MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If Kimbrel pitches anything close to this all year, that alone will pick up a lot of W's

I'm hoping he pitches well enough the Cubs can dump him by the trade deadline and hopefully save a little cash on his bloated salary. He's not part of the long term plans so really see no reason holding onto him if they can find a trade partner.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'm hoping he pitches well enough the Cubs can dump him by the trade deadline and hopefully save a little cash on his bloated salary. He's not part of the long term plans so really see no reason holding onto him if they can find a trade partner.
I'll be curious to see what happens if they are competing for top of the central come all star break. This team is not good enough to make any noise come postseason but I don't see the FO buying, but selling on a 1st or 2nd place team would certainly be something

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I'll be curious to see what happens if they are competing for top of the central come all star break. This team is not good enough to make any noise come postseason but I don't see the FO buying, but selling on a 1st or 2nd place team would certainly be something

I think STL sold some at theAll Star break a couple years back and they weren’t completely out of it and if memory serves, they remained competitive up until the end.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
This seems like a year where 4 teams have like 75-85 wins at the end of the year because everyone in the central is so meh

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I am of the belief that unless this team is FIRMLY in 1st place in the division they will be sellers at the deadline. Something like over a dozen players on the roster who are in walk years of their contracts I believe. I don't think this team has the pitching let alone probably even the depth offensively either to compete in the postseason so paying a guy like Kimbrel $16 mil to close for a mediocre team if you can get anyone to take a portion of that money and maybe some kind of lower level prospect in a deal that is a win for the Cubs IMO.

FO needs to stop throwing the same group of guys out there hoping for better results and figure out who they are going to commit dollars to and who isn't in the plans and make the moves to set this franchise up with a faster rebuild. Personally I hope they lose just enough to be out of the playoff hunt but have guys like KB, Kimbrel, Joc, and whoever else could net something of value in a trade perform well enough that makes them easier to trade.

Reactions: GT25Ump

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This game might be over in time for the national championship

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
One hit tonight. Going to be one of those years again where we get hot for 10ish games and then can’t hit **** for 20 games straight

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’ve decided Rizzo and KB are my two guys I’m keeping if I can.

Tonight was the 4th or 5th game I’ve seen in his career where a fast ball comes up and in his first at bat, he throws a hissy fit acting like a tough guy, then proceeds to strike out every at bat the rest of the game.

Why teams don’t just throw at him and get in his head to start every game is a mystery to me.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Other than game 1, been a fan of KB this year. Don’t know if it’s truly because he’s finally healthy, but he’s looked like an elite defensive third basemen and a tough out at the plate for the first time in a long time

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Other than game 1, been a fan of KB this year. Don’t know if it’s truly because he’s finally healthy, but he’s looked like an elite defensive third basemen and a tough out at the plate for the first time in a long time
Our it's a contract year and he wants to get paid, so he better get something figured out