MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That double steal in the top of the 9th where Rizzo was out by a mile at third almost came back to bite us. That was a dumb call.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Don't even want to think about giving that one up with six more left on the road and hovering around .500.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I fell asleep with the Cubs up 2-0 heading into the 9th. It was quite the wtf moment when I saw the score this morning.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I would agree in most cases, but Davis was already warmed up and ready to go and this is the Nationals, who have one of the best offenses in baseball

They had basically gotten through the heart of their order the previous inning though. You had Murphy, then the bottom of the order.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Why burn your closer with a five run lead? If Rondon can't even hold a five run lead at this point, then why is he on the roster is a better question?
He was already warm and ready to go. Once we scored more in the 9th, we sat him and quickly warmed Randon. It's the mental thing for me. Randon figured he was not going in, and was quickly thrown into the mix. Honestly, Davis should of been brought in during the 8th to get the final four outs rather then bringing Grimm in.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
He was already warm and ready to go. Once we scored more in the 9th, we sat him and quickly warmed Randon. It's the mental thing for me. Randon figured he was not going in, and was quickly thrown into the mix. Honestly, Davis should of been brought in during the 8th to get the final four outs rather then bringing Grimm in.

There's a mental thing with closers in non-save situations too. I know the first runs Davis allowed this year were in a rare non-save situation. If you bring Davis into the game in the 8th for a four out save, something he hasn't done all year, he's also leading off the 9th and you probably don't get three insurance runs in the top of the inning. Plus Grimm has been lights out since coming back from Iowa, I like seeing him get more high leverage opportunities as he's earned that.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and HFCS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron