MLB: ***Official 2023 St. Louis Cardinals Thread ***

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm hoping they deal Edman and Dejong for some pitching and call him up sometime after the all-star break.
I’m not sure they’re looking for pitching, at least at the major league level.

I gather that right now they’re looking to make a trade of someone on the 40 man roster, just to open up a place for Walker without DFAing anyone and likely losing them.

Given they’re trying to open a roster spot, I assume that means receiving either a lower lever prospect, or “future considerations”.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'm so tired of seeing DeJong on the roster. admit the mistake and move on - stop trying to force him due to the crappy contract.
It's the Cardinal way, they are going to keep him on the roster because they are paying him, we did the same with Carp. when he should have been released.
The one thing I hate about the ownership group, they value profit over trying to win a World Series. It costs a fortune to go to Cards game, and they still act like a small market team. They are not the Dodgers and Yankees money wise, but they want to act like the Brewers when we can spend a hell of a lot more.

They are starting Walker, I am sure they are fine allowing Winn to play most of the season at AAA and see how all of this shakes out over the winter.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Alec Burleson and DeJong are the other position players on the roster.
Dejong isn’t on the roster. He’s on the IL with back issues. He hardly even played in spring training but if he was healthy he probably would be.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
OPENING DAY LINEUP:

1. Donovan 2B
2. Nootbaar LF
3. Goldschmidt 1B
4. Arenado 3B
5. Contreras C
6. O’Neill CF
7. Gorman DH
8. Walker RF
9. Edman SS
Mikolas P
At this time last year, few of us knew who Donovan and Nootbar were and now they are lead off and second bat on opening day. I guess they played themselves into the lineup.

• Agree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
That’s the best opening day lineup we’ve had in a long time. No doubt in my mind it’s too 5 in MLB. We’ll just see have to see how the pitching does.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
That’s the best opening day lineup we’ve had in a long time. No doubt in my mind it’s too 5 in MLB. We’ll just see have to see how the pitching does.

I think it’s very good. Not sure about top 5 in MLB, but in my opinion it’s probably the largest gap between the best lineup in a division and second-best. I’m not really a huge fan of what Milwaukee has done, the Cubs are aggressively mediocre, and the Reds and Pirates are the Reds and Pirates.

Reactions: Kaner04

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Who had O’Neill and Donovan hitting the first Cardinals HRs of the season?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Weird game. You don’t like to see your closer blowing a save in Game 1. Still, the offense looked good and you expect the pitching will figure it out.

Cubs fans will enjoy their evening of chirping

• Agree

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
The pitching….woof. However, Toronto is really good. Much less depressing than if that performance would have been against a Cincinnati or a Pittsburgh.

That offense though, damn. They looked great against a good starter and bullpen. If the pitching can get to the point where it’s above average, this team can do some work in October.

Man I hope Contreras mends quickly. The drop off offensively between him and Kizner is enormous.

• Agree

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It's one game out of 162, like they used to say, "every team is going to win 54 games, and lose 54 games, it's the remaining 54 games that determines the season."

I was impressed with the offense today; they kept coming back every time the pitching staff would give up the lead until the 9th. Lots of bloop hits by the Jays, you are going to have games like this during the season. Shake it off and go get the on Saturday.