***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
There are no favorable matchups for Amaya and his defense has singlehandledly cost us 3-4 games in this run. Fine with DFA'ing Gomes but we should be done with Amaya, too. He's horrible.
He's 25 and got screwed out of Minor League development by freak injuries.

He's absolutely worth staying with long term.

Cyforce

Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
There are no favorable matchups for Amaya and his defense has singlehandledly cost us 3-4 games in this run. Fine with DFA'ing Gomes but we should be done with Amaya, too. He's horrible.
Amaya is pre arbitration through 2026. Its one thing to be upset but completely another to be stupid about it.

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
He's fine as a once a week rest guy but he can't hit, he can't catch, and he can't throw anyone out. He's not a serious long-term option for anything other than spot starts.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I don't believe Nido is the last move at catcher this year by any means. He was picked up off the scrap heap (so he's just owed a pro-rate of the minimum) and the Cubs just happen to have a series with the Mets coming up. Probably not a coincidence.

• Agree

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So you don't see value in a righty power hitter off the bench that crushes lefties. What's the point of even having a conversation with you?
Assume you are talking about Wisdom? Are we still obsessed with the 1 month or so out of the season he actually gets hot and puts together a streak of homers then is mostly a strikeout machine the rest of the season. He was lightning in a bottle on a bad team in 2021 much like Frank the Tank was, since then when he posted a WAR of 2.3 he's been 0.9 0.3 and a -0.1 so far this season. Barely hits over .200 and is subpar defensively. Yeah at age 32 I'm perfectly fine moving on from him especially since we haven't won anything with him on the roster either it's not like he's been a key contributor. Last year he basically had a hot April where he hit 10 of his 23 homers then was mostly crap May-July (monthly batting averages of .162 .083 and .194 with 8 HR sprinkled in) then did have a decent batting average in the last 2+ months in limited playing time. 2022 much of the same, he had a fairly good May then tailed off starting July 1.

Would rather give a bat like Canario or Davis who are both 8 years younger a chance who are hitting for power from the right side in Iowa. We struggle just stringing together hits and moving runners on base on top of it so I don't even care as much as the power right now as just guys that can get on base. The Mastrobouni call up over Luis Vazquez was frustrating too. Mastrobouni has had plenty of chances in Chicago already, it's time to see what Vazquez can do even if its just off the bench. He can spell Swanson and Nico to give a day off and wouldn't mind seeing how he does at 3B some too.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Assume you are talking about Wisdom? Are we still obsessed with the 1 month or so out of the season he actually gets hot and puts together a streak of homers then is mostly a strikeout machine the rest of the season. He was lightning in a bottle on a bad team in 2021 much like Frank the Tank was, since then when he posted a WAR of 2.3 he's been 0.9 0.3 and a -0.1 so far this season. Barely hits over .200 and is subpar defensively. Yeah at age 32 I'm perfectly fine moving on from him especially since we haven't won anything with him on the roster either it's not like he's been a key contributor. Last year he basically had a hot April where he hit 10 of his 23 homers then was mostly crap May-July (monthly batting averages of .162 .083 and .194 with 8 HR sprinkled in) then did have a decent batting average in the last 2+ months in limited playing time. 2022 much of the same, he had a fairly good May then tailed off starting July 1.

Would rather give a bat like Canario or Davis who are both 8 years younger a chance who are hitting for power from the right side in Iowa. We struggle just stringing together hits and moving runners on base on top of it so I don't even care as much as the power right now as just guys that can get on base. The Mastrobouni call up over Luis Vazquez was frustrating too. Mastrobouni has had plenty of chances in Chicago already, it's time to see what Vazquez can do even if its just off the bench. He can spell Swanson and Nico to give a day off and wouldn't mind seeing how he does at 3B some too.
You ever thought about working in a baseball front office?

