MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Craig Kimbrel was the best closer in the market this last offseason, that's the funny thing.

JASON Kimbrell--or Craig--whatever....I am sure I will spell something wrong too.........WAS a good closer. It's like buying a Chevy '72 Nova in 2019 because that was the best muscle car at the time.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Again, I'm not arguing Tony Kemp is a good player. I'm arguing it wasn't a bad trade. Huge difference, unfortunately you don't understand how that works...

- Mike Montgomery did NOT want to be a Cub and wanted to be a starting pitcher.

- If the Cubs are in contention and Montgomery isn't a starter, zero teams in contention are going to trade for Montgomery

- The Cubs needed a catcher after Contreras was injured so they traded Montgomery for a backup catcher

- Contreras got healthy and they didn't need a catcher, so they traded for Kemp.

Would I prefer Montgomery in our bullpen over Tony Kemp in our lineup? Yes.

Would I prefer having someone other than Taylor Davis backing up Victor Caratini? Yes.

Would I prefer a utility man over 3 catchers on a 25 man roster? Yes.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
You can’t make this stuff up. Finding ways to lose. It’s astounding how good they are at it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Yes, but if you watched what was happening to him in the 2nd Half of the season in Boston this isn't a big shocker. Also there was a reason he didn't get signed until June.

I understand that. Doesn't take away that he was the best closer on the market this last offseason (which says a lot about the market.) Also doesn't take away the fact that he wasn't signed until June, much like Dallas Keuchal, because they weren't viewed as great enough to lose a first round pick, but good enough to have on a team for now.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Again, I'm not arguing Tony Kemp is a good player. I'm arguing it wasn't a bad trade. Huge difference, unfortunately you don't understand how that works...

- Mike Montgomery did NOT want to be a Cub and wanted to be a starting pitcher.

- If the Cubs are in contention and Montgomery isn't a starter, zero teams in contention are going to trade for Montgomery

- The Cubs needed a catcher after Contreras was injured so they traded Montgomery for a backup catcher

- Contreras got healthy and they didn't need a catcher, so they traded for Kemp.

Would I prefer Montgomery in our bullpen over Tony Kemp in our lineup? Yes.

Would I prefer having someone other than Taylor Davis backing up Victor Caratini? Yes.

Would I prefer a utility man over 3 catchers on a 25 man roster? Yes.
I would rather have almost any player over Tony Kemp I get your logic I just don't agree it wasn't a bad trade or series of trades

Reactions: ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
So many unknowns heading into this offseason.

- IS David Ross named manager by the last week of November?
- What will we do with our starting 5?
- How do we improve our late inning relief?

We have to find an appropriate way to keep our core intact while eliminating those who are keeping us from reaching our max potential.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron