MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Hey guys, haven't come by in a while, just thought I'd drop by the Cubs baseball thread and see how everyone is do.......

source.gif

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Stick a fork in this season, this season was lost when they had a chance to put the Brewers away in early September but let them take 5 out of 7. Theo has failed miserably to find a competent leadoff hitter since Fowler left, develop starting pitching, and sign a closer long term.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I just came here for the sad tears. Cubs' chances of making the playoffs are down to 32% according to fivethirtheight

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Stick a fork in this season, this season was lost when they had a chance to put the Brewers away in early September but let them take 5 out of 7. Theo has failed miserably to find a competent leadoff hitter since Fowler left, develop starting pitching, and sign a closer long term.

Disagree with Theo failing to develop starting pitching (I’m pretty high on our farm systems pitching) and signing a closer long term, considering we have Kimbrel (the best closer in the game since 2014) for the next two years.

But we could’ve stepped on the Brewers throats and we didn’t. We could’ve not been embarrassed this season by the Reds, but we were.

Also agree on failure to find a leadoff hitter was pretty critical. Media acts like Rizzo is a God leadoff hitter when in all actuality he’s just the only leadoff hitter we have that knows how to be a leadoff hitter. He’s much better suited as a 3 hitter.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I just came here for the sad tears. Cubs' chances of making the playoffs are down to 32% according to fivethirtheight

They can still take the next three games from the Cards and then they’ll only be one out. This is coming from a Cards fan. Of course I’m rooting against it, but it’s entirely possible for them to end up taking 3 out of 4 from this series.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Disagree with Theo failing to develop starting pitching (I’m pretty high on our farm systems pitching) and signing a closer long term, considering we have Kimbrel (the best closer in the game since 2014) for the next two years.

But we could’ve stepped on the Brewers throats and we didn’t. We could’ve not been embarrassed this season by the Reds, but we were.

Also agree on failure to find a leadoff hitter was pretty critical. Media acts like Rizzo is a God leadoff hitter when in all actuality he’s just the only leadoff hitter we have that knows how to be a leadoff hitter. He’s much better suited as a 3 hitter.

8 years and zero homegrown impact arms (starters or relievers), I don't know how you could possibly disagree with that.

• Disagree
Reactions: chuckd4735

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Hendricks is the last pitcher they developed. Idk how you can argue otherwise

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Who did he draft that has been a productive member of the rotation since 2011? He's been here almost 8 years now and has produced exactly 0 starting pitchers in the rotation at the major league level. I'll give that he traded for Hendricks but hes drafted and developed no starters in 8 years in Chicago.

2015- Rondon
2016-Rondon/Chapman
2017-Davis
2018-Morrow/Strop
2019-Kimbrel for half the season

Its been a revolving door at closer the last 5 years, absolutely no stability in the back of the bullpen in 5 years.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Theo's model was never to develop homegrown pitching, and hes been beyond upfront about that. Its to develop offense and acquire pitching.

Ok, then why does the offense suck so bad?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Theo's model was never to develop homegrown pitching, and hes been beyond upfront about that. Its to develop offense and acquire pitching.

That's not true at all. It was the plan to focus on developing hitting initially (which worked) and then shift the focus to developing pitching (which has failed miserably) while they had low cost position players. If what you are saying is true, why would they waste any high draft capital on pitchers? They've went pitcher heavy in several of the last drafts, 2 of the last 3 first round picks have been pitchers. That's a really odd draft strategy if you don't plan on ever developing pitching internally.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-spt-cb-cubs-mlb-draft-picks-20190604-story.html

• Disagree
Reactions: chuckd4735

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I hate the Cubs. Mostly because every Hawk fan I know is a Cubs fan. Born in Chicago, loved the Harry Carey years but I can't break bread with so many Hawk fans. I had to kick the Cubbies to the curb.

Nobdy cares but this felt good to type. Last night was glorious because I knew so many Hawk fans were crying. Sorry Cy-Cub fans.