MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They don't have the biggest douche in baseball that is Scott Boras as their agent. And KB is legitimate superstar ability when healthy. I love Javy and Rizzo, and they are fan favorites, but either of them at their best is nowhere close to KB at his best
None of the three are going to sign a team friendly deal with the cubs, it all comes to dollars and cents, and since all three can be free agents at the end of the year, if the cubs want them back, they are going to have to pay up or watch them walk.
At best I could see the Cubs locking up Rizzo, he is the oldest of the group, with the less upside, no way does the other two sign a below market contract to stay in Chicago.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Why would Rizzo and Javy sign team friendly deals if Bryant isnt willing to? Bryant should have signed for $200 million plus a few years ago, hope they trade him before the deadline.

Trading him at deadline even if you’re within 3 games of first place would be career suicide for everyone involved.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Trading him at deadline even if you’re within 3 games of first place would be career suicide for everyone involved.
You cant get fired if you own the team.

Boras can eat a fat one. KB bet on himself and won so good for him. Hopefully he has a long career but it wont be as a Cub.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Boras can eat a fat one. KB bet on himself and won so good for him. Hopefully he has a long career but it wont be as a Cub.

Exactly, and with the service time mess you know Boras would milk the Cubs for every penny because of that if they truly want to keep KB. Most of these monster contracts he gets his clients usually strap the teams with a huge financial burden that eventually they aren't paying for the production they are getting. It's a bad spot for the Cubs because they probably thought this was going to be a lost year and there would be no stink over trading KB to get something to build with before he walked but now they are in the thick of things its become more complicated. I still wouldn't be upset if they traded him at the deadline even if they were 3 games back from first. But if they don't trade him then they damn well better be aggressive buyers at the deadline and shore up the rotation as well as maybe upgrade at 2B or another OF. Being able to play KB in the OF more than 3B along with Wisdom coming out of nowhere has shored up some of the OF issues for now.

I do think they find a way to bring Rizzo back and I'm curious what kind of market there will be for Javy as I don't think it's going to be as expensive as some might think given his inconsistency at the plate over the past few years. I am worried about the next few years with all the free agents that could walk after this season along with Contreras and Happ that you eventually have to pay up for or move on from too. It's definitely a crossroads moment for the franchise

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Exactly, and with the service time mess you know Boras would milk the Cubs for every penny because of that if they truly want to keep KB. Most of these monster contracts he gets his clients usually strap the teams with a huge financial burden that eventually they aren't paying for the production they are getting. It's a bad spot for the Cubs because they probably thought this was going to be a lost year and there would be no stink over trading KB to get something to build with before he walked but now they are in the thick of things its become more complicated. I still wouldn't be upset if they traded him at the deadline even if they were 3 games back from first. But if they don't trade him then they damn well better be aggressive buyers at the deadline and shore up the rotation as well as maybe upgrade at 2B or another OF. Being able to play KB in the OF more than 3B along with Wisdom coming out of nowhere has shored up some of the OF issues for now.

I do think they find a way to bring Rizzo back and I'm curious what kind of market there will be for Javy as I don't think it's going to be as expensive as some might think given his inconsistency at the plate over the past few years. I am worried about the next few years with all the free agents that could walk after this season along with Contreras and Happ that you eventually have to pay up for or move on from too. It's definitely a crossroads moment for the franchise
Not sure how much longer Hoerner will be out but once he’s back that takes care of the 2B issue. The sooner Sogard is no longer a Cub, the better

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
And can we stop saying they will get nothing in return for these guys when they don’t trade them? Getting a compensatory pick for them is just about the equivalent of what they’d get in a trade for a two month rental.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
And can we stop saying they will get nothing in return for these guys when they don’t trade them? Getting a compensatory pick for them is just about the equivalent of what they’d get in a trade for a two month rental.

This is why I think it's a relatively simple solution. If teams call you throw out a crazy asking price. If someone is desperate and bites, great. If not, you ride this wave to the bitter end.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Not sure how much longer Hoerner will be out but once he’s back that takes care of the 2B issue. The sooner Sogard is no longer a Cub, the better

I'd pretty much forgotten about what Hoerner was doing this season. That will be nice to get him back.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

One minor annoyance for me with KB is that in the last 3-4 years it seems like he's taken forever to recover from minor, nagging injuries. Seemingly minor injuries that lead to a month long DL stint.

A contract year comes along and wouldn't you know it he's played in 60 of 65 games.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Arietta really struggling. So strange to watch him now compared to 2016. Hope he settles in eventually.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Would be nice to get the win today because they are then facing deGrom & Stroman the next 2 nights.

• Agree
Reactions: larrysarmy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I would be surprised if they couldn't get a decent prospect in return for KB for sure right now and even Rizzo and Baez surely you'd get back at least 1 piece that could potentially contribute within 1-3 years. Hell look what we traded away to get a rental in Chapman in 2016 and Quintana in 2017. Gleyber Torres would look pretty good at 2B right now and Eloy Jimenez looked pretty good when he came up. I'll stand by the Torres trade as had to go all in with Chapman at that point but to say none our our core guys could net a decent return on a rental da big stretch because rentals get traded all the time for good returns. Just have to find the right buyer that is willing to pony up.

Gary Cohen with Vineline was on KXNO yesterday and talked about how Cubs could still possibly be sellers while also buyers as he could see them trade Kimbrel and mover Tepera to closer while adding a mid-tier starter to the mix but don't expect any top of the rotation guys like Scherzer to be on their shopping list. Mentioned they could still trade one of the core guys as part of a pitching deal or prospects too and still have enough to stay in the race. Very tough thing for FO to navigate as a month ago no one would have blamed them for selling but now the short term situation has changed.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Would be nice to get the win today because they are then facing deGrom & Stroman the next 2 nights.

You hate to say “must win” but more like a keep the momentum win. The last 3 home games were basically like playoff atmosphere, then show up to NYC and there’s like 10k people there and looked dead. Anyone could see a dropped game yesterday, but the next 3 are another tough measuring stick, on the road.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Will be curious how long this keeps him out or affects his play as the past few years it's this kind of crap that seemed to linger and keep him longer than anticipated or was said to be the reason behind his poor play. Playing at a MVP caliber level and in a contract year I bet that it won't hurt as bad as it would have the past 2 seasons... :jimlad:

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I still hate the MLB blackouts. This is BS that the game is on ESPN tonight and I can't get it yet I got the Sunday and Monday night games they broadcasted. This is 1 thing I really hope they get rid of in their next negotiations. It is crap that we don't have a single professional team in Iowa yet we are blacked out for like 5 MLB teams still. It was even more frustrating last year when they couldn't have fans in the stands yet still blacked out games too.