MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
What you've described is a coach, not an everyday right fielder.

Have him on the roster, whatever. But he's taking ABs from younger guys that deserve them.
In no way am I disagreeing, that’s just my observation/only solution for why he’s still out there.

This organization has been doing things backwards for a few years now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've seen enough of the Alec Mills in the rotation experiment. Other than his no hitter in 2020 he's never been very consistent let alone stayed healthy enough to show he's worth keeping around. He is a decent long arm in the bullpen for a crappy team but he's a poor man's Hendricks when starting and that isn't saying much these days with the way Hendricks has been knocked this year too.

Glad to get 2 of 3 this weekend against the Cards, the bullpen really stepped up today with 7 1/3 innings and just 2 hits, 2 walks, and 9 K's. Despite Ross's best efforts to not start Velazquez everyday right now he's 4 for 9 so far since his call up. Keep hitting kid and maybe it will force his hand to play him more.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I've seen enough of the Alec Mills in the rotation experiment. Other than his no hitter in 2020 he's never been very consistent let alone stayed healthy enough to show he's worth keeping around. He is a decent long arm in the bullpen for a crappy team but he's a poor man's Hendricks when starting and that isn't saying much these days with the way Hendricks has been knocked this year too.

Glad to get 2 of 3 this weekend against the Cards, the bullpen really stepped up today with 7 1/3 innings and just 2 hits, 2 walks, and 9 K's. Despite Ross's best efforts to not start Velazquez everyday right now he's 4 for 9 so far since his call up. Keep hitting kid and maybe it will force his hand to play him more.

I think we're safe from Mills being in the rotation long-term. He's indeed a long arm in the bullpen and spot starter, who unfortunately has been called upon in that latter role due to the Miley and Smyly injuries. He's starting because they really don't have anyone else with the Caleb Kilian experiment temporarily derailed.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
How often do guys get traded at the deadline and re-sign in the off season with the club that dealt them? I know Chapman did with the Yankees after 2016, but I’d like to see the Cubs pull that off with Contreras and possibly Happ.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
How often do guys get traded at the deadline and re-sign in the off season with the club that dealt them? I know Chapman did with the Yankees after 2016, but I’d like to see the Cubs pull that off with Contreras and possibly Happ.
I believe teams are able to weigh the player they'd be acquiring willingness to sign an extension prior to the trade. If the player wants to test the open market. It minimizes their trade value.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

What's the Cubs pitch? "Hated the playoffs? Come back to Chicago where you won't have to worry about all that playoff pressure again for a while."

• Haha
Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
What's the Cubs pitch? "Hated the playoffs? Come back to Chicago where you won't have to worry about all that playoff pressure again for a while."
His familiarity with the club is a plus. Knowing we have a long line of young arms starting to hit the big club. Honestly we'd have to sign a top line ace for him to consider a return.

The offense is respectable and going to get better. Suzuki returning hopefully parting with Heyward and then signing a offensive stud. (SS)

But yes it's likely a long road back.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
His familiarity with the club is a plus. Knowing we have a long line of young arms starting to hit the big club. Honestly we'd have to sign a top line ace for him to consider a return.

The offense is respectable and going to get better. Suzuki returning hopefully parting with Heyward and then signing a offensive stud. (SS)

But yes it's likely a long road back.

I don't follow the minors like I used to but looking at the fangraphs top prospect lists, it doesn't look like there's a ton of promising young arms on their way. The top Cubs pitcher is Caleb Killian who's almost 25 and in AA. Jordan Wicks, Alexander Vizcaino and DJ Herz are also in the Cubs top 15, but don't seem to profile as difference makers.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Happ is a tough one. Guy is playing great right now and is only 27, but he's history has been so-so and I'm not sure you want to gamble on an extension. You could try to sell high right now, realizing it may look real silly in a few years if he keeps this up.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Suzuki had 2 hits last night with a scorcher out to RC. Just got tickets for Saturday night's game.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Happ is a tough one. Guy is playing great right now and is only 27, but he's history has been so-so and I'm not sure you want to gamble on an extension. You could try to sell high right now, realizing it may look real silly in a few years if he keeps this up.

What type of contract do you think he could get? I mean, the guy has quite a bit of versatility as a switch hitter, plays 5 positions, and can hit virtually anywhere in a lineup.

5 years, $75 million???

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Suzuki had 2 hits last night with a scorcher out to RC. Just got tickets for Saturday night's game.
I was at the game last night, he went 1 for 3 with a walk and a double. Guessing he won't be at Iowa for too long.

Didn't realize Clint Frazier changed his first name to Jackson recently. Either way he still doesn't look like a MLB player as he struck out his first 3 AB before hitting a homer after the Cubs were already done for.

Best player in the game last night was the starting pitcher for the other team. Looked him up and he was Clevelands 7th round pick in 2019 and if that's how he pitches most nights won't be surprised if he is up with the big league team at some point. The I Cubs had a reliever come in late in the game that was hitting 99 mph several times but wasn't throwing strikes consistently then eventually gave up a grand slam. Haven't seen much in the 2 I Cubs games I've been to this year that makes me think there is much in AAS that will help soon other than the guys that they have up there at the moment in Rivas Velazquez and Crooks.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Seems like putting Morel's arm at 2B is a huge waste.

I would agree, especially if the shift is outlawed. A strong arm does have some value if the 2nd baseman is in short right field.

Listening to a game last week, I thought Boog or Deshaies mentioned that Morel liked playing 3rd the most. I might have heard that wrong. That surprised me as I can't recall him playing at 3rd with the Cubs. But with his arm, that would be a better spot than 2nd.

I might be in the minority, but I like Wisdom at 3rd. He's an above average defender and I am totally good with .230 hitter who can hit 30 HR's. As long as he bats 7/8 or 9.

The Cubs announcers talk up Hoerner at SS. He has been solid, but don't think his range or arm are above average. Is Morel's range and arm as a SS above average? If so that might be a great spot for him. Then focus on adding high OPS guys at 1st, LF & RF. That assumes Suzuki moves to CF.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I would agree, especially if the shift is outlawed. A strong arm does have some value if the 2nd baseman is in short right field.

Listening to a game last week, I thought Boog or Deshaies mentioned that Morel liked playing 3rd the most. I might have heard that wrong. That surprised me as I can't recall him playing at 3rd with the Cubs. But with his arm, that would be a better spot than 2nd.

I might be in the minority, but I like Wisdom at 3rd. He's an above average defender and I am totally good with .230 hitter who can hit 30 HR's. As long as he bats 7/8 or 9.

The Cubs announcers talk up Hoerner at SS. He has been solid, but don't think his range or arm are above average. Is Morel's range and arm as a SS above average? If so that might be a great spot for him. Then focus on adding high OPS guys at 1st, LF & RF. That assumes Suzuki moves to CF.
Morel has the two highest velocity throw from the OF this year in the majors. Saw a graphic last week.