstacles to get 3 acres in an hour

Last edited:

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
91 tornadoes confirmed in Iowa this year. If you count the one over the Mississippi River in the Quad Cities. This is a preliminary count that could fluctuate.

Last time we saw more was 2021... we picked up more than half of the 114 in December alone that year.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Did Iowa become a state in 1985?

No.......in the last 38 years of "RECORD KEEPING" this is probably the most since 1986. And even that can be questioned because of the advancement of technology and the glorifying of storm chasing along with the paranoia that comes with watching a bunch of wing nuts constantly screaming "INSANE"!!! Add to that every local channel's wanting those ratings for "keeping you safe"...............this record will not stand very long. Because it won't be long when the sirens will go off when a cloud drifts over on a otherwise sunny day.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Did Iowa become a state in 1985?

No.......in the last 38 years of "RECORD KEEPING" this is probably the most since 1986. And even that can be questioned because of the advancement of technology and the glorifying of storm chasing along with the paranoia that comes with watching a bunch of wing nuts constantly screaming "INSANE"!!! Add to that every local channel's wanting those ratings for "keeping you safe"...............this record will not stand very long. Because it won't be long when the sirens will go off when a cloud drifts over on a otherwise sunny day.
Your notion doesn't really hold up when the next highest incidence of warnings was in 2008, which is 16 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Any concerns with rain/storms during the day in the Riverside area tomorrow? I don’t have any, but a couple of the guys I’m golfing with (Blue Top Ridge) are being dramatic, IMO.

I think if it does rain in the eastern part of the state tomorrow, it won’t be until the evening hours. The only source I can find that seems to put a decent chance of rain down for earlier in the day is Accuweather, and I haven’t trusted that site in years.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Any concerns with rain/storms during the day in the Riverside area tomorrow? I don’t have any, but a couple of the guys I’m golfing with (Blue Top Ridge) are being dramatic, IMO.

I think if it does rain in the eastern part of the state tomorrow, it won’t be until the evening hours. The only source I can find that seems to put a decent chance of rain down for earlier in the day is Accuweather, and I haven’t trusted that site in years.
Nothing I would cancel plans over. May have some impact but pops and QPF are low.

Reactions: enisthemenace

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

That's tough. I'll golf in some pretty crappy weather, but there's one guy in my group that always wants to cancel if it is slightly cold or slightly wet.

Reactions: enisthemenace