MLB: ***Official 2022 STL Cardinals Season Thread***

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
In my mind, DeJong needs to get as many plate appearances as possible as long as he's hitting. Even though he struggled more in the Cubs series, his outs included three 100+ MPH exit velocities, so he was still hitting the ball hard. Historically he's been such a streaky player, so they might as well ride his hot streak. I don't think it's them playing him because of his contract, because otherwise they wouldn't have sent him down or would have brought him up sooner. It's too bad that it has to come at the expense of one of those three guys, but all three of them struggled some in July, especially Donovan and Edman.

As far as getting a bat, I feel pretty good about the player development situation right now, so I'm not sure about making big investments there. I'd be okay with an outfield bat that could fill in for a year until ideally Walker takes a spot there, but that depends on how comfortable they feel with Nootbaar and Donovan's future and whether Burleson will get a chance at the MLB level, plus how quickly they're thinking about moving Walker. (I'm hoping they'll move him to AAA this month and he might be ready by middle of next season.) That being said, Pujols and Dickerson's spots opening up next season allows for some exploration of veteran depth, at the very least.
At the expense of Edmundo Sosa too, who clearly won the SS position last year (.271 BA vs. .199 for DeJ) only to be replaced by DeJong on opening day of a new season (because?). DeJong was sent down this season because he was batting .130. Now it seems he is being given yet another chance to the starter, even though Edman has heretofore done a great job (at least as a fielder). That said, maybe the coaches know or see something I'm not seeing. The contract thing is just a theory because it seems we've seen this before. If DeJong reverts to his old form, that's good but it remains to be seen.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the outfield right now. Yepez is likely coming back and someone on the roster will have to move out or down, assuming no further injuries.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
At the expense of Edmundo Sosa too, who clearly won the SS position last year (.271 BA vs. .199 for DeJ) only to be replaced by DeJong on opening day of a new season (because?). DeJong was sent down this season because he was batting .130. Now it seems he is being given yet another chance to the starter, even though Edman has heretofore done a great job (at least as a fielder). That said, maybe the coaches know or see something I'm not seeing. The contract thing is just a theory because it seems we've seen this before. If DeJong reverts to his old form, that's good but it remains to be seen.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the outfield right now. Yepez is likely coming back and someone on the roster will have to move out or down, assuming no further injuries.
He's getting another chance because when they sent him down, he made adjustments and hit great, just like they were hoping. In 51 games in Memphis, he hit 17 home runs and had an .865 OPS and was on an even hotter stretch in the couple weeks before he was called back up. And Sosa was solid last season, but he was similarly bad to DeJong this season (.515 OPS for Sosa vs. .506 for DeJong). I'm not saying they should count on DeJong as the starter for the rest of the season or moving ahead, but I see no problem with him starting while he's hitting. It's good to get the long-term guys at bats, but there's also win-now urgency, being in the middle of a division race.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In my mind, DeJong needs to get as many plate appearances as possible as long as he's hitting. Even though he struggled more in the Cubs series, his outs included three 100+ MPH exit velocities, so he was still hitting the ball hard. Historically he's been such a streaky player, so they might as well ride his hot streak. I don't think it's them playing him because of his contract, because otherwise they wouldn't have sent him down or would have brought him up sooner. It's too bad that it has to come at the expense of one of those three guys, but all three of them struggled some in July, especially Donovan and Edman.

As far as getting a bat, I feel pretty good about the player development situation right now, so I'm not sure about making big investments there. I'd be okay with an outfield bat that could fill in for a year until ideally Walker takes a spot there, but that depends on how comfortable they feel with Nootbaar and Donovan's future and whether Burleson will get a chance at the MLB level, plus how quickly they're thinking about moving Walker. (I'm hoping they'll move him to AAA this month and he might be ready by middle of next season.) That being said, Pujols and Dickerson's spots opening up next season allows for some exploration of veteran depth, at the very least.
Comes down to who should be at the plate, Gorman and Edman or DeJong, and for me, its the first two. You are correct DeJong is a very streaky hitter, but over the past couple of seasons there has been a lot more bad than good. He was hitting under .140 when they sent him down, and last year was no prize season either.

Nootbaar is a great 4th outfielder while Donovan is the guy to keep because he can play all over the field, but neither is going to scare anyone about pitching to them. Burleson we have no clue, for some reason they do not want to bring him up, not sure why, but people are saying they think he will struggle with MLB pitching and will get less for him in a trade if they prove that.

We still need a corner "thumper" could be O'Neil or someone on the team now, or a trade this off-season, but the need is still there. and not going away any time soon.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Comes down to who should be at the plate, Gorman and Edman or DeJong, and for me, its the first two. You are correct DeJong is a very streaky hitter, but over the past couple of seasons there has been a lot more bad than good. He was hitting under .140 when they sent him down, and last year was no prize season either.

