NFL: ***Official 2016 Fantasy Football Thread***

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
PPR. Bell's a good possibility. The ultimate boom or bust proposal would be Bell and Zeke Elliott. I'm convinced that those two will both be top five fantasy running backs or total duds - Bell due to suspensions/injuries, and Elliott due to possibly being overrated. Not much middle ground.

I'd probably go with one or the other, not both. Grab a less risky pick with the other one.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I'm drafting at the back end of the first round in a snake order draft in a ten team PPR league. In the past I've usually paired an elite pass catcher with their QB teammate (Brady/Gronk, for example) in those back to back picks and it's generally worked out pretty well.

But with the fantasy QB pool as deep as it is, I'm thinking about just taking the best two running backs left on the board at that point. I'd like to hold off on taking a QB until the fourth round or so, unless there's an unexpected run on them early.

Thoughts?

I agree with waiting for a QB, but I'm planning on going even further back to the 7th/8th round for a Manning, Rivers, Bortles type. I wouldn't even mind a Cousins or Carr guy. The per week scoring difference between these guys and a Brees or Luck is literally 2-3 points, if that (at least in my league). Granted consistency is worth something I suppose, but so is upside.

Anyway, if I were you I'd definitely take an elite RB, but I might go WR with the 2nd depending what's left.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I agree with waiting for a QB, but I'm planning on going even further back to the 7th/8th round for a Manning, Rivers, Bortles type. I wouldn't even mind a Cousins or Carr guy. The per week scoring difference between these guys and a Brees or Luck is literally 2-3 points, if that (at least in my league). Granted consistency is worth something I suppose, but so is upside.

Anyway, if I were you I'd definitely take an elite RB, but I might go WR with the 2nd depending what's left.
I'm with you on Rivers and Manning but Carr and Bottles make me nervous. I think Bortles' fantasy numbers are going to drop just because the Jags are going to be more competitive and he won't be playing from behind all the time. And I want to see a lot more consistency from Carr before I trust him as a weekly starter.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm drafting at the back end of the first round in a snake order draft in a ten team PPR league. In the past I've usually paired an elite pass catcher with their QB teammate (Brady/Gronk, for example) in those back to back picks and it's generally worked out pretty well.

But with the fantasy QB pool as deep as it is, I'm thinking about just taking the best two running backs left on the board at that point. I'd like to hold off on taking a QB until the fourth round or so, unless there's an unexpected run on them early.

Thoughts?

I always wait on a QB, and I'm in a 12-team league. In a 10-team draft, assuming you start just one QB, there's no need to use an early pick. You're going to get someone pretty good. I'd rather fill a RB and WR spot with those two, especially in a PPR.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
PPR. Bell's a good possibility. The ultimate boom or bust proposal would be Bell and Zeke Elliott. I'm convinced that those two will both be top five fantasy running backs or total duds - Bell due to suspensions/injuries, and Elliott due to possibly being overrated. Not much middle ground.

I'd be surprised if Zeke is there for you at the 10 spot. He's everyone's darling right now.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I'm with you on Rivers and Manning but Carr and Bottles make me nervous. I think Bortles' fantasy numbers are going to drop just because the Jags are going to be more competitive and he won't be playing from behind all the time. And I want to see a lot more consistency from Carr before I trust him as a weekly starter.

I agree that Bortles will go down, but in my league he scored 334 last year, which was good enough for 4th best. Even if he drops to like 290 that puts him right behind Rivers & Manning. I'm not saying that WILL happen, but I believe it's more likely than a total collapse.

As far as Carr goes I don't really know much about him, other than the Raiders upgraded the O-line. Because of that & not much else changed (that I know of), I am going to assume he'll post another 285 point year.

My top QB targets are probably Cousins & Stafford, just seem like good value guys (both scored just over 300 fantasy points last season) in much later rounds.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I agree that Bortles will go down, but in my league he scored 334 last year, which was good enough for 4th best. Even if he drops to like 290 that puts him right behind Rivers & Manning. I'm not saying that WILL happen, but I believe it's more likely than a total collapse.

As far as Carr goes I don't really know much about him, other than the Raiders upgraded the O-line. Because of that & not much else changed (that I know of), I am going to assume he'll post another 285 point year.

My top QB targets are probably Cousins & Stafford, just seem like good value guys (both scored just over 300 fantasy points last season) in much later rounds.

Yeah, I like Stafford. I'm also a big fan of Tyrod Taylor and jameis Winston if we're talking good value QBs that can be had fairly late.

