MLB: ***Official 2019 St. Louis Cardinals Season Thread***

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I’ve never understood nor been a proponent of that. The dude is killing you, so you attack him when he can’t retaliate? Just stop sucking as a pitching staff and figure out how to get the dude out. If you can’t do that, take the bat out of his hands and walk him.

Right now it feels like MIL has a 75% chance of scoring every time he steps to the plate. Play the odds and walk him.

This.

Feels like a Matheny thing to do, to not walk him.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Another homerun by Yelich tonight, I generally am not for drilling a guy, but that makes it 8 homers in 6 games. About time to channel their inner Gibson and drill him in the ribs.
I understand the frustration when a player seems to have your number. There have been many Cardinal players over the years that have done a fair amount of damage to Brewer pitching, but those guys are generally good people (btw, your ball club has a great history of player development and some really good and classy players) and I would NEVER advocate trying to disable those players (and possibly their career). Just my two cents.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I’ve never understood nor been a proponent of that. The dude is killing you, so you attack him when he can’t retaliate? Just stop sucking as a pitching staff and figure out how to get the dude out. If you can’t do that, take the bat out of his hands and walk him.

Right now it feels like MIL has a 75% chance of scoring every time he steps to the plate. Play the odds and walk him.

I don't know, there is something going on, looking at the brewers difference in homeruns between home and away is like 3-1. Like I said before, generally I am not a fan of hitting someone, but sometimes enough is enough. I would feel the same way if they drilled one of ours.

Again, I am not saying hit him in the head, or ruin his career, but the Brewers players almost seem like they know what is coming and are swinging from the heels. Drill one in the ribs, start a fight, and go on from there. Its baseball, you pounded us the last two games, that does not mean we like it or going to take it.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The record for most HRs against a single team in one season is 14 by Lou Gehrig in 1936 against Cleveland. Yelich has 7 HRs against the Cards this year in 6 games. If they keep pitching to him, he'll destroy that record.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
God, we needed that win against the brewers. Interesting stat, at the conclusion of this series, the cards will have met the brewers for 41% of their scheduled games played so far. That is way to many, they will have played 10 of the total 19 times in the first month of the season.

The cards have played the crew 8 times now, with tonight being the first in Busch. Yelich has 13 homers on the season, all at home, and 9 against the Cardinals.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I feel really good about where the Cardinals are at right now. There are obviously still concerns about the rotation, but I still think they'll get it figured out by the end of the season. Martinez coming back could certainly help shore things up there.

The bullpen has looked good, and the offense has been fantastic as of late. They've shown the ability to score in bunches in a variety of ways, whether by hitting bombs or by playing small ball and taking the extra base on singles. That ability is something we hadn't seen as much under Matheny. It will be interesting to see if some of these guys can keep it up for a full season, especially Fowler. It's great to see him playing well again, though.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I feel really good about where the Cardinals are at right now. There are obviously still concerns about the rotation, but I still think they'll get it figured out by the end of the season. Martinez coming back could certainly help shore things up there.

The bullpen has looked good, and the offense has been fantastic as of late. They've shown the ability to score in bunches in a variety of ways, whether by hitting bombs or by playing small ball and taking the extra base on singles. That ability is something we hadn't seen as much under Matheny. It will be interesting to see if some of these guys can keep it up for a full season, especially Fowler. It's great to see him playing well again, though.

Agreed. Great to see Fowler having success. I had considered him dead weight on the roster, so any production they get out of him is a big bonus. Nice to see Wong keeping up his production too. If he can maintain even a league average or slightly above league average offensive production, he is a hell of a weapon. Dejong is hitting like one of the best players in the game right now, which is bound to slow down. However, Goldy is still not hitting consistently, which will come as the season goes on. If Carp, Goldy, Dejong, and Ozuna all start to click at the same time, watch out.

The thing I like most so far about the Shidlt era vs. Matheny is we see much more intelligent aggression on the bases. With Matheny, it seemed like his message was to go as hard as you can, all the time on the bases. The result of that was running into stupid outs all the time by trying to take an extra base when it didn't make sense. With Shildt, it seems like the players are much smarter about when to push vs when to be patient on the bases.

Reactions: heitclone

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Cubs fan here. I understand schedules can’t be perfect but seems pretty dumb that Brewers and Cardinals will face 10 times before Cubs/Cards play each other. Hell the Cubs play the Diamondbacks 6 times within 9 games in April and they’ve yet to play the Cards, Reds, and only once against both MIL and PIT. Feel like not much thought went into it

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
4 in a row, a game up on the Buccos. Hopefully Bader's hammy isn't too serious but Martinez is raking right now, it'll be tough to take him out of the lineup if he keeps hitting like this. The 5-8 spots have been really pulling their weight this series.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have been pleasantly surprised with the start to this season.
Agree, but have been hoping the rotation settles in the way most of the batters have

On another note...

I’m starting to wonder just how soon Nolan Gorman will make it to the Majors. .325 and six homers—making better contact early in his career than I would have thought for a HS slugger. Good thing they just signed Carpenter through 2022?

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Marcel Ozuna...dude is having the year we thought we'd see last season. Being healthy is obvious making a difference but having Goldy in front of him doesn't hurt either. I think so far teams have risked letting both Ozuna and DeYoung beat them instead of Goldschmidt, both have been taking advantage of it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron