MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Thank God we're still only a game back. This team has the talent, but the freaking mental mistakes are becoming maddening, and they are horrible on the road. Russell is an idiot, and what pisses me off the most is when you double down on your mistake rather then owning it.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
So apparently WOI and KCWI are in a retransmission fee feud with DirecTV right now. So any games that aren't on NBC Sports Chicago or the Sunday night game on ESPN we won't get here if you have DirecTV, at least for now.....like today's game, for example. That's nice.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Find someone that loves you like the Cubs love swinging at high fastballs

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
When's the last time the Cubs had a scheduled off day on a Friday during the season?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
The pre-ASG schedule this year is one of the oddest I can recall, but maybe I've not been paying attention. Just a few oddly spaced off days. Three in the first 10 or so days of the season, then just 1 in May and 1 in June.
Also the day before and after the two games in Seattle

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm in wait and see mode with Garcia. I like the small sample size so far of what he can do but I'm curious what happens in another week or 2 after there is more scouting on him as he's a career .233 hitter in the minors and prior to this season with the Cubs organization never really has done much.

Real question is what moves will the Cubs make before the deadline? Do they make a splash on a proven hitter to help with their inconsistent offense? I can see them in the market for a left handed reliever probably. Does Happ and/or Russell possibly get moved out in a deal? I'm just not sold that this team is built to make a deep run in the playoffs right now with the way the offense disappears sometimes and the obvious bullpen issues that still are not quite patched up yet.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm in wait and see mode with Garcia. I like the small sample size so far of what he can do but I'm curious what happens in another week or 2 after there is more scouting on him as he's a career .233 hitter in the minors and prior to this season with the Cubs organization never really has done much.

Real question is what moves will the Cubs make before the deadline? Do they make a splash on a proven hitter to help with their inconsistent offense? I can see them in the market for a left handed reliever probably. Does Happ and/or Russell possibly get moved out in a deal? I'm just not sold that this team is built to make a deep run in the playoffs right now with the way the offense disappears sometimes and the obvious bullpen issues that still are not quite patched up yet.

He's such a weird case though, it's not like he's been a .233 hitter for eight years in the minors, he was a .233 career hitter five years ago through the age of 20. Then basically disappeared from the high level baseball scene until showing up this year. He shows back up and hits at AA, hits in AAA and now is off to a great start at the MLB. He could be just a flash in the pan, which if he is, just ride his hot bat until the league figures him out, but he might also be a legit hitter who put things together when he was off the radar.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
He's such a weird case though, it's not like he's been a .233 hitter for eight years in the minors, he was a .233 career hitter five years ago through the age of 20. Then basically disappeared from the high level baseball scene until showing up this year. He shows back up and hits at AA, hits in AAA and now is off to a great start at the MLB. He could be just a flash in the pan, which if he is, just ride his hot bat until the league figures him out, but he might also be a legit hitter who put things together when he was off the radar.

We'll know here in a few weeks which one he is I guess. Based on past players like this with the Cubs I'm guessing more flash in the pan than legit hitter but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised for a change.

I'd kill for a legit leadoff hitter that continues to elude the Cubs most years. I'm not in agreement with the crowd that says "but Schwarber gets on base a lot." Schwarbs OBP as leadoff this year is just .311 to go with his pathetic .232 average which is just slightly better than his .227 overall BA on the season.. In 185 AB as leadoff he has 43 hits, 64 K's and 23 walks. Unfortunately I don't know that there is a better option on this current roster than him either though as the best on base guys Bryant, Rizzo, and Contreras need to be in the heart of the order. I don't know who is available they could go after but at this point it won't take much to out-produce what Schwarber is doing in the leadoff spot.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99