MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Much like the Cyclones most years I think this Cubs roster has a very slim margin of error if they are going to exceed expectations this year. There is no real star power at all on the roster. If everyone stays healthy and plays close to their ceilings then maybe they compete but especially with the pitching staff if guys like Hendricks and Stroman get hurt or struggle it will go downhill quickly as those 2 guys on a good rotation are maybe no better than the #3 guy on a playoff rotation and the backend of the Cubs rotation right now has a lot of questions still.

Not trying to be a downer as I do hope this roster surprises and finds some magic but putting your faith in guys like Wisdom, Happ, etc. who at times have had their moments but other times you wonder if they are everyday players. This current roster really has no identity yet and no star power to carry them through a rough patch. Hoping that we hit on some prospects and the front office is ready to add proven star power to the roster in the near future because this roster as it stands does not have much room for growth as they are mostly journeyman players or guys that have been in the big league long enough they don't have much more of a ceiling to reach so they are what they are. Schwindel is 29, Wisdom 30 so how much more potential is there left to be tapped into with guys like them?

My hope is Suzuki turns out to be more of Ichiro than Fukudome and Davis comes up and rakes to give the Cubs 2 solid pieces to build with. If Contreras is not extended soon its a forgone conclusion he will be traded this year I think and as much as I have always like Hendricks, at age 32 I think I would be OK trading him for the right deal too probably.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I'm kind of surprised they went for May 30th rather than April 30th. I get Memorial Day, but April 30th is still a weekend day and you would think you would want to make them up earlier rather than later with the number of games the Cubs have had to make up in the last few years. May could get nasty full if they have to make any more dates in May.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I'm kind of surprised they went for May 30th rather than April 30th. I get Memorial Day, but April 30th is still a weekend day and you would think you would want to make them up earlier rather than later with the number of games the Cubs have had to make up in the last few years. May could get nasty full if they have to make any more dates in May.
That series is in Milwaukee. So you support playing postponed Brewers/Cubs games that are at Wrigley in Milwaukee instead? What a wonderful idea! It's only 90 miles away and we have a roof!

• Haha
Reactions: VeloClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Everything I have seen online or discussed during preseason games was Ian Happ would be ready to go after his elbow cleanup in February. That might be true at bat, but it seems like his throwing arm could be a liability. At least early in the season. The Brewers took advantage of a SF on a short fly to left yesterday.

Just curious if anyone has heard why the Cubs aren't going with Ortega or Fraizer in left and keeping Happ at DH until his arm strength is better.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Brewers have hit the Cubs 27 times since August 2020, which is easily the most of any two teams since that time span.

And those inbreeds felt clearing the bench was justified because their journeymen who has played for them for *checks notes* 2 games got hit.

If Thompson gets suspended for this, I damn well hope every single time a Cub gets hit, a Brewers pitcher is suspended as well. Enough is enough

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Brewers have hit the Cubs 27 times since August 2020, which is easily the most of any two teams since that time span.

And those inbreeds felt clearing the bench was justified because their journeymen who has played for them for *checks notes* 2 games got hit.

If Thompson gets suspended for this, I damn well hope every single time a Cub gets hit, a Brewers pitcher is suspended as well. Enough is enough
How many were Rizzo? Sometimes he was hard to miss.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Granted VERY small sample but thus far really like the Cubs approach at the plate a lot more than recent previous seasons. Hopefully that will keep up as the season progresses.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
SEIYA LATER! Moonshot from Suzuki and a great start. A sweep to start the year would be great

Reactions: baller21