MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
@CYdTracked If the Cubs get rid of Schwarber/KB whose Shirsey do you recommend me getting so I can wear it to slow pitch to beat you next year?

HA! Maybe you can get a Ross jersey if he gets the manager gig! That would be fitting I think. I think Javy and Rizzo are likely to remain Cubs the longest at this point. I don't hate Schwarber I just think he is a poor fit for this team and they should cash out now while he had a rebound year because they should have done that a couple years ago when he had a lot more trade value.

My favorite Cub is Rizzo and I don't even own a shirt with his name on it. Before him it was Derek Lee so maybe I have a soft spot for Cubs 1B as I did like Mark Grace too? As I've gotten older I've strayed away from buying jerseys since seems like hardly any player stays with a pro team for their entire career anymore.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Kaplan is the Skip Bayless of this organization and is why he will have little to nothing to do with the Marquee Network.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see a lot of those guys gone. I would be shocked to see it THAT drastic

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see the Cubs take Q’s option and then flip him.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Job Morosi pointing at the Rangers as a potential trade partner for Bryant. They don’t have a ton that I like, unless we somehow got a return of Mazara, Calhoun, Leclerc, and a top prospect.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Jon Heyman: A fair number of people around basebal believe the Cubs' job is David Ross' if he wants it. The bigger question may be: how badly does he want it?

Love, love, love.

From The Players Tribune, August 4, 2016

Rizzo
I actually first met Rossy a few years ago when he was still with the Red Sox. We were both in Bristol doing the ESPN car wash. We had lunch one day, and for like an hour and a half, he was talking baseball, and I was just sitting there … listening. The next time I talked to my agent — who was also Rossy’s agent — I said to him, “That’s exactly what we need in our clubhouse to become a better team: A guy like David Ross.” Thankfully, we ended up signing him before last season.

Ross
Yeah. You guys already had a great group when I got here. But I think what this team was missing was confidence. Like, when you’re a young group — which you guys are — it’s O.K. to be good and to say that you’re good. But that’s hard to do when you don’t know what being good looks like. So when Jon Lester and myself come in, coming off a World Series, it’s different. Jon and I have seen winning. We know what winning looks like. So we come into this locker room last year and look around like, This guy’s a winner. That guy’s a winner. Rizz is a winner. KB’s a winner. It gives you guys the confidence to come together and do all the things that winning teams do.

Bryant
Yeah. I just think it’s like … you always wanna do well individually. But any time you talk to Rossy, you see that he doesn’t care about the individual stuff. He wants a ring. So when you’re a young guy and you see this guy who — it’s his last year, and he just wants to win. That’s infectious.

AND

Rizzo
Yeah … so … even on the field, when it’s all business, I can still have a good time. Where Rossy over here can’t, haha.

Ross
No, I can’t. I don’t have a good time when I play. I have a good time when it’s over and we win. You guys know that. I’m not enjoying myself out there … I’m all stressed out.

Bryant
No, you enjoy it.

Ross
Yeah, I do enjoy it. I’m just out there trying not to be the weak link.

AND

Bryant
I’m still quiet. I just like to sit back and listen. I learn a lot by listening. That’s just how I’ve always been.

Ross
Yeah, but you’ve gotten a lot better this year. You’re coming out of your shell a lot more. Like when we were in Miami and you came down to me and started talking to me about hitting. And I’m like, Why’s this dude coming to me — a career .220 hitter — to talk about hitting? Haha …

Bryant
It’s because you’re one of the guys who’s behind the plate who knows how to get me out. And that Marlins series was one where I wasn’t feeling comfortable — and of course, we’re facing Jose Fernandez throwing like 99, which doesn’t make it any easier to get comfortable. And I remember you said to me, “Just take some pitches till you get a strike.”

Ross
Yeah. One of those simple things you just forget when you’re in the heat of the moment.

AND

Ross
That’s another thing about grinding every day. It’s easy to go on autopilot and start overlooking the details — the little things. Me? I’m not playing every day. So it’s easier for me to think about those kinds of things from the bench. I can sit there and think, Why is KB swinging at every pitch? He’s super aggressive today. I wonder why. And if you come to talk to me, those are the things I’m able to impart on you. I’m just not gonna come to you and start coaching you. You gotta come to me.

AND

Rizzo
But that’s the thing. Especially during the year and during the grind, I didn’t even realize how much you’d done for me. I mean … I did … but then when you really get to reflect, you’re like, Holy ****, he taught me this and that, and now I know why we do this a certain way. That’s something I never had before in the big leagues, and I appreciate that. And for KB, that’s all he knows now. So it’s easy for him to just carry himself that way and be that example for the guys who are gonna come up after you’re long gone.

Reactions: psychlone99

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Kaplan on 1460 just said he doesn’t think the below are back.

Russell
Almora
Bryant
Castellanos
Hamels
Quintana
Cishek
Strop
Morrow

He also said he thinks if the right offer came, they would move Javy.
If all those guys are gone I will eat my left shoe. And if they trade Javy I'll eat my right shoe too. Kaplan is a turd

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Kaplan on 1460 just said he doesn’t think the below are back.

Russell
Almora
Bryant
Castellanos
Hamels
Quintana
Cishek
Strop
Morrow

He also said he thinks if the right offer came, they would move Javy.

I stopped listening to Kaplan a long time ago. Unless the "right deal" for Javy includes Frankie Lindor, they aren't moving Baez and Russell.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Kaplan is the Skip Bayless of this organization and is why he will have little to nothing to do with the Marquee Network.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see a lot of those guys gone. I would be shocked to see it THAT drastic

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see the Cubs take Q’s option and then flip him.

The more I think about it, the more I think this will absolutely happen if that extra $11.5M can net them Cole or Strasburg.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The Cubs need to add some disciplined/high on base % guys at the top of the lineup. The roster is overloaded with swing for the fence/high K hitters.

From a pitching standpoint the Cubs need a #1 starter either through trade or free agent.

Guys who I think are gone:
Contreras - IMO Caratini calls a much better game and Contreras could be a valuable trade piece.
Russell - great defense, but Cubs need a better bat at 2nd
Schwarber/Rizzo/Bryant - I could see where 2 of 3 are gone to help acquire an elite top of order hitter and 2/3 starter. This assumes Cubs get #1 starter via free agency. It might also help keep Castellanos.
Quintana - his price might be right, but IMO the Cubs already have their 4/5 starters in Hendricks & Lester. It may make sense to only keep 1 of Hendricks or Lester and go with a young arm as the 5th starter or use bullpen as 5th starter.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Job Morosi pointing at the Rangers as a potential trade partner for Bryant. They don’t have a ton that I like, unless we somehow got a return of Mazara, Calhoun, Leclerc, and a top prospect.

I don't buy it. The Rangers might love to partner up over Bryant, but I really don't see how it makes sense for the Cubs.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The Cubs need to add some disciplined/high on base % guys at the top of the lineup. The roster is overloaded with swing for the fence/high K hitters.

From a pitching standpoint the Cubs need a #1 starter either through trade or free agent.

Guys who I think are gone:
Contreras - IMO Caratini calls a much better game and Contreras could be a valuable trade piece.
Russell - great defense, but Cubs need a better bat at 2nd
Schwarber/Rizzo/Bryant - I could see where 2 of 3 are gone to help acquire an elite top of order hitter and 2/3 starter. This assumes Cubs get #1 starter via free agency. It might also help keep Castellanos.
Quintana - his price might be right, but IMO the Cubs already have their 4/5 starters in Hendricks & Lester. It may make sense to only keep 1 of Hendricks or Lester and go with a young arm as the 5th starter or use bullpen as 5th starter.

Hendricks is much better than a #4 starter (seriously, he was top 20 in all of baseball in almost every meaningful category besides strikeout rate, and he was in the top 40 in that category). I can see them trading for another playoff-caliber starter if they don't have the cheddar to get Cole or Strasburg, but a top 3 of Cole, Darvish, Hendricks is damn good. I think you're really overestimating how good the typical 4/5 starter in MLB is.

Also, you just floated the idea of moving out Quintana (and I agree with that) *and* one of Lester or Hendricks (which would have to be Hendricks, because no one is trading for Lester and his salary at his age after the season he just had), while they already have Hamels' spot to fill. If they actually followed that plan, they might as well blow the whole thing up and strip it down to the studs, because no way are they going to be able to fill the 2-3 and 5th spots in the rotation, address the offense's issues, and be competitive at the same time.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I don't buy it. The Rangers might love to partner up over Bryant, but I really don't see how it makes sense for the Cubs.

The disinformation season has already begun. Agents and media put all sorts of stuff out there.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I hope whoever the next manager is understands the importance of manufacturing some runs if the bats are cold. I took a look at some of Joe's tendencies this past season. A couple things stood out......

His steal rate at 2nd base was down to 5.1% this past season, down from 9.8% and 8.4% his first couple years, and the lowest of his tenure.

His sacrifice bunt rate was .2% which was by far the lowest of his tenure, in fact they only had 3 sacrifices the entire season. That's pathetic!!!

Either Joe knew he was on the way out and started getting lazy this year, sitting back and waiting for the home run, or Theo needs to get him some smarter players that can do the small things that win baseball games.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I hope whoever the next manager is understands the importance of manufacturing some runs if the bats are cold. I took a look at some of Joe's tendencies this past season. A couple things stood out......

His steal rate at 2nd base was down to 5.1% this past season, down from 9.8% and 8.4% his first couple years, and the lowest of his tenure.

His sacrifice bunt rate was .2% which was by far the lowest of his tenure, in fact they only had 3 sacrifices the entire season. That's pathetic!!!

Either Joe knew he was on the way out and started getting lazy this year, sitting back and waiting for the home run, or Theo needs to get him some smarter players that can do the small things that win baseball games.

This is an area where the Cardinals excel.

I’d love to see Ross as the head man as a mentor and strategist - he said since he was always on the bench he was always given the opportunity to think of ways the team and teammates could improve their game. I also would love to see a bench coach who may not have the player-friendly role as we typically see there and instead focus on areas of weakness and how to improve them

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I wouldn’t say Hendricks is a 4, but if he is the 4th best starting pitcher for us, we have a pretty damn impressive rotation.

I personally would like to go into the season with Cole, Darvish, Hendricks, Lester, Rea as our starting rotation. Rea would make a cheap option and he earned it after his performance in Iowa this season (PCL Pitcher of the Year in a hitter-friendly league)

And if Rea isn’t working but the top 4 are lights out, make a move to get a 2-3 pitcher.

Keep in mind if we get Cole we’re sitting with a 1-3 who still have 3 year on their contracts

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I wouldn’t say Hendricks is a 4, but if he is the 4th best starting pitcher for us, we have a pretty damn impressive rotation.

I personally would like to go into the season with Cole, Darvish, Hendricks, Lester, Rea as our starting rotation. Rea would make a cheap option and he earned it after his performance in Iowa this season (PCL Pitcher of the Year in a hitter-friendly league)

And if Rea isn’t working but the top 4 are lights out, make a move to get a 2-3 pitcher.

Keep in mind if we get Cole we’re sitting with a 1-3 who still have 3 year on their contracts

My son said he saw Rea working out at the gym so he's not taking any postseason time off sounds like. I actually thought he'd be up in September with how well he pitched for the I-Cubs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron