MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Somewhat new "news" on the Zobrist divorce: https://nypost.com/2019/05/28/ben-zobrists-estranged-wife-julianna-breaks-silence-after-split/

Have to wonder at what point do the Cubs press him to either return or retire. Really could use him right now with the injury problems and short on outfielders.

It is starting to become clear that bullpen help and possibly adding another bench OF are going to be needs this summer. There really is no one for OF hitting worth a damn right now at Iowa. Adduci who they called up this weekend has been a 34 year old journeyman AAA type of player and he struck out 3 times yesterday. Happ is hitting just .236 with 53 K's in 174 PA which is nearly 1/3 of the time so he obviously has not figured things out yet. Other than that nothing at AAA that stands out that could fill that role as a 4th of 5th OF with the big club.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I don't quite understand how our starting pitchers seem to feed off each other. If one is good, all of them roll. When one struggles, they all struggle.

All i know is the the position players are doing their job at the plate. The starters (pitchers) are taking their turn in sucking.....with a close second to anyone who closes. Sorry to be so negative, but we can't get guys out lately.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Unreal how bad our situational hitting has been and continues to be. Runner on 3rd with no outs, Schwarber strikes out looking, Javy (who is cooling off rapidly) strikes out swinging. Meanwhile Astros last three runs all came with two outs in the last two innings

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
We're in a funk and playing some good teams right now. We're still in first place.

Thank God we head to St. Losers this weekend.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I missed that this article was posted and was just going to post it.

giphy.gif

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
What happened with Almora? I’m in a bar and can’t hear the announcers.
I was wondering the same thing. From what I saw the foul ball may have hit a young kid in the crowd (it even looked like a lap aged child), but I couldn’t tell for certain. I hope I’m wrong and everyone is alright. That is a terrible situation for him to be in, you could see how remorseful he was.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I was wondering the same thing. From what I saw the foul ball may have hit a young kid in the crowd (it even looked like a lap aged child), but I couldn’t tell for certain. I hope everyone is alright. That is a terrible situation for him to be in, you could see how remorseful he was.

YEah, his ball hit someone in the crowd.
One announcer mentioned that's the risk you take coming to the game. That idiot should be talking about safety nets instead.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
YEah, his ball hit someone in the crowd.
One announcer mentioned that's the risk you take coming to the game. That idiot should be talking about safety nets instead.
It looked like the netting only extended as far as the end of the dugout at Minute Maid Park, I thought everyone had nets that extended further than that. They should probably all extend to as far as where the infield dirt meets the outfield.

But honestly, the number of people I've seen at high level baseball games (college-MLB) that have zero awareness of what's happening in the game is amazing to me. These guys are hitting balls that leave the bat at 115 mph yet people are texting on their phones during play, parents are letting their young children sit between them and home plate while ma and pa chit chat about whatever. I've seen it SO many times at games. That ball could kill someone... put your phone away. You can check instagram between innings, I promise it will still be there. Dad, if you have any brain cells in your head, you'll be sitting between your 3 year old and home plate and better yet... you go sit in the upper deck. 10 years from now, Junior isn't going to remember how awesome it was to sit in the 5th row halfway down the 3rd baseline with you. A young child has ZERO business sitting anywhere that close if the adult with them can't keep them from getting hit.

That's it for today's rant. Sounds like the kid is going to be okay, thank God.