Cyforce

Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Different positions. I'd rather see Wisdom at 3rd or first on occasion than Madrigal and Mastrobuoni. Canario or Davis need 2 straight weeks playing everyday with the big club at a corner spot. This would of been the perfect opportunity. But we got Mastrobuoni recalled instead.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
He's fine as a once a week rest guy but he can't hit, he can't catch, and he can't throw anyone out. He's not a serious long-term option for anything other than spot starts.

Wasn't he one of our big time prospects at some point? We are suppose to have this great farm system and literally none of these guys have developed into difference makers and that's going back to Happ and Hoerner.

• Agree

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Different positions. I'd rather see Wisdom at 3rd or first on occasion than Madrigal and Mastrobuoni. Canario or Davis need 2 straight weeks playing everyday with the big club at a corner spot. This would of been the perfect opportunity. But we got Mastrobuoni recalled instead.
Its pretty obvious it's either PCA or Canario/ Davis in Chicago. They aren't sitting Happ, Bellinger, or Suzuki anytime soon and they have to actually look like they are trying to win games.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't believe Nido is the last move at catcher this year by any means. He was picked up off the scrap heap (so he's just owed a pro-rate of the minimum) and the Cubs just happen to have a series with the Mets coming up. Probably not a coincidence.

Yeah, I mean it's not like Gomes at this point was doing anything nor do we have anyone at Iowa that would either. With Ballesteros callup to Iowa makes you wonder if they want to give him a look later this year if he adjusts well to AAA but he's just 20 years old too so that may be a stretch. May just have to play musical chairs with the backup catcher spot with Amaya as the main guy for now. Catcher is a position that likely will have to be addressed in the offseason unless someone can be had at the deadline in a reasonable trade that still has some team control beyond this season.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Wasn't he one of our big time prospects at some point? We are suppose to have this great farm system and literally none of these guys have developed into difference makers and that's going back to Happ and Hoerner.
To be completely fair, I believe he capped out as our #2 prospect prior to the 2021 trade deadline when we completely rebuilt the farm, then he needed TJS. If anything, it goes to show how ****** the farm was prior to that deadline.

All of that being said, it is a shame in 4 years no one but Brown and Wicks has proven to be worth a **** during Jed’s tenure.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
You ever thought about working in a baseball front office?
Nope, just my opinion just like everyone else here. Just frustrated lately how we broke up the core to stock up the minors and now that we have some of those guys ready for some opportunities in Chicago we have a poorly assembled roster either blocking them or guys that would not be on a major league roster for most teams that are competing for playoff spots. What direction is the front office going other than picking up cheapish pieces to fill in roster spots and hope they strike gold with a couple of them while we supposedly have one of the better farm systems in baseball yet not seeing much of that turn into results in the majors.

Reactions: NoCreativity

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Well we have Tauchman on the IL now, Bellinger capable of playing 1B and a DH spot so worse case either of those 2 can spell PCA, Happ, and Suzuki in the field and still have the DH spot if you want the bat in the lineup. It's not like Wisdom, Mastrobuoni, and Madrigal are getting regular AB either. I agree I would like to see either or both get a full 2 weeks of regular starts and see what happens but when your 2 corner OF both have no trade clauses and another top OF prospect to find time for too it's not like you can just move those 2 corner guys easily to make room for them. Gotta get creative this point to find them some time or trade them to fill a bigger need like 3B and C.

Another reason why when it is time to sell I'm perfectly fine shopping Bellinger and Tauchman as both should get you decent returns and will Bellinger cost savings too. Yes I know Tauchman has been one of the most productive guys on the roster but he's 33 and plays a position we can fill internally with a younger guy that may have a higher ceiling. He's not a key part of the roster going forward and unless you bail on Busch and make Bellinger the full time 1B he probably is not either especially with his 2 opt out clauses. I'm more worried he is going to opt in for 2025 than out at the moment. If the big contract was not there after last season, unless he catches fire down the stretch it probably won't be there this offseason either.