Reactions: Tailg8er

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I usually wait on QBs, and then it gets to Round 10 and I realize some doofus has 3 QBs on his team already. so I end up with Cutler.

Reactions: jbindm

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I usually wait on QBs, and then it gets to Round 10 and I realize some doofus has 3 QBs on his team already. so I end up with Cutler.

I keep an eye on QBs after the 5th. There's always a run when people realize the pickings are getting slim.

Of course there's usually someone who goes undrafted and has good year. You just have to be willing and able to jump on them when they emerge.

I got Carson Palmer in the 11th last year and he did quite well.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I keep an eye on QBs after the 5th. There's always a run when people realize the pickings are getting slim.

Of course there's usually someone who goes undrafted and has good year. You just have to be willing and able to jump on them when they emerge.

I got Carson Palmer in the 11th last year and he did quite well.

Yeah, you have to watch for the sudden run on QBs. In some leagues there's kind of a herd mentality when it comes to the draft. One person takes a Manning or a Rivers, the next person takes a QB, and next thing you know there's some something dumb like four of the next five picks are all quarterbacks and you're suddenly staring down Alex Smith or Jay Cutler as your potential starter.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah, you have to watch for the sudden run on QBs. In some leagues there's kind of a herd mentality when it comes to the draft. One person takes a Manning or a Rivers, the next person takes a QB, and next thing you know there's some something dumb like four of the next five picks are all quarterbacks and you're suddenly staring down Alex Smith or Jay Cutler as your potential starter.

Sometimes those runs work out for you too though. A run on QBs early means more top tier WRs and RBs for you. You just have to be smart and have contingency plans in place for QB.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Sometimes those runs work out for you too though. A run on QBs early means more top tier WRs and RBs for you. You just have to be smart and have contingency plans in place for QB.

Totally agree. I love it if the QB run starts in the 4th or 5th round. I'll wait until the 7th, take an Eli type and be happy.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
So after never doing Fantasy Football and being annoyed by it, I got talked into trying it out for a season by some co-workers. The closer we get to our draft and the more I study and prep, I got to admit, I'm getting into this

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
So after never doing Fantasy Football and being annoyed by it, I got talked into trying it out for a season by some co-workers. The closer we get to our draft and the more I study and prep, I got to admit, I'm getting into this
Unless you're terrible at it, it'll become an addiction.

• Agree

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

It's a lot of fun. I've been in the same 12-man league for 15 years, finished 2nd 4 times, never won the title, so I'm the Buffalo Bills of our league. But I did win a buddy's office league in my first season there. It has the power to change the way you watch football, you lose sight of the bigger picture and just cheer for stat lines which is a little sad, but I agree with the other guy, it's addicting and there's a lot of strategy involved.

• Agree

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
It's a lot of fun. I've been in the same 12-man league for 15 years, finished 2nd 4 times, never won the title, so I'm the Buffalo Bills of our league. But I did win a buddy's office league in my first season there. It has the power to change the way you watch football, you lose sight of the bigger picture and just cheer for stat lines which is a little sad, but I agree with the other guy, it's addicting and there's a lot of strategy involved.

Yeah I think my old roommate ruined Fantasy for me in the past. He made watching NFL unbearable. He was totally consumed. Yelling at teams to get his guys the ball. Freaking out if a player scored that his opponent had on his team. The worst was when he would openly cheer against the Broncos if the other team had guys on his roster. I wanted to punch him.

I'm going to try to have fun with it and see if I like it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah I think my old roommate ruined Fantasy for me in the past. He made watching NFL unbearable. He was totally consumed. Yelling at teams to get his guys the ball. Freaking out if a player scored that his opponent had on his team. The worst was when he would openly cheer against the Broncos if the other team had guys on his roster. I wanted to punch him.

I'm going to try to have fun with it and see if I like it.

I will say fantasy football isn't as bad at changing the way you watch/cheer football as straight up betting on games. At least for me. Very glad to have mostly given that up. Of course, living in a van down by the river as a result kind of blows.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
What do you guys think of Carlos Hyde this year?

I like him, but I hate his supporting cast and schedule. He'll get a ton of touches in an uptempo offense. The big question is how much he'll be able to do with those touches because his QB is goingto be Blaine Gabbert or Colin Kaepernick. Plus he's going to see three very stout defensive fronts twice each - Rams, Cardinals, Seahawks. If he played in another division I'd take him in the third round without a second thought, but he has a brutal schedule.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron