***Official 2024 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Thread***

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
It’s hard to imagine a scenario where you’d rather lose a close game in the Sweet Sixteen rather than make it to the Elite Eight and get beaten badly. We might have seen that unimaginable line crossed tonight.

I mean…it’s just embarrassing. No, not just embarrassing, it’s a denutting on a national scale.

Reactions: shadow and BigCyFan

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It’s hard to imagine a scenario where you’d rather lose a close game in the Sweet Sixteen rather than make it to the Elite Eight and get beaten badly. We might have seen that unimaginable line crossed tonight.

Eh. I think id still take the E8. Even if we got blown out like this, I think everyone nationally would look at it and go "well yeah, they ran into the buzzsaw that is UConn", not "Iowa State must be terrible"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Eh. I think id still take the E8. Even if we got blown out like this, I think everyone nationally would look at it and go "well yeah, they ran into the buzzsaw that is UConn", not "Iowa State must be terrible"

I remember when OU got to the final four in 2016 and got just humiliated.

I think getting there is still a great deal even if it means getting rolled.

This is just confirmation that it's UConn and everyone else.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Hurley is an asshat. He literally bitched they had to play the early game on Thursday in Boston, a mere 75 miles from home. What a tool.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ and BigCyFan

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Illinois with the first live streaming of a castration on national TV

• Haha
Reactions: CYDJ

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think it is still better to advance to the Elite 8 and get blown out rather than lose a close one in the Sweet 16.

01. Beating the B1G Tournament Champion Illini is better than losing to them.
02. Only the 2nd Elite 8 (not counting 1944) would be breaking through a program wall.
03. Make the Team Super Hungry to make the Final Four in 2025!

So, while it would have sucked to get blown out today, I think making it to the Elite 8 would have been worth it.

Just my onion.

Let's Go State!

NYCYFan

Mar 18, 2024
If UConn wins the championship, they should be talked about among the greatest teams of all time. I don't see one weakness.

This might sound weird but it makes me feel a little better about Iowa State losing knowing that they would have likely been trounced by UConn anyway. OF course I would have rather them had their shot against UConn but still, it was inevitable spanking awaiting them.