Nootbaar is a great 4th outfielder while Donovan is the guy to keep because he can play all over the field, but neither is going to scare anyone about pitching to them. Burleson we have no clue, for some reason they do not want to bring him up, not sure why, but people are saying they think he will struggle with MLB pitching and will get less for him in a trade if they prove that.

We still need a corner "thumper" could be O'Neil or someone on the team now, or a trade this off-season, but the need is still there. and not going away any time soon.
Burleson isn’t on the 40 man roster and Nootbaar has been good since getting to play everyday and Dickerson since coming off the IL

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Burleson isn’t on the 40 man roster and Nootbaar has been good since getting to play everyday and Dickerson since coming off the IL
Both Nootbaar and Dickerson have had a couple nice days, but lets not think these guys are Ruth and Gehrig here.

Nootbaar .227 average 19 RBI 5 HR and OBS of .712

Dickerson .223 average 19 RBI, 6 HR and OBS of .624, with 4 of the 6 HR coming in the past week. Granted he has been injured but also not worth the contract the Cards gave him.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Both Nootbaar and Dickerson have had a couple nice days, but lets not think these guys are Ruth and Gehrig here.

Dickerson .223 average 19 RBI, 6 HR and OBS of .624, with 4 of the 6 HR coming in the past week. Granted he has been injured but also not worth the contract the Cards gave him.
I'm of the opinion if you don't have an OPS of at least .700 you have no business being an everyday player in the show.

You've got guys in Edman, O'Neil and DeJong who fit that bill. Granted O'Neil has been hurt and DeJong just came back from AAA so that has to factor into things.

Gorman should be playing over Edman 3 out of every 4 days I think at this point on his bat alone. If any of the kids are really that bad that they can't trust them in the field and can't hit well enough to DH you need to cut them loose and bring someone else up. Next year I could Jordan Walker and Mason Wynn knocking on the door of making their debut in St Louis and those kids are going to be studs I think.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

I agree that those guys shouldn't block Burleson from getting a shot, but in July Nootbaar had a 1.030 OPS and Dickerson was .930. Both in relatively small samples, but still, they've been very good lately. It also shows how bad both were earlier this season.

I'm of the opinion if you don't have an OPS of at least .700 you have no business being an everyday player in the show.
Just to note here, the league-wide average OPS this season is .708. Offense has been down overall this season, and this season, 2014, and 2011 are the only ones this century with an average OPS below .720. So this year might be a worthwhile exception to your rule.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Carpenter has had an interesting adjustment back to hitting HR’s which is just his ticket back to the Bigs and his penchant to pull the ball to right. His move from Texas to NY’s short porch has extended his career. Interesting to watch his at bats in St Louis where the shift doomed him. Checked MLB rosters at the beginning of the season and their were 17 former Cards. Alcantara & Arozarena were hard to part with. Kelly may have been a result of Molina hanging on too long but we will see. Outside of that Wacha, Gomber & Lynn are eating innings but are back end of the rotation. Surprised that Luke Weaver is still in the show.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just tuned into the game. Want to see what kind of reception Matty Mustache gets. He's hitting 3rd tonight. Guess he gets a good hand.

Rizzo scratched, bad back. Reoccurring thing with him. Guessing he is out for the series.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Organization and fans were super classy tonight and made it a special moment for Carpenter. Sellout crowd to boot. A tip of the hat to all of them.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Great crowd tonight, and important win for the Cards. Watching the post-game they made a point about how Carps flyout late in the game would have been a home run in NY.

Glad Carp is doing well for the Yanks, but also glad we are not paying him 17 million a year to hit around .200

Go Cards.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
WTF, game is supposed to be on FOX. But it’s Brewers vs Reds.

I got the game here in Mpls.

Cards are going to torch German. Over/under for homers he gives up tonight is three (per BoxsterCy Stat). Think German will be replaced within the next couple weeks by Clark Schmidt, guy they just sent down. I am actually shocked they didn't homer in the 1st off him.

Monty looks good in the Cardinal uniform. :(

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Cards are going to torch German. Over/under for homers he gives up tonight is three (per BoxsterCy Stat). Think German will be replaced within the next couple weeks by Clark Schmidt, guy they just sent down. I am actually shocked they didn't homer in the 1st off him.

Of course you do, you don't live in the MLB blackhole that is Iowa

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

OMW

Might be able to make it by the 9th inning

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Montgomery gets the W against his former team and they shutout arguably the best team in baseball. Overtake first place too.