MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
We'll see if the Cubs ownership actually wants to spends the money we are wanting them to this offseason.

They're frankly not any closer to competing this year than they were last year so not sure what has changed that would get them to add big name free agents this year.

I think they'll once again go shopping in the middle FA market.
I think they add one of the big name SS but time will tell.

Since this time last year they have added Stroman and Suzuki, had breakouts from Nico and Morel, Happ has had his best year, have a top 10 farm system (including 2 outfielders and 2 starters in AAA that could see time by next year), and added a potential DH. I think they are much closer to competing than they were this time last year.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
3rd is his natural position so him and Morel could sit that as well which gives time to the younger outfielders. Mervis at 1st will probably start with a platoon partner as well. But the outfield is going to be overflowing with young talent that will need ABs.

Willson came up at 3rd base, but I would be surprised if a 30 year old Willson can play the corner. I would expect the Cubs would go with Morel or Wisdom at 3rd next year. Based on the amount Wisdom has played 1B the last month, he could give them flexibility at both corners.

IMO Contreras is a tough off-season decision. But if they can get some solid prospects, I think they trade him.

Happ is probably winding down his time with the Cubs. A guy who hits .250 to .270 and hits less than 20 HR's isn't of much value in LF, RF or 1B. Plus his swing/miss is high.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Willson came up at 3rd base, but I would be surprised if a 30 year old Willson can play the corner. I would expect the Cubs would go with Morel or Wisdom at 3rd next year. Based on the amount Wisdom has played 1B the last month, he could give them flexibility at both corners.

IMO Contreras is a tough off-season decision. But if they can get some solid prospects, I think they trade him.

Happ is probably winding down his time with the Cubs. A guy who hits .250 to .270 and hits less than 20 HR's isn't of much value in LF, RF or 1B. Plus his swing/miss is high.
You can't trade a free agent.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
18.4 mil last year assuming it's going up. I doubt the Cubs offer him a qualifying offer. But I've been wrong before.
If Reyes plays close to his pre-2022 norm for the rest of 2022 season, then probably not. Reyes is younger, cheaper, has a couple years of club control and could be a consistent 25+ HR guy at DH.

Plus, the Cubs seem to have concluded that Gomes & Higgins can be top 2 catchers coming out of next spring break. And their combined 2023 salaries will be less than $7M. Frees up $ for a FA pitcher, shortstop, IB and/or OF.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If Reyes plays close to his pre-2022 norm for the rest of 2022 season, then probably not. Reyes is younger, cheaper, has a couple years of club control and could be a consistent 25+ HR guy at DH.

Plus, the Cubs seem to have concluded that Gomes & Higgins can be top 2 catchers coming out of next spring break. And their combined 2023 salaries will be less than $7M. Frees up $ for a FA pitcher, shortstop, IB and/or OF.
Games is 34, our future (Amaya) is projected to the majors in 2024. If you can get Contreras for something like 3 @ 12 mil a year i think you go that way. If not Gomes might work.

OF i really don't see anyway we'd take a free agent. 1B I really believe they want to give Mervis a shot as the left side of a platoon. A lot of guy can handle the right side.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Games is 34, our future (Amaya) is projected to the majors in 2024. If you can get Contreras for something like 3 @ 12 mil a year i think you go that way. If not Gomes might work.

OF i really don't see anyway we'd take a free agent. 1B I really believe they want to give Mervis a shot as the left side of a platoon. A lot of guy can handle the right side.

Taking a FA outfielder or 1B is probably contingent on what happens at SS. If they get a SS, then the Cubs can probably go with a prospect at 1B or LF. It would make me nervous to go with a prospect at 1B, LF, CF and Morel in the starting 9.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Taking a FA outfielder or 1B is probably contingent on what happens at SS. If they get a SS, then the Cubs can probably go with a prospect at 1B or LF. It would make me nervous to go with a prospect at 1B, LF, CF and Morel in the starting 9.
OF we'll have Suzuki, Morel Happ plus Davis and PCA on the verge. I'd rather see it spend on a top of the rotation starter.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
I think the only way they sign a FA OF, outside of depth, would be for someone like Judge. Happ is still around next year.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
They better ******* spend. I live 3 blocks from Wrigley and I will have zero problems not spending a penny on them next year if they don’t start acting like a big market team. Correa and Rodon would be my preference. The Cubs already have 4 solid starters going into next year but nothing that resembles a top of rotation arm.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Franamal with a triple in the 1st.
He's a beast and has become my favorite current Cub in a little over a week.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The other day Bleacher Nation posted this interesting bit
Since June 17:
Cubs: 29-27
Yankees 26-32

That is nuts considering how much more talented the Yankees roster is than the Cubs this year. It is interesting to see the roster begin to sort itself a bit going into the offseason. Can start to see where the organization is experimenting with where guys are playing and how often to get a look at if they could fill a role such as Wisdom playing more 1B now than 3B. I still don't view him as a long term piece but if he can be a stop gap at 1B maybe till Mervis is ready can address other needs without having to spend at 1B in the offseason.

I see that Hendricks is done for the year after MRI found a tear in his shoulder. I guess now we know why he looked so bad lately. Doubt we see Wade Miley back this year either, got a whole whomping 4 starts and 19 innings out of him this year for picking up his $10 mil contract. Alzolay and Davis are ramping up their rehabs lately I see. Alzolay has been hurt so much over the years just feels like if he sticks with the organization it's going to have to be out of the bullpen. He and Alec Mills just have that same feeling where they tease you with some good starts then spend more time hurt than healthy.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The other day Bleacher Nation posted this interesting bit
Since June 17:
Cubs: 29-27
Yankees 26-32

That is nuts considering how much more talented the Yankees roster is than the Cubs this year. It is interesting to see the roster begin to sort itself a bit going into the offseason. Can start to see where the organization is experimenting with where guys are playing and how often to get a look at if they could fill a role such as Wisdom playing more 1B now than 3B. I still don't view him as a long term piece but if he can be a stop gap at 1B maybe till Mervis is ready can address other needs without having to spend at 1B in the offseason.

I see that Hendricks is done for the year after MRI found a tear in his shoulder. I guess now we know why he looked so bad lately. Doubt we see Wade Miley back this year either, got a whole whomping 4 starts and 19 innings out of him this year for picking up his $10 mil contract. Alzolay and Davis are ramping up their rehabs lately I see. Alzolay has been hurt so much over the years just feels like if he sticks with the organization it's going to have to be out of the bullpen. He and Alec Mills just have that same feeling where they tease you with some good starts then spend more time hurt than healthy.
It helps that the Cubs have played the Pirates and Nationals a lot lately.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It helps that the Cubs have played the Pirates and Nationals a lot lately.

They have played teams like the Pirates & Nationals no more than any other team. They have played .500 ball for 2 months.

I updated since the Bleacher post, from Jun 17 to Aug 22 the Cubs are:

29-29 Overall

15-12 Home
14-17 Road (Includes Neutral Field of Dreams Game)

13-17 Against Teams Above .500
16-12 Against Teams Under .500

They have won 12 of 19 series during that time (excludes Baltimore makeup game).

I'll take .500 ball at this point, based on roster adjustments during the season and bringing some young guys up. Pitching staff innings have come from unexpected places and has been fairly